Gravel tire rolling resistance tested

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

voicycle

by voicycle

CampagYOLO wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:00 pm
Michelin Power Gravel? I had good experiences with the 40mm version
Good shout, thanks. Any sense of how much longer-wearing they are than Terra Speeds? Looks like they're about the same price for me depending on which retailer has stock and what discounts are going, so I'd want to know I'm getting significantly more miles out of them. They look like they'll handle similarly though, which is important if I'm only going to spend a week or so on my race tyres prior to each event.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

emotive

by emotive

voicycle wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:32 pm
BRyder wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:05 am
I saw a picture on IG of Pathfinder 700x47mm. I'm looking forward to trying these out, when they become available.
I was just able to place an order for them from Tredz here in the UK. Specialized Concept Store website is also taking orders.

I've been waiting for this tyre for bikepacking races. I've got a set of 45c Cinturato Ms here still packaged - I was going to see if I liked them enough to use instead of my 42c Pathfinders in order to get a bit of extra volume, but what I really wanted was just a slightly bigger Pathfinder. Pirellis are now going back!

Cinturatos were also going to be an experiment in using a winter tyre, but realistically there aren't that many more 'winter' rides left this year. Plus when I ordered I hadn't considered the fact that 45s won't fit under my mudguards. Might try the M's in size 40 next winter, but for now I'll just stick with my Terra Speeds/Pathfinder 42s/Pathfinder 47s as my three options.

I'd love a longer lasting 'training' alternative to the Terra Speeds, but it seems like Tufo are more puncture-prone and, at least in the UK, Challenge Getaways are nearly double the price. It kind of makes it seem worth it to just keep going through three sets of Contis a year. I guess it's either that or spend more time on Pathfinders, but I really prefer the Contis unless I need the extra puncture protection, and especially if there are lots of paved roads linking up my gravel sections.
I have the Pathfinder in 700x42 and recently bought Cinturato M in 650bx50 for rides where I want more volume. They are very good. The solid centre rolls better than expected. I am surprised that I dont give up much speed with the M, and just set a PR on a 4km gradual rail trail descent that I had ridden the week before on the Pathfinders.

I am using the Pathfinder for mixed road and gravel routes, or all light gravel routes, and the M for 100% gravel, or any time it may get choppy.

On Saturday I rode with a group of 6, including a guy on 700x35 M's and a girl on 700x40 M's and they both love them. Its summer here but I think they will get some good use in winter.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

voicycle wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:58 pm
CampagYOLO wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:00 pm
Michelin Power Gravel? I had good experiences with the 40mm version
Good shout, thanks. Any sense of how much longer-wearing they are than Terra Speeds? Looks like they're about the same price for me depending on which retailer has stock and what discounts are going, so I'd want to know I'm getting significantly more miles out of them. They look like they'll handle similarly though, which is important if I'm only going to spend a week or so on my race tyres prior to each event.
Never used the Terra Speeds before so can't compare I'm afraid. Mine did a lot of tarmac as I commuted on them but they held up very well. Grip on dry gravel was excellent.

voicycle

by voicycle

Pathfinder 47s arrived. 563/551g
Inflated to 45mm on a 21c rim at 45psi. If it holds air I’ll measure again in a few days, but I’m not likely to ride these soon so I’m not putting sealant in just yet. Might just be deflated by teatime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Interesting. On 25mm TSS rims, the 42c pathfinders were 44.3mm for me.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

CasualRider

by CasualRider

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:58 pm
Interesting. On 25mm TSS rims, the 42c pathfinders were 44.3mm for me.
Same here. Curious to see if 47s really measure 47 on 25mm internal. If so that might be new winner here.
Tarmac SL8 Maganta Gold
Crux Green Pearl

Previous bikes:
Crux Forest Green
Tarmac SL7 Snake Eye
Venge Bora Team
Venge Purple
Trek Madone SLR 7

Giant DK

by Giant DK

emotive wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:35 pm
I have the Pathfinder in 700x42 and recently bought Cinturato M in 650bx50 for rides where I want more volume. They are very good. The solid centre rolls better than expected. I am surprised that I dont give up much speed with the M, and just set a PR on a 4km gradual rail trail descent that I had ridden the week before on the Pathfinders.

I am using the Pathfinder for mixed road and gravel routes, or all light gravel routes, and the M for 100% gravel, or any time it may get choppy.

On Saturday I rode with a group of 6, including a guy on 700x35 M's and a girl on 700x40 M's and they both love them. Its summer here but I think they will get some good use in winter.
Try Ultradynamico ROSé 650bx47,99 - they are much faster, more comfy (and lighter!!!) than Cinturato Gravel M.
Techn writer at Velomore Denmark

My Simplon Pavo II

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

How do you know they are "much faster"? Of the tires BRR (I know this isn't perfect, but certainly better than "it feels fast") the Cinturato M 40 is among the fastest tires with over 2mm center and 2mm edge thread (which is likely what you'd want for mud and choppy terrain) at low tire pressure.
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

Giant DK

by Giant DK

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:10 am
How do you know they are "much faster"? Of the tires BRR (I know this isn't perfect, but certainly better than "it feels fast") the Cinturato M 40 is among the fastest tires with over 2mm center and 2mm edge thread (which is likely what you'd want for mud and choppy terrain) at low tire pressure.
By looking at my average speed and Strava segments. I have had the 650bx50 version and changed to Ultradynamico. The feel is like night and day. Whether it is because it is more subble, is 150 gram lighter per tire, tread compound or tread pattern I don't know. I would assume it is mainly because of the subble tire walls and the weight difference. If the difference is that big when meassured in seconds I don't care when the difference in feel is like comming from a heavy truck to a race car (OK - I might be exaggerating).

I also have the Cinturato Gravel M in 700cx40. I really like its grip, but they are heavy too and what strikes me most is the lack of subbleness. They feel stiff and as a result I ride pretty low pressure. What I lack then is top speed - especially on smoother sections or tarmac.

My Simplon Pavo II

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Definitely agree on them feeling stiff. Can't say they feel particularly slow for what they are (a super wide tire, that grips well in the dirt and sheds mud particularly well).
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

voicycle

by voicycle

voicycle wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:32 pm
BRyder wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:05 am
I saw a picture on IG of Pathfinder 700x47mm. I'm looking forward to trying these out, when they become available.
I was just able to place an order for them from Tredz here in the UK. Specialized Concept Store website is also taking orders.
@boots2000 I don't appear to have enough forum permissions to reply to your DM, but I mentioned where I got them from in an earlier post here. Hope that helps!

jfranci3

by jfranci3

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Those are just remixes of Panaracer / Rene Herse offerings. They wouldn't roll any different than a GK SS or SK (at best).

Giant DK

by Giant DK

jfranci3 wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:54 pm
FlatlandClimber wrote:
Those are just remixes of Panaracer / Rene Herse offerings. They wouldn't roll any different than a GK SS or SK (at best).
And that shouldn't be a suprise, since Panaracer produce the UD and RH tires. But these also test pretty well. And I'm not saying you should buy UD over RH or for that matter Panaracer. But the reason I suggested UD was that I actually had experience with these over the Cinturato Gravel M in the 650b option, and I can tell you for sure that these are much more forgiving and MUCH lighter (-150gram per tire, which is noticeble). Both RH and UD comes with different casings and how these compare to each other and the casings Panaracer have on there own offerings, that I don't know - not to mention the compound...? But judging from the tread pattern UD ROSé had something that I especially wanted over the René Herse and the Panaracer in a 650b wheelset. They are quite "flat" in the middle giving them good rolling performance when riding "straight", og bigger knobs on the side to give me grip when cornering hard. This is what I, and mean I, want from a wider 650b tires. I have 700c wheelset for good gravel and race, but take the 650b when gravel or forrest sections are more demanding and I want to ride more tecnical/easy single track - when I'm out having fun. I don't believe the knobby RH will have the exact same performance/characteristic and the Panaracer SK does not have the same grippy shoulder knobs. The +650gram Cinturato Gravel M did't give me any joy but made the bike feel like a heavy tractor - my experience.

My Simplon Pavo II

RDY

by RDY

Giant DK wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:36 am
jfranci3 wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:54 pm
FlatlandClimber wrote:
And that shouldn't be a suprise, since Panaracer produce the UD and RH tires. But these also test pretty well. And I'm not saying you should buy UD over RH or for that matter Panaracer. But the reason I suggested UD was that I actually had experience with these over the Cinturato Gravel M in the 650b option, and I can tell you for sure that these are much more forgiving and MUCH lighter (-150gram per tire, which is noticeble). Both RH and UD comes with different casings and how these compare to each other and the casings Panaracer have on there own offerings, that I don't know - not to mention the compound...? But judging from the tread pattern UD ROSé had something that I especially wanted over the René Herse and the Panaracer in a 650b wheelset. They are quite "flat" in the middle giving them good rolling performance when riding "straight", og bigger knobs on the side to give me grip when cornering hard. This is what I, and mean I, want from a wider 650b tires. I have 700c wheelset for good gravel and race, but take the 650b when gravel or forrest sections are more demanding and I want to ride more tecnical/easy single track - when I'm out having fun. I don't believe the knobby RH will have the exact same performance/characteristic and the Panaracer SK does not have the same grippy shoulder knobs. The +650gram Cinturato Gravel M did't give me any joy but made the bike feel like a heavy tractor - my experience.
Test quite well? We haven't seen any objective testing of Ultradynamico tires. I messaged them asking about it and they said they'd probably get some to BRR at some point. Hopefully they will.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PatchuaPatcherson

by PatchuaPatcherson

Some updates regarding my experience with 36c Thunderos-
Got a slow flat off quite a meagre piece of glass. Worked its way between the knobs and opened up a little wound. Sealant was well past it so didn't mend itself. Manged to get a very sizeable nail through the other tyre that same week- same situation- didn't close up.
Swapped the pair over to a wider 25mm internal gravel wheelset and fresh mucoff sealant. The sealant plugged up both holes very nicely which was pretty impressive for the nail. The suppleness of the tyre seems to respond really well to the more supported sidewalls. Am enjoying the tyres now over a wider range of pressures. Hope that's the end of my flat issues for some time but it's on the verge of becoming a concern.