Cervelo Áspero Gravel bike

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

scoobydrew

by scoobydrew

wheelie wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 7:50 pm
Hi all!
Is this bottom bracket correct for the Aspero with Apex 1 crank? https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/b ... black.html

Thanks!
Yes that's the one. There's also a variation with the angular contact bearings if you wish.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

itapersita wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:32 pm
bmCube wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:30 am
I removed it and replaced it with a lizard skins carbon leather downtube protector, cut to size. went from 40 grams cervélo to 16 grams lizard skins.

good to know, thanks. i was afraid to remove it because it's glued to the frame
I removed mine, used some 3M PPF for a little bit, but decided to make one out of 1.3mm KYTEX as I wanted a bit more protection from rocks.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

bmCube

by bmCube

Do you have a picture of yours? @IrrelevantD

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

bmCube wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 7:11 pm
Do you have a picture of yours? @IrrelevantD
Actually, I don't. I used the same stuff to make some protection against dropped chains around the bottom bracket. I didn't take any pictures of what I made for the downtube.

* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

bmCube

by bmCube

:thumbup: okay, looks nice and sturdy around the bb.

kode54

by kode54

Seems a bit excessive. Wouldn’t it be lighter and more aesthetically pleasing with a chain catcher?
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

kode54 wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 1:58 pm
Seems a bit excessive. Wouldn’t it be lighter and more aesthetically pleasing with a chain catcher?
that's part of the problem. Had a chain drop, get caught by the chainring bolt and ripped past the K-Edge catcher... actually bent and ruined the catcher. So not only did the chain damage the paint all the way down to the carbon on the downtube and chainstay, but the catcher scratched the paint as well. I actually went a step further than KYTEX and more recently replaced my crank arms with SRAM's "wide" arms to get another 2.5mm of clearance between the rings and the frame.

As for the weight... KYTEX is pretty light. I'd bet that all of the material I've used on my frame weighs about the same or less than the factory rubber protectors and an alloy chain catcher. I also have a D-Four power meter, so it's all completely hidden behind the spider.

rbeckz

by rbeckz

Not a lot of 650/27.5 posts, thought I'd share mine. Very fun on the singletrack, definitely overkill for anything less than FS roads.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

rbeckz wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:16 pm

Not a lot of 650/27.5 posts, thought I'd share mine. Very fun on the singletrack, definitely overkill for anything less than FS roads.
If that's the 27.5x2.0, be careful on the back. I ran mine as a mullet with a 2.0" RaceKing on the back for a few rides and wore a nice little line through the paint on the inside of my chainstays. It was soooo much better than the 650x47 WTB Senduro on singletrack, but not worth the risk of frame damage. I was running it on a 25mm internal Easton ARC25 Offset rim.

rbeckz

by rbeckz

Wow, through the tape and paint in only a few rides. Yes they are the 27.5x2.0s, but on a smaller rim (22i, 25.5ext), measuring out ~48.5mm. I've got helicopter tape on the chainstays, but will monitor it. Too bad, it does make me curious to try a Wi.De or comparable frame with truly fat tires. Though maybe it is just time to buy a MTB...

belopsky

by belopsky

Recently picked up an apex1 Aspero. Only carbon bike in my garage now. Not really sure why it's so heavy? I put in my Bontrager wheels and am down to 20.xx lbs now. Is it the cranks , bars, seatpost that's the big items ? I did weigh it without seatpost and seat just to see and it was 19.14lbs . Guessing the crank needs to go- Apex1 crankset is 800g+

Any suggestions? Red 1x? Ea90? I'd need a new bottom bracket either way..

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

rbeckz wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:09 am
Wow, through the tape and paint in only a few rides. Yes they are the 27.5x2.0s, but on a smaller rim (22i, 25.5ext), measuring out ~48.5mm. I've got helicopter tape on the chainstays, but will monitor it. Too bad, it does make me curious to try a Wi.De or comparable frame with truly fat tires. Though maybe it is just time to buy a MTB...
Yea, I have a MTB as well for the truely rough stuff, but sometimes it's just more fun to take the Aspero out and see the reactions from the people with full face helmets and full body armor on relatively tame trails 😂

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

belopsky wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:04 am
Recently picked up an apex1 Aspero. Only carbon bike in my garage now. Not really sure why it's so heavy? I put in my Bontrager wheels and am down to 20.xx lbs now. Is it the cranks , bars, seatpost that's the big items ? I did weigh it without seatpost and seat just to see and it was 19.14lbs . Guessing the crank needs to go- Apex1 crankset is 800g+

Any suggestions? Red 1x? Ea90? I'd need a new bottom bracket either way..
As I recall, the Apex cranks are fairly weighty and the wheels that come with that build are going to add a lot. I'd probably go for some carbon hoops first, then see what you can find for a Force crankset. My personal opinion, I can't justify the additional cost to go to Red. If you're OK with buying used, you might be able to find a decent Force GXP crankset and not have to replace the bottom bracket. That being said, the BB that comes direct from Cervelo is generally pretty crappy and most of us end up having to replace it fairly quick, so may be worth it to just go ahead and switch to DUB if you go with a brand new crank.

belopsky

by belopsky

Thanks! Yep, I swapped to some Aeolus wheels and put a Force1 GXP on already. Bike is 8860g now, no pedals. I have some KCNC rotors and adapters coming that should subtract another 140g! After that I'll be addressing the bars/stem + seatpost/seat.

J&L thru axle will save a bit too. I'd like to get it down to 8.5Kg but we'll see what happens

belopsky

by belopsky

8690kg (with Rene herse Barlow pass tires, not pictured). I put some zipp xplr bars on today and haven't taken weight or new photos.

Waiting on some j&l skewers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com