Gravel tire rolling resistance tested

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Dying that G-One RS tire only comes in 40 and 45

Anything in the 35mm size worth looking at these days? I'm using a G-One Allround. I love them but I think for the type of the riding I do the new G-One RS would suit my better with the flatter middle. My tire is close to perfect now with the middle getting worn out but also risking a flat

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

uquality

by uquality

skom25 wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:38 pm
I have Tufo Gravel Speedero 40c. Real width on 22.5 mm rim is little above 42 mm.
I have 25mm internal rims. Do you think the Tufo's in 40C will baloon to 44mm?
I'm wondering if I should get the 36C version instead as anything over 40mm is pretty tight on my bike.

rawjunk

by rawjunk

uquality wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:48 pm
skom25 wrote:
I have Tufo Gravel Speedero 40c. Real width on 22.5 mm rim is little above 42 mm.
I'm wondering if I should get the 36C version instead as anything over 40mm is pretty tight on my bike.
I have 25mm id wheels and 40c Speedero's are 42mm measured.

RDY

by RDY

Anyone have an explanation for why the Speedero and Thundero are testing so fast? The tread pattern looks pretty high RR. Something about the compound / casing being significantly different?

I'm running Enve (Tufo) road tires at the moment. They're definitely not THE fastest (significantly higher RR than GP5000 / Corsas), but they're quick whilst being really tough for a race tire.

cycleboyco

by cycleboyco

g32ecs wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:25 pm

Anything in the 35mm size worth looking at these days? I'm using a G-One Allround. I love them but I think for the type of the riding I do the new G-One RS would suit my better with the flatter middle. My tire is close to perfect now with the middle getting worn out but also risking a flat
They come in 35 and look to be in stock from Schwalbe North America.

https://www.schwalbetires.com/Schwalbe- ... S-11654390

I'm trying to decide between the 35 and 40 myself-I have done a few rides on the 40mm G-One R and really like them, so looking to try the RS on a different set of wheels-may go with the 35 to differentiate them more from the G-One R.

uquality

by uquality

rawjunk wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:08 pm
uquality wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:48 pm
skom25 wrote:
I have 25mm id wheels and 40c Speedero's are 42mm measured.
I imagine the Thundero's are identical. I'm using Panaracer GK SS 38's (measure 39mm) on my bike right now. The 36C Thundero's might be the option.

skom25

by skom25

RDY wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:24 pm
Anyone have an explanation for why the Speedero and Thundero are testing so fast? The tread pattern looks pretty high RR. Something about the compound / casing being significantly different?

I'm running Enve (Tufo) road tires at the moment. They're definitely not THE fastest (significantly higher RR than GP5000 / Corsas), but they're quick whilst being really tough for a race tire.
Tread looks high on photos, I do not know why. In reality, it is tiny with minimal gaps. Knobs in the center are larger, so probably that is the next reason why they are so fast. I will take photo with any well known object for scale.

Not mounted tire feels little stiff. It is not like those tires with "paper" thin walls.

I had Terra Speed 40c ( 39,x on my 22.5 mm rim) for a while, and in my opinion, Tufo are faster and more comfortable on the same pressure. Terra Speed are very good on sand, above expectations.

I run them on 2.0 Bar and it is great. Ride like on "pillow", without loss of speed. I tried few times with higher pressure, like 2.6 or 2.8 and except of lower comfort, there is no significant difference in speed. My weight is little below 60kg ready to ride.

warthog101

by warthog101

I had a speedero on the rear. Found it pretty poor with respect to puncture protection.

That stick punched through. Plug to get home.
Patched and new sealant.
Flatted again next ride needing a tube to get home.
Straight in the bin.
Have a thundero on the front that has been fine. Maybe just unlucky but others I ride with have found them puncture prone also

g32ecs

by g32ecs

cycleboyco wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:33 pm
g32ecs wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:25 pm

They come in 35 and look to be in stock from Schwalbe North America.

https://www.schwalbetires.com/Schwalbe- ... S-11654390

I'm trying to decide between the 35 and 40 myself-I have done a few rides on the 40mm G-One R and really like them, so looking to try the RS on a different set of wheels-may go with the 35 to differentiate them more from the G-One R.
Thanks. Gotta find a retailer that has it on discount

Daneincph

by Daneincph

The G-One RS test is up now. Very good result..!

stoney

by stoney

Oh yes...I want a G-One RS in size 45mm to put on my hardtail I've converted to rigid for gravel duty.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Mind you the tire is TINY!
These are basically 32c, 37c and 42c.
Order accordingly.
Mine are the 40s, and they are right around 38mm wide on a 25mm internal hookless.

A friend of mine has used the 35s for a couple of months now. Dunno the real size, but he is running it in a Roubaix, so it can't be huge on a set of Alpinist 2 (21mmm hooked).
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Is there a good source for current CX Tire Crr? I know BRR has tested a few, but many popular once (like SWorks Tracer) are nowhere to be found. I submitted that one to BRR, but the lieklihood of it being selected is close to zero.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:51 pm
Is there a good source for current CX Tire Crr? I know BRR has tested a few, but many popular once (like SWorks Tracer) are nowhere to be found. I submitted that one to BRR, but the lieklihood of it being selected is close to zero.
IMO having the right tread pattern hence good grip for the conditions and tyre pressure is probably more important than rolling resistance when it comes to CX racing.

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

RDY wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:24 pm

My theory is that it has all to do with the casing construction / attributes in combination with the rubber compound makup.

BRR has guessed and shown many times in their rig that different rubber compounds test differently in terms of rolling resistance. My guess is the rubber compound Tufo uses is somewhat fast.

As for the casing, the Tufo casing seems to be very supple and soft but possibly at the expense of puncture protection. A soft and supple casing helps a lot on rolling resistance as well as comfort.

Just anectdotally, I have a set of the Enve Road Tires in 29mm (made by Tufo)) and they are indeed very comfy, but I've never had as many puncture issues on any other tire, even the first-gen Pro One Tubeless which was notorious. The tire itself is very soft and supple in the hand, and the rubber compound noticeably more "gummy" than the updated Pro One Tubeless, GP5K TL, GP5K TR, even the Challenge Strade Bianche Pro. But I'm taking the Enves off now that I finally got my set of GP5K TRs from an order place months ago.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com