Gravel tire rolling resistance tested

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Nohands83

by Nohands83

It’s winter tyres time in the UK, considering trying out Tufo Swampero, Pirelli S or Hutchinson Tundra this year - any user experience with these?

ooo

by ooo

Data point:
Panaracer gravelking semislick plus 43 has exactly the same b2b size as Maxxis Rambler 40
'

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DouglasDDX

by DouglasDDX

Nohands83 wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:32 am
It’s winter tyres time in the UK, considering trying out Tufo Swampero, Pirelli S or Hutchinson Tundra this year - any user experience with these?
Unfortunately no experience with any of these, I really wish the Swampero existed in a bigger version than 40mm.. My Tufo thunderos 44 has been great, even in a really wet and muddy 160km ride this weekend, they did fine.

I want a bigger tire, especially for the winter so went with Pirelli M in 45mm for this year, going to mount them next week.
Pirelli S I havn't found in stock anywhere yet.. So for me it was Pirelli M vs Teravail Rutland.
Hutchinson Tundra also looks interesting, havn't seen that one before.

Nohands83

by Nohands83

Thanks for your reply, I rode Pirelli M a lot last year and they're a great all-rounder in actual mud they're not great - probably due to the almost solid centre tread.
I borrowed a set of Terreno wets off a mate at the weekend and rode those on a particularly muddy ride and WOW different ball game, you can actually ride through the mud.
Thought they would be draggy on the road, whilst they don't feel fast you can still zip along at 19mph on the tarmac.

DouglasDDX

by DouglasDDX

Hmm okay, but on fast terrain the M's feels faster than the terreno wets or similar?
I like a fast rolling tyre but at the same time here in south sweden during winter, its wet and muddy most of the time.

Vittoria Mezcal now in 44mm also looks interesting even though it supposed to be a "dry" tire

Nohands83

by Nohands83

Yeah they don't feel quite as fast the Pirelli, but I felt significantly more confident riding them in proper mud so I guess it depends how much mud you regularly ride in - there's not much gravel round here!
I thought the Mezcal looked interesting as well, similar to the new Pirelli RC - look forward to the BBR results of those.

bobrayner

by bobrayner

I switched to the Pirelli Cinturato Gravel M TLR for winter, and I really like it, with two caveats:
1. It's definitely biased towards grip, not low rolling-resistance. That's fine, my winter rides are mud and chaos and fun, not sleek racing events.
2. Seems a little bit leaky compared to other tubeless tyres I've used. Not too bad, I've never experienced the weeping sealant problems that some unlucky folk have on other tubeless setups, but my Pirellis have definitely needed a little extra inflation before a weekend ride.
Sent from my computer using an internet browser.

Woland

by Woland

Nohands83 wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:32 am
+500km on Swampero 700x40, previously on Terra Speed 700x40. The Swampero is more grippy and supple that the Terrra Speed, but does feel a little slower on asphalt and hardpack gravel. I switched mainly for more cornering grip = fun and the Swampero has delivered.

I've heard that the Tufo's (Speedero/Thundero/Swampero) are more prone to punctures than the Contis, but that hasn't been my experience so far.

scoobydrew

by scoobydrew

Are the Gravelking slicks still the best value in terms of rolling resistance, weight, and ride quality? I'm looking for a wide road oriented tire in the 700x35mm space specifically with tan walls and have been considering the GK slicks, Rene Herse Bon Jon Pass, Challenge Strada Bianca Pro HLTR (36mm), Schwalbe Pro One (34mm).

emotive

by emotive

scoobydrew wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:25 pm
Are the Gravelking slicks still the best value in terms of rolling resistance, weight, and ride quality? I'm looking for a wide road oriented tire in the 700x35mm space specifically with tan walls and have been considering the GK slicks, Rene Herse Bon Jon Pass, Challenge Strada Bianca Pro HLTR (36mm), Schwalbe Pro One (34mm).
I would say so. The price is cheaper than most, but they also have less tread thickness, so the total miles per tire is not as good. In the long run they're not much different from RH in cost per ride, so I switched back to the RH Bon Jon Pass EL on the front and Barlow Pass EL on the rear.

mathias720

by mathias720

emotive wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:39 am
scoobydrew wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:25 pm
I would say so. The price is cheaper than most, but they also have less tread thickness, so the total miles per tire is not as good. In the long run they're not much different from RH in cost per ride, so I switched back to the RH Bon Jon Pass EL on the front and Barlow Pass EL on the rear.
how do the EL versions of those comepare to the panaracer puncture wise? and ride quality

stalkersk

by stalkersk

Rene Herse EL ride quality is on another league, had Gravelking SS and you could feel how sluggish they were freewheeling downhill. Sidewall is thin, so you need to be careful on sharp rocks and adjust pressure to the terrain.

QUATITE

by QUATITE

I am on my first 650B x 48 Switchback Hill TC Tire, extralight. They are by far the most comfortable tire I've ever run, but they seem so delicate I am sure I will shred them before long.

What is the most supple/light tire that is also durable? Does anybody have any experience with the "endurance" versions of the rene herse tires?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

QUATITE wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:45 pm
I am on my first 650B x 48 Switchback Hill TC Tire, extralight. They are by far the most comfortable tire I've ever run, but they seem so delicate I am sure I will shred them before long.

What is the most supple/light tire that is also durable? Does anybody have any experience with the "endurance" versions of the rene herse tires?
I'm running the switchbacks in endurance casing. I love them! Would never get the extra light, too delicate but these seem the perfect balance
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount