Gravel tire rolling resistance tested

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

urostasa

by urostasa

Kubackjeee wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 10:33 am
urostasa wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:49 am
I have been using Terra Speed 40mm tires on my Revolt for two years now, because I would like to try another tire, I would like to know what is the closest alternative to this tire. Mainly weight and speed, I don't drive in the wet. My rides are mainly 50% asphalt and 50% hardened macadam, sometimes more rarely some off-road :)
How on earth did you get then last 2 years? Mine are almost slick in the back after 1000km 😭😭😭
I changed at least 4 sets 😉, with the rear tire I drive 2000km, the front 4000km....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Giant DK

by Giant DK

RDY wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:46 pm
FreeZ wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:36 pm
RDY wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:07 pm
The 42 Cava Race isn't on there. Only the 33 - which I don't really see the point of. That's CX territory and there are much better tires for that purpose. I requested the 42.

Problem with all the tires in the database vis a vis new tests in 2023 is that they won't be comparable. Tube vs tubeless, and a flat reduction applied to all the tube-tested tires.
Hope they test 33s too because it is in important "allroad" category. That is in top of my shortlist for this type of tyre, fast with some thread.
I think it's highly unlikely to be anywhere near as fast as file / herringbone tread all road tires (Strada Bianca for example), whilst being much more puncture prone. It also won't compete with CX tires for such low width offroad capability.

There's a possibility it has lower RR than a Getaway or Thundero in larger sizes, with acceptable puncture resistance, whilst having better grip on loose surfaces than a SB.

Also for all road, aero would matter more, and I imagine the sea of micro treads will contribute way more drag than something more conventional.

If it has a case, I think it'll be in the big sizes for gravel in exclusively dry conditions, rather than all road.
For your information BRR have just tested Cava Race in 33mm - low CRR.
Techn writer at Velomore Denmark

My Simplon Pavo II

RDY

by RDY

Finally got round to fitting some Getaway Pro HTLR on the Nextie AGX45 today. Went on way easier than Strada Biancas have in the past, even with a fat PTN foam insert. No sidewall or sidewall-tread-interface leakage which can occur on Challenge HTLR tires, but bubbling from under the bead and won't hold air; I stress bubbling - not weeping huge amounts of sealant like my now retired Veloflex Corsas did.

What are others' experience? Just need to ride them? Need more sealant (about 85ml)? Or problems?

kavide

by kavide

I had no issues with the Challenge Htlr, just mounting the tire needs a bit of a learning curve ;)
Works fine on a 19mm Mavic Ust hooked and on a hookless rim too.

Is it seated properly in the bead? Try some sope water and enough pressure to pop it in.

I really like the tire, just on wet roads it can be "Challenging"

kavide

by kavide

I can only compare the Challenge Getaway to the Tufo Swampero. Challenge rolls faster, but the tufo has waay more grip, especially in wet conditions the confidence it gives is worth the 5w you lose ten times! Even on wet road it feels grippier, never had a problem, unlike with the getaway.
Both in 44/45mm width.

RDY

by RDY

Added another 20ml of sealant and rode it and it's fully sealed now. It's a 45mm on the AGX45. Did the 40mm rear on ARX49 today. I'd guess the air volume held by the 45mm on the wider rim is nearly double that of the 40mm. The 40mm is actually smaller than the Thundero 40 it replaced, but the 45mm is absolutely enormous, and quite a lot bigger than the Thundero 44mm.

Haven't ridden them in anger yet, but RR felt ridiculously low riding the 15km home from the bike shop. These have hardpack gravel, and downhill road (on broken lumpy asphalt) KOMs written all over them. The ride is so compliant it's ridiculous - if I can fit a 45mm on the rear it'll be like a magic carpet. But given how supple the sidewalls are and how they bulge out more than Thunderos or GK SKs, I'm slightly concerned about their ability to survive trails with a lot of loose rocks in braking zones and corners.

warthog101

by warthog101

If the thunderos can handle the rocky trails then the getaway pros should be fine.
Thunderos are hopeless for puncture protection ime. Lots of people here have had problems with em. Nobody is still using them.

billendk

by billendk

I dich tufo speedero too, way too many punctures.
Now on sworks patchfinder, very fast on dry gravel and tarmac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RDY

by RDY

warthog101 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:37 am
If the thunderos can handle the rocky trails then the getaway pros should be fine.
Thunderos are hopeless for puncture protection ime. Lots of people here have had problems with em. Nobody is still using them.
Thunderos are significantly better than any non-plus variety of GKs, and also seal easily. Never had an issue with the sidewalls, despite constantly being underbiked on very rocky fast descents. I expect the tread to be pretty resistant on the Getaways - more than either the GKs or Thunderos. The sidewalls have a bad reputation though and look suspect to me.

warthog101

by warthog101

RDY wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:13 pm
warthog101 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:37 am
Thunderos are significantly better than any non-plus variety of GKs, and also seal easily. Never had an issue with the sidewalls, despite constantly being underbiked on very rocky fast descents. I expect the tread to be pretty resistant on the Getaways - more than either the GKs or Thunderos. The sidewalls have a bad reputation though and look suspect to me.

Not in central Vic in Australia.
The tufo carcass simply isn't strong enough to deal with our rock and clay
That photo is my speedero that couldn't hold out a stick.
Thundero didn't resist rocks.
A woman I ride with double punctured her thundero's on one of our gravel races. Multiple others have had problems too. Nobody is still using them.
Gravelking SK is still used and has proved much tougher here.

emotive

by emotive

Thundero 44’s going great in melbourne gravel, I have 4 mates on the Thundero 40’s here too. we don’t see sharp rocks so maybe that’s why they’re popular here.

Yoln

by Yoln

Any recommendations for a sub 35mm (real width measured has to be exactly 35 at most on 23mm internal rims, 36mm is too tight clearance) similar to the Gateway 40mm?

I am in love with my gateway, rolling resistance, grip and puncture resistance are the sweet spot for Northeast gravel for me. Been rocking them for more than a year now and wouldn't change at all.

I am looking for similar tires for my wife to put on her Caledonia 5, I have tried some measure 37mm wide tires and there's minor rubbing. 36 doesn't rub but not enough clearance. I am looking for 35mm measured or ideally 33 or 34mm. With knobs, good puncture protection and decent rolling resistance.

- Tufo have a too low puncture protection for my taste
- Same for Schalbe g-one RS
- Challenge Gravel grinder 33mm are an option, but pretty slow compared to the gateway
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

jemima

by jemima

Yoln wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:46 pm
Any recommendations for a sub 35mm (real width measured has to be exactly 35 at most on 23mm internal rims, 36mm is too tight clearance) similar to the Gateway 40mm?

I am in love with my gateway, rolling resistance, grip and puncture resistance are the sweet spot for Northeast gravel for me. Been rocking them for more than a year now and wouldn't change at all.

I am looking for similar tires for my wife to put on her Caledonia 5, I have tried some measure 37mm wide tires and there's minor rubbing. 36 doesn't rub but not enough clearance. I am looking for 35mm measured or ideally 33 or 34mm. With knobs, good puncture protection and decent rolling resistance.

- Tufo have a too low puncture protection for my taste
- Same for Schalbe g-one RS
- Challenge Gravel grinder 33mm are an option, but pretty slow compared to the gateway

The old Raceking CX 35mm?
Curve Grovel ti.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Conti TerraSpeed 35mm

warthog101

by warthog101

I have killed a getaway too.
Gravelking sk are currently doing the job for me. They come in a 35.
I have only used 40s that are for some reason listed as 38s

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com