Gravel tire rolling resistance tested

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Chrispee

by Chrispee

UltraMaraFun wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 1:23 pm
Just received my Tufo Swampero HD 44mm in Tan wall, they are a fair bit over the 480g spec weight, as mine weigh 537g on my scales. I am not that fussed as 110g or so extra weight in the scheme of things is minor as I weigh 85kg, and I can (should!) lose around 5-8kg to be a bit nearer race weight.

One thing that I did notice is that the tread depth / tyre knobs are not as aggressive (high) as the pictures indicate, certainly down the middle section of the tyre, which for me is a good thing as they look like an even better all rounder tread pattern in the flesh. The tread also feels quite soft, grippy rubber, so all in all looking forward to getting them on the new bike.

Once my new rig is built and I can get some serious training KM's/miles in before my event in June, I will report back, as it wil be good to compare to the Pirelli Cinturato M (40mm) I have been using, and the 43mm Gravelkings I used previously.

I would post some images that are saved on my phone/PC, I am sure it used to be easy, but now seems difficult to find/see how to do so or you need to use an image hosting site, which seems a bit of a faff.

Would also be very interested to hear how you get on. How do the 44's size up compared to Pirelli? My 40c Pirelli's blow up to 42mm actual. If the Tufos are fire to 44 I could squeeze them on my Aspero

Achase6002

by Achase6002

Chrispee wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 9:48 pm
UltraMaraFun wrote:
Just received my Tufo Swampero HD 44mm in Tan wall, they are a fair bit over the 480g spec weight, as mine weigh 537g on my scales. I am not that fussed as 110g or so extra weight in the scheme of things is minor as I weigh 85kg, and I can (should!) lose around 5-8kg to be a bit nearer race weight.

One thing that I did notice is that the tread depth / tyre knobs are not as aggressive (high) as the pictures indicate, certainly down the middle section of the tyre, which for me is a good thing as they look like an even better all rounder tread pattern in the flesh. The tread also feels quite soft, grippy rubber, so all in all looking forward to getting them on the new bike.

Once my new rig is built and I can get some serious training KM's/miles in before my event in June, I will report back, as it wil be good to compare to the Pirelli Cinturato M (40mm) I have been using, and the 43mm Gravelkings I used previously.

I would post some images that are saved on my phone/PC, I am sure it used to be easy, but now seems difficult to find/see how to do so or you need to use an image hosting site, which seems a bit of a faff.

Would also be very interested to hear how you get on. How do the 44's size up compared to Pirelli? My 40c Pirelli's blow up to 42mm actual. If the Tufos are fire to 44 I could squeeze them on my Aspero
I have 44 thunderos on enve g23 on my aspero. Fit pretty well. I wouldn't run in heavy mud but no issues in dry conditions.

Also can confirm 45 feel way slower than the 40s. But we all know feel isn't always correct

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spazmaster

by spazmaster

I just rode a UCI World Series gravel race and switched out my trusty Pathfinder Pro's for a Swampero 40 HD front and Thundero 40 HD back. HD because I heard good things about the puncture protection. The Swamperos have such grippy knobs and looking at the tread you would think they are slow, but for some reason they feel fast.
Won't be running the Thunderos again. Run a puncture an hour into the race. I've had the Swamperos 44 before and they have held up for me, but to me the PP's are the king of puncture resistance.

UltraMaraFun

by UltraMaraFun

Chrispee wrote:
UltraMaraFun wrote:

Bike was built yesterday and collecting it tonight. I will let you know how the tyres measure, they are on Roval Terra CL wheels (25mm Internal width) so I am assuminmg they may measure slightly wider than 44mm. Will aim to get out on the bike a couple of times this week and report back how the tyres ride in comparison to the Pirelli and Gravelkings.
Bikes:
2024 Giant Revolt Adv Pro - AXS Eagle XX1 / Force D2 / GRX820
2020 SystemSIX Hi-Mod - Dura-Ace Di2 12 Speed
2021 Giant TCR ADV Pro Disc - Ultegra Di2 12 Speed
2020 Giant Revolt ADV 2 - SOLD May 2024
2019 Genesis Team Zero Disc - SOLD Oct 2020

UltraMaraFun

by UltraMaraFun

UltraMaraFun wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 1:46 pm
Chrispee wrote:
UltraMaraFun wrote:

Bike was built yesterday and collecting it tonight. I will let you know how the tyres measure, they are on Roval Terra CL wheels (25mm Internal width) so I am assuminmg they may measure slightly wider than 44mm. Will aim to get out on the bike a couple of times this week and report back how the tyres ride in comparison to the Pirelli and Gravelkings.
Just measured the 44mm Tufos, at the casing they measure 45mm, so fairly true to size even on a 25mm internal width wheel, but at the tread, which protrudes out a little wider than the casing they measure 47mm. For comparison my 40mm Pirellis measure 43mm at the casing (tread doesn't protrude wider than casing)
on a 23mm internal width rim. Have only ridden up and down the road to bed in the disc brakes, will report back once I have been out on a proper ride.
Shout out to @ryanw (Rhinos Workshop) for the build, the bike looks great, and is a LOT lighter than my outgoing Revolt it has replaced.
Bikes:
2024 Giant Revolt Adv Pro - AXS Eagle XX1 / Force D2 / GRX820
2020 SystemSIX Hi-Mod - Dura-Ace Di2 12 Speed
2021 Giant TCR ADV Pro Disc - Ultegra Di2 12 Speed
2020 Giant Revolt ADV 2 - SOLD May 2024
2019 Genesis Team Zero Disc - SOLD Oct 2020

eins4eins

by eins4eins

I have some schwalbe thunder burts in 2.1" laying around and wonder if i should put them on for the gravel race on the weekend. According to BRR, the Thunder burts have more than 5W less rolling resistance vs the G-One RS in 45mm, that are on the bike now.
After watching DJ latest video, the aero penalty is also not that big. The thunder burts should be the faster option all around.
But i struggle to accept those facts. What should i do?!

stoney

by stoney

eins4eins wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 6:58 am
I have some schwalbe thunder burts in 2.1" laying around and wonder if i should put them on for the gravel race on the weekend. According to BRR, the Thunder burts have more than 5W less rolling resistance vs the G-One RS in 45mm, that are on the bike now.
After watching DJ latest video, the aero penalty is also not that big. The thunder burts should be the faster option all around.
If it is smooth gravel stick with the G-One RS 45mm. If the course has lots of chunky gravel and you can fit a Thunderburt, run that.

boots2000

by boots2000

I rode a set of 2.1 Thunder Burts in a gravel event a couple weeks ago. In terms of speed, traction and flat avoidance they werre great. But think about the demands of the course. I feel like the 2.1 tire feels pretty cumbersome on a gravel bike and doesn't handle as well in switchbacks.
eins4eins wrote:

Woland

by Woland

eins4eins wrote:
Don't change anything just before the race. Just my two cents.

eins4eins

by eins4eins

Changing something last minute won't be a problem. I didn't ride the gravel bike at all this year, so everything will feel new anyway.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

eins4eins wrote:

Aside from the RS having thicker rubber in the center and the TB having bigger knobs, these are basically the same tire on paper. I think the specific tire you have would impact the exact rolling resitance. For example they tested teh 2.25 TB. The 2.1 rearranges the bits in the tire. Additionally BRR tests on a super narrow rim (17mm int). This is likely favoring the bigger tire, keeping some of the knobs off the roller.

Very important here though... if you're on road, the TB has a very square edged cornering knob. This is going to be very sketchy on spirited cornering on a asphalt if you're running 'road' pressures (over 25psi) where you get the RR advantage. I just put the Terra Hardpacks on my bike, which has a very squared edge - the bike was reluctant to lean and the tire was moving around on the knobs until the tire got broken in. I don't think the TB will break in here so easily.
If you're going off road pressures (sub 25psi), the TB if going to give you loads more grip and cornering on loose surfaces as well as speed and suspension off road.

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

I think Dylan has cut down the ThunderBurt side knobs?

stalkersk

by stalkersk

I have managed to wear down my rear Thundeburt. I use them on my 650b set 2.25 front 2.1 rear. Definitely fastest tyre i used, previously had set of Vittoria Brazos and Barzo Mezcal combo, Rene Herse Juniper Ridge and Panaracer Gravelking SK/Comet. It' s unbelievable how much faster it goes. Cornerning on the road using road pressures is totally fine, you won't have problems with knobs. Had them on Jeroboam with folks running Tufos and i really noticed the bike rolled much further without pedalling. Also did some road rides with average over 35km/h without issue, I was lazy to change wheels.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

CarlosFerreiro wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 5:41 pm
I think Dylan has cut down the ThunderBurt side knobs?
They probably didn't have critical road turns at the beginning of the race or he just didn't care.
You'd need to test the specific tire on your rims. It's just a word of caution. I wouldn't want to be doing a group downhill on a fresh set of gravel or MTB tires and find the end is preventing predictable bike lean or the edge is giving 1-2mm of squirm. The rubber grips, but it's going to give some steering input, with the front and rear acting randomly, until the knob edge wears. As with any new tire, you need to leave some cornering speed on the table and some space around you till you understand the tire.

Outside of bikes, this is important in car tires too. If you watch F1, you'll recall there was a Bridgestone / Michelin tire war. In some cases, one tire was better than the other. Teams couldn't just switch tires because one tire had a more squared shoulder, while the other had a more rounded shape. This impacted the design of the entire car as the aero and stability aspects were quite different.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

trackflack

by trackflack

Gravelking sks are great, would recommend