Gravel tire rolling resistance tested

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

tanhalt

by tanhalt

Marin wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:40 pm
@tanhalt any news? We need the data :D
Here you go...finally up: https://bikeblather.blogspot.com/2020/0 ... -fun.html

MattMay

by MattMay

The link doesn’t work but you can easily get to the article just by clicking Home...thx for posting!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

The link works for me.

tanhalt

by tanhalt

AJS914 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:40 pm
The link works for me.
There's been a quick update (at the same link)...added the Conti Terra Speed. Interestingly, the relative difference (%-wise) vs. the Challenge Gravel Grinder TLR shown earlier in this thread was spot on identical to what I measured 8)

MattMay

by MattMay

AJS914 wrote:The link works for me.
What I get at least from Tapatalk in my iPhone:

jfranci3

by jfranci3

That pretty much confirms the Contis rep. Thanks Tom.

tanhalt

by tanhalt

What happens when you touch that "View Web Version" button?

bikesrdangerousmmk

by bikesrdangerousmmk

jfranci3 wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:58 am
Wonder how those would hold up to cuts? Looks like a giant gp5000 tire with knobs.

I have some irc boken 40s on now, which look and feel (to my novice hands), similar to the gravel grinders.

tanhalt

by tanhalt

bikesrdangerousmmk wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:53 pm
jfranci3 wrote:
Wonder how those would hold up to cuts? Looks like a giant gp5000 tire with knobs.

I have some irc boken 40s on now, which look and feel (to my novice hands), similar to the gravel grinders.
My guess is they should be OK...I'll find out soon enough :wink: One thing they have going for them in that regard is the "base" casing material is only 60tpi, so fairly thick fibers (Conti still does that silly thing of summing the tpi of overlapping layers as the the casing thread count :roll: )

I'd like to get my hands on some of the Bokens. I've seen one up close...it appears to have a fairly think casing, but the knobs (IIRC) are quite a bit smaller than the Terra Speed knobs. I've got a friend who runs them...perhaps I can talk him into letting me roller test one of his new spares.

TheRich

by TheRich

Don't forget the G-Ones.

Really tempted now to pick up a set of Contis for Crusher in the Tushar and the Cedar City BWR to replace the Allrounds I used last year.

tanhalt

by tanhalt

TheRich wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:29 pm
Don't forget the G-Ones.

Really tempted now to pick up a set of Contis for Crusher in the Tushar and the Cedar City BWR to replace the Allrounds I used last year.
When I was first working out the protocol, I tested the G-One All-Around 700x38C tire...unfortunately, I had passed those along to a friend before realizing a problem with that initial protocol and so I wasn't able to retest them later after I had corrected the problem.

That said, based on inference to similar tires tested at the same time, I would expect that one to slot in right above the Bon Jon Pass, and tied with the Gravel Grinder Race 42C tire...

TheRich

by TheRich

tanhalt wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:41 pm
TheRich wrote:
Don't forget the G-Ones.

When I was first working out the protocol, I tested the G-One All-Around 700x38C tire...unfortunately, I had passed those along to a friend before realizing a problem with that initial protocol and so I wasn't able to retest them later after I had corrected the problem.

That said, based on inference to similar tires tested at the same time, I would expect that one to slot in right above the Bon Jon Pass, and tied with the Gravel Grinder Race 42C tire...
Thanks for the info

zmjones

by zmjones

tanhalt wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:41 pm
TheRich wrote:
Don't forget the G-Ones.

there are a few varieties/sizes worth testing. i've run the 30, 35mm and 650b 50mm speeds, and the 38mm ars and feel like there are some differences and am very curious how they slot in. you should set up some sort of way for us to collectively fund your testing. i'd donate a few bucks to get you to test more.

Marin

by Marin

My 50mm G-One speeds are quite a bit faster than my 60mm G-One Allrounds in my rolldown tests. No numbers from these tests unfortunately, but my guess would be 26 vs. 35W :)

Edit: Re-mounted the 50mm Speed and they're about the same as the 60mm Allrounds. My new guess is both @ 35W.

Put the fat Allrounds back on over the weekend :D
Last edited by Marin on Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rides4beer

by rides4beer

bikesrdangerousmmk wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:53 pm
jfranci3 wrote:

No cuts or punctures on my 40mm Terra Speeds yet, have about 5-600 miles on them. Seeing some noticeable wear on the rear, but not surprising for a fast/grippy tire. I'm extremely happy with them, very fast and have handled everything I've thrown at them so far really well.