Gravel tire rolling resistance tested

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

markdjr

by markdjr

Giant DK wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:12 am
markdjr wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:12 am
The UD 650b 2.2" tire is super loud on the road, but amazing off road. The UD tires in the race casing provide a very comfortable ride.

UD in 650b 2,2" also only comes in the Mars version. Try the ROSé, which is 48mm/1,9". It is a little loud on road, but roles good and is also amazine off road - of course not with the same grip as the Mars.

Can also vote for the "cheaper" JFF version. The casing is also very subble on these.
I've got the 650b Rose, I like them as well, I swapped the front for the Mars and left the Rose on the rear, which makes for a pretty dialed gravel setup.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robeambro

by robeambro

Is there any info on what's the "best roll for buck" tyre? I would like to buy a training tyre that is still relatively as fast as possible, without breaking the bank. Lower-tier Pathfinder? Or?

Woland

by Woland

robeambro wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:47 am
Is there any info on what's the "best roll for buck" tyre? I would like to buy a training tyre that is still relatively as fast as possible, without breaking the bank. Lower-tier Pathfinder? Or?
Continental Terra Speed is reasonably priced, but will wear out quickly. I would look at the Tufo Swampero/Thundero/Speedro range for similar rolling resistance and 20% cheaper than the Conti.

robeambro

by robeambro

Woland wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:14 am
robeambro wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:47 am
Continental Terra Speed is reasonably priced, but will wear out quickly. I would look at the Tufo Swampero/Thundero/Speedro range for similar rolling resistance and 20% cheaper than the Conti.
Yes that's indeed what's on my bike at the moment, but especially considering that to get to any gravel I most often have to ride on tarmac, most of my "gravel rides" are actually 50:50 road and gravel, so I fear these will last very, very little.

I will look at the Tufo, thanks.

warthog101

by warthog101

Have used tufo speedero and thundero.
Yes cheap. Roll well. Reasonable grip.
Very fragile. Will not use again.
Pirelli cinturato gravel h roll well and are stronger on the flinty gravel here.
Gravelking sk are ok. Not super fast but don't hole so easily.

morrisond

by morrisond

warthog101 wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:50 pm
Pirelli cinturato gravel h roll well and are stronger on the flinty gravel here.
I'll second the Pirelli Gravel H - roll well, very supple, good grip, look great in Tan - coming off many Rene Herse Extra Lights with smooth treads. They are good enough I don't want to go back.

robeambro

by robeambro

morrisond wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:19 pm
warthog101 wrote:
I'll second the Pirelli Gravel H - roll well, very supple, good grip, look great in Tan - coming off many Rene Herse Extra Lights with smooth treads. They are good enough I don't want to go back.
warthog101 wrote:
Thanks both. Do you happen to have some actual width measurements for these? In theory my soon-to-arrive frame should clear the 40mm if they run close to this, but as they're going on a 21mm IW rim, I'm afraid they might become fat chonkers..

Aesch

by Aesch

robeambro wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:05 pm
morrisond wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:19 pm
warthog101 wrote:
warthog101 wrote:
Thanks both. Do you happen to have some actual width measurements for these? In theory my soon-to-arrive frame should clear the 40mm if they run close to this, but as they're going on a 21mm IW rim, I'm afraid they might become fat chonkers..
Vredestein Aventura might work @38mm. My 44mm ones blow up to 46 in 26iw rims.

we51

by we51

I have 40mm Pirelli Cinturato Gravel M's on 23mm IW wheels, and they are right around 42mm wide @ 30psi.

robeambro

by robeambro

Thanks both. I fear 42 WAM may be a bit much but I suppose I'll wait a few weeks for the frame to arrive and then I'll see.

voicycle

by voicycle

CampagYOLO wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:41 pm
voicycle wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:58 pm
CampagYOLO wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:00 pm
voicycle wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:32 pm
I'd love a longer lasting 'training' alternative to the Terra Speeds, but it seems like Tufo are more puncture-prone and, at least in the UK, Challenge Getaways are nearly double the price. It kind of makes it seem worth it to just keep going through three sets of Contis a year. I guess it's either that or spend more time on Pathfinders, but I really prefer the Contis unless I need the extra puncture protection, and especially if there are lots of paved roads linking up my gravel sections.
Michelin Power Gravel? I had good experiences with the 40mm version
Good shout, thanks. Any sense of how much longer-wearing they are than Terra Speeds? Looks like they're about the same price for me depending on which retailer has stock and what discounts are going, so I'd want to know I'm getting significantly more miles out of them. They look like they'll handle similarly though, which is important if I'm only going to spend a week or so on my race tyres prior to each event.
Never used the Terra Speeds before so can't compare I'm afraid. Mine did a lot of tarmac as I commuted on them but they held up very well. Grip on dry gravel was excellent.
Hi Rob, I thought this was a good recommendation for me for a training tyre. Sounds like it might suit you too?

robeambro

by robeambro

voicycle wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:06 am
CampagYOLO wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:41 pm
voicycle wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:58 pm
CampagYOLO wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:00 pm

Michelin Power Gravel? I had good experiences with the 40mm version
Good shout, thanks. Any sense of how much longer-wearing they are than Terra Speeds? Looks like they're about the same price for me depending on which retailer has stock and what discounts are going, so I'd want to know I'm getting significantly more miles out of them. They look like they'll handle similarly though, which is important if I'm only going to spend a week or so on my race tyres prior to each event.
Never used the Terra Speeds before so can't compare I'm afraid. Mine did a lot of tarmac as I commuted on them but they held up very well. Grip on dry gravel was excellent.
Hi Rob, I thought this was a good recommendation for me for a training tyre. Sounds like it might suit you too?
Thanks A - I'll add these to the list. As they don't come in 38s I'll need to first verify whether I have enough clearance when the frame arrives. Which in theory it should, but those pesky SRAM road derailleurs are unpredictable.

satanas

by satanas

Aesch wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:43 pm
Vredestein Aventura might work @38mm. My 44mm ones blow up to 46 in 26iw rims.
^ Can you say anything about when the Aventuras do or dont work please, including cornering on the road? I've only seen pics, no reviews if any sort. I'm also considering the Pirelli Gravel H; it's dry hardpack near me, with the occasional sand patch.

Woland

by Woland

Tufo Swampero 40mm measures true to size on 23mm IW hookless rims, give or take a millimetre.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mathias720

by mathias720

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/pirelli- ... -all-road/
pirelli is launching 2 new tires.
the all road seems to be a pathfinder competitor. will be nice to see the testing and weights of these