Gravel tire rolling resistance tested

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Giant DK

by Giant DK

RDY wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:57 pm
Test quite well? We haven't seen any objective testing of Ultradynamico tires. I messaged them asking about it and they said they'd probably get some to BRR at some point. Hopefully they will.
I refered to the Panaracer. I'm also missing some real reviews on the UD since all reviews is more like mentions on different less performance oriented sites. I don't believe they are any better than anything else on the market. I assesed them on background on how Panaraver and expecially the René Herse tires had performed in different test and the took the shot since I was in intruged by them and had ti have a replacement 650b with max width 50mm. And the UD matched that. Now in real life I can just say that I can matched my segment times of the my skinnier tires which I was now where close to on the Pirelli Cinturato Gravel M in 50mm. So don't take my word for more than it is. This is just my experience and feeling - I can't back it up. The only thing I can put facts on is the cosideral weigt difference.
Techn writer at Velomore Denmark

My Simplon Pavo II

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RDY

by RDY

The Cava Race 42s look good to me, but I'd rather not spend €150 on a pair of tires without some data.

Tofast

by Tofast

I have a friend that used ultra dynamics tires but he more or less threw them away within months as both sets where leaking through the sidewalls and eating tubeless fluid.. he had flat tires more or less every ride.
But they rolled really quickly but I would stay away from them.

FreeZ

by FreeZ

RDY wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:45 pm
The Cava Race 42s look good to me, but I'd rather not spend €150 on a pair of tires without some data.
Also very intrested about this tire, but size 33. Have been riding Cava JFF in 650B setup and it was superb. No problems etc with tubeless setup.

Giant DK

by Giant DK

RDY wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:45 pm
To be clear, I was a cheapass and got the JFF version which cost around the same, maybe a bit more, than other similar tires that was on my list. The casing might not be the same and the grey Race version, but also wanted a more robust version than the race version.

My Simplon Pavo II

RDY

by RDY

Tofast wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:23 pm
I have a friend that used ultra dynamics tires but he more or less threw them away within months as both sets where leaking through the sidewalls and eating tubeless fluid.. he had flat tires more or less every ride.
I've heard people say this about various Panaracer and Panaracer-made tubeless tires for years, but never seen it in the flesh, and never experienced it. If sealant is weeping out of the sidewalls on a vulcanized (rather than cotton) tire, then you really should demand a refund or replacement. Then, if there really is a widespread problem, they'll be motivated to fix the production issues that are presumably causing it.

Giant DK

by Giant DK

RDY wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:46 pm
Tofast wrote:
I've heard people say this about various Panaracer and Panaracer-made tubeless tires for years, but never seen it in the flesh, and never experienced it. If sealant is weeping out of the sidewalls on a vulcanized (rather than cotton) tire, then you really should demand a refund or replacement. Then, if there really is a widespread problem, they'll be motivated to fix the production issues that are presumably causing it.
Have also heard this but only with the René Herse extralight casing. Check this "Rides of Japan" youtube video.

My Simplon Pavo II

RDY

by RDY

Giant DK wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:33 pm
RDY wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:46 pm
Tofast wrote:
Have also heard this but only with the René Herse extralight casing. Check this "Rides of Japan" youtube video.

I've seen people complain about RH and various GKs, though very rarely with GKs in the last couple of years.

Edit: When I said I didn't want to spend €150 on a pair of tires without some data, I didn't realize that prices had been creeping up. A pair of Cava Race 42s now goes for €180-190 :shock:

Giant DK

by Giant DK

RDY wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:30 pm
Edit: When I said I didn't want to spend €150 on a pair of tires without some data, I didn't realize that prices had been creeping up. A pair of Cava Race 42s now goes for €180-190 :shock:
Yeah, that is freeking expensive. The single most expensive tire out there - if you look apart from specific handmade tubulars and other tires for the track. And with out any test data to back up that the are at least on the same level as other top tier tires I would never buy the Race versions since they are also decribed as fragile - or rather not a punture proctive as other tires.

But going back to where I started a UD ROSé in the JFF version (not ultra expensive, just expensive) it is in the 48mm version in 650b size very competive on the weight and my experience is also it is competive on rolling resistance compared to other tires in this width and size.

My Simplon Pavo II

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

I'd love to see some UD tyres tested to see if they're any better than the Panaracer tyres made in the same factory given that the Panaracer ones are much cheaper. If I'm going to pay that much I'd want something measurably better than the competition.

The Cava Race is on the voting list at BRR and could make it if enough people voted for it. It'd be far more interesting than yet another test of a Corsa N.EXT or GP5000!

RDY

by RDY

The 42 Cava Race isn't on there. Only the 33 - which I don't really see the point of. That's CX territory and there are much better tires for that purpose. I requested the 42.

Problem with all the tires in the database vis a vis new tests in 2023 is that they won't be comparable. Tube vs tubeless, and a flat reduction applied to all the tube-tested tires.

FreeZ

by FreeZ

RDY wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:07 pm
The 42 Cava Race isn't on there. Only the 33 - which I don't really see the point of. That's CX territory and there are much better tires for that purpose. I requested the 42.

Problem with all the tires in the database vis a vis new tests in 2023 is that they won't be comparable. Tube vs tubeless, and a flat reduction applied to all the tube-tested tires.
Hope they test 33s too because it is in important "allroad" category. That is in top of my shortlist for this type of tyre, fast with some thread.

RDY

by RDY

FreeZ wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:36 pm
RDY wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:07 pm

Hope they test 33s too because it is in important "allroad" category. That is in top of my shortlist for this type of tyre, fast with some thread.
I think it's highly unlikely to be anywhere near as fast as file / herringbone tread all road tires (Strada Bianca for example), whilst being much more puncture prone. It also won't compete with CX tires for such low width offroad capability.

There's a possibility it has lower RR than a Getaway or Thundero in larger sizes, with acceptable puncture resistance, whilst having better grip on loose surfaces than a SB.

Also for all road, aero would matter more, and I imagine the sea of micro treads will contribute way more drag than something more conventional.

If it has a case, I think it'll be in the big sizes for gravel in exclusively dry conditions, rather than all road.

markdjr

by markdjr

I've ridden a few of the different Challenge HTLR treads and sizes as well as several of the UD Race tires and of course Pro Ones and STR for road riding. My seat of the pants impression is that the Challenge smooth/file tread tires are about as quick as the road tires. The 33c UD race tire feels pretty quick as well. The 42c UD race tire feels a little more sluggish than the previously mentioned tires, but not slow by any means. The UD 650b 2.2" tire is super loud on the road, but amazing off road. The UD tires in the race casing provide a very comfortable ride.

Giant DK

by Giant DK

markdjr wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:12 am
The UD 650b 2.2" tire is super loud on the road, but amazing off road. The UD tires in the race casing provide a very comfortable ride.

UD in 650b 2,2" also only comes in the Mars version. Try the ROSé, which is 48mm/1,9". It is a little loud on road, but roles good and is also amazine off road - of course not with the same grip as the Mars.

Can also vote for the "cheaper" JFF version. The casing is also very subble on these.

My Simplon Pavo II

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com