Gravel tire rolling resistance tested

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

RDY

by RDY

Anyone have any comment on how Thundero vs Getaway HTLR perform on loose gravel? Particularly the kind of loose stuff you get on mountain trail descents where winter rivulets and streams wash small rocks and gravel across corners making the surface very loose even if it's hardpacked underneath. I'll fit some Getaways soon.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

urostasa

by urostasa

I have been using Terra Speed 40mm tires on my Revolt for two years now, because I would like to try another tire, I would like to know what is the closest alternative to this tire. Mainly weight and speed, I don't drive in the wet. My rides are mainly 50% asphalt and 50% hardened macadam, sometimes more rarely some off-road :)

DrimeOser

by DrimeOser

You could try the Challenge Strada Bianca or the Rene Herse Barlow Pass. I run the latter as the rear tire and that thing is fast.

warthog101

by warthog101

RDY wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:46 pm
Anyone have any comment on how Thundero vs Getaway HTLR perform on loose gravel? Particularly the kind of loose stuff you get on mountain trail descents where winter rivulets and streams wash small rocks and gravel across corners making the surface very loose even if it's hardpacked underneath. I'll fit some Getaways soon.
I haven't run a thundero on the back not a getaway on the front.
Getaway seems good on the rear on loose gravel.
Fast rolling.
I'd guess the thundero will grip a bit better being a slightly more aggressive tread.
I usually go for a gripper tyre on the front and faster rolling on the back for the stuff I do. Generally dry.

hansotto089

by hansotto089

warthog101 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:43 am
I usually go for a gripper tyre on the front and faster rolling on the back for the stuff I do.
Can you explain why that is optimal? Wouldn't you want the bettter grip on the rear to transmit the torque?

voicycle

by voicycle

hansotto089 wrote:
warthog101 wrote:
I usually go for a gripper tyre on the front and faster rolling on the back for the stuff I do.
Can you explain why that is optimal? Wouldn't you want the bettter grip on the rear to transmit the torque?
Grip on the front is for cornering traction, braking, and general control. Rolling resistance from the rear tyre has more impact on overall drag than the front though (because it’s where the power goes and it also usually carries a bigger percentage of weight). It’s very rare to find a surface where your back tyre will slip under pedaling load before your front tyre washes out in a corner, so it often makes sense to sacrifice a bit of grip for a bit of speed on the rear. Also if the rear slides out in a corner you’ve got a chance of recovering it. Front sliding out almost always involves contact with the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

warthog101

by warthog101

Yes. I can counter steer the front to save the rear if it slides.
Much harder to save the front.
Rolling resistance on the rear as it carries more weight also. Less aggressive tread to roll better.
Voicycle has answered very well and better than I would have. Not much to add tbh.

Jasonlelam

by Jasonlelam

Marin wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:11 pm
The Schwalbe drum rig:

From here: https://roadbikeaction.com/being-there- ... sting-lab/
Interesting.....

Kubackjeee

by Kubackjeee

urostasa wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:49 am
I have been using Terra Speed 40mm tires on my Revolt for two years now, because I would like to try another tire, I would like to know what is the closest alternative to this tire. Mainly weight and speed, I don't drive in the wet. My rides are mainly 50% asphalt and 50% hardened macadam, sometimes more rarely some off-road :)
How on earth did you get then last 2 years? Mine are almost slick in the back after 1000km 😭😭😭
Scott addict rc
Specialized Diverge e5 comp 2019

Kubackjeee

by Kubackjeee

voicycle wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:20 pm
hansotto089 wrote:
warthog101 wrote:
Grip on the front is for cornering traction, braking, and general control. Rolling resistance from the rear tyre has more impact on overall drag than the front though (because it’s where the power goes and it also usually carries a bigger percentage of weight). It’s very rare to find a surface where your back tyre will slip under pedaling load before your front tyre washes out in a corner, so it often makes sense to sacrifice a bit of grip for a bit of speed on the rear. Also if the rear slides out in a corner you’ve got a chance of recovering it. Front sliding out almost always involves contact with the ground.

I have Conti terra speed 40c. And after 1000km the rear is almost slick. I now consider putting terra trail in the back and leave speed in front as that one is in good shape. This is other way the you and a lot of people reccomend. Do u think it will work?
Scott addict rc

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

Kubackjeee wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 10:35 am
voicycle wrote:
hansotto089 wrote:
warthog101 wrote:

I have Conti terra speed 40c. And after 1000km the rear is almost slick. I now consider putting terra trail in the back and leave speed in front as that one is in good shape. This is other way the you and a lot of people reccomend. Do u think it will work?
Why not move that front Terra Speed to the back and put the Terra Trail on the front? You'll be setting up one new tyre anyway, it's not much more effort to set up two.

Kubackjeee

by Kubackjeee

CampagYOLO wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 1:25 pm
Kubackjeee wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 10:35 am
voicycle wrote:
hansotto089 wrote:

Why not move that front Terra Speed to the back and put the Terra Trail on the front? You'll be setting up one new tyre anyway, it's not much more effort to set up two.
Yes but after next 1000km I will have a other slick in the back and new tyre in the front 😁
Scott addict rc

Miller

by Miller

@Kubackjeee See explanation above from @voicycle about why to put the grippier tyre on the front (which is common practice in the MTB world).

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

Okay I was about to pull the trigger on some Speedero's but noticed people had issues with punctures. I've been running Ramblers (keep going back to them) for a decade and people seemed to have issues with them puncturing but I haven't. Wondering if they have similar durability. Anybody who has experience with both care to respond?

Jdadour

by Jdadour

Has anyone ridden the Mezcal 700x44? Im intrigued.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com