Gravel tire rolling resistance tested

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

bobones

by bobones

It won't be loose once it's seated. Put a tube in to verify this. I've given you three methods to get it inflated, but what's the point of asking for advice if you just carry on regardless.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RDY

by RDY

bobones wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:26 pm
It won't be loose once it's seated. Put a tube in to verify this. I've given you three methods to get it inflated, but what's the point of asking for advice if you just carry on regardless.
The tire is way too loose. Period. I didn't ask for advice on how to use it from you or anyone else - why would I when it's unsafe. I asked if anyone else had recent problems, as I was aware of issues some while ago but hadn't seen any recent complaints.

bobones

by bobones

RDY wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:54 am
The tire is way too loose. Period.
Too loose to inflate, yes, but not too loose to ride safely on a hooked rim once inflated.

When you've mounted lots of different tubeless tyre and rim combinations, you realise that loose tyres are just one of the niggles of tubeless that you need to deal with. It's not necessarily the tyre's fault alone, as it may be fine on another rim or with more tape.

Old tyres that you've removed to fit on another wheel can also be super loose. I've just swapped around some Corsa Pros and Power Cups that were both as baggy as a wizard's sleeve, but rather than curse Vittoria and Michelin, I used the techniques mentioned to get them inflated, and now they're up, they're perfectly fine and stay locked to the rim bead when flat, i.e. totally safe.

In a perfect world, a tubeless tyre will inflate with just a track pump. I find GP5000s are good for this on a lot of rims. In many other cases, you need to lube the rim and bead and use a booster or compessor. In the worst cases, that doesn't work either, and you then need to add more tape or try one of the other tricks to get the tyre to inflate. I've had plenty of loose tyres to deal with, but I've always managed to get them up one way or another.

RDY

by RDY

Anyone tried the Thundero 48? BRR are reporting both tread and sidewall puncture resistance as being significantly stronger than the 40 or 44, or the 40HD. If that's borne out by others' experience, maybe not worth waiting for stock of the 48 HD.

This is less surprising once you look at the weights ... it's miles over spec. 55g over.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

RDY wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:54 am
bobones wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:26 pm
The tire is way too loose. Period. I didn't ask for advice on how to use it from you or anyone else - why would I when it's unsafe. I asked if anyone else had recent problems, as I was aware of issues some while ago but hadn't seen any recent complaints.
I've used the 40mm ones for a while and they're some of the looser tires I've fitted. However it's nothing another later of rim tape didn't solve. They then went up with just a track pump and haven't given any issues since.

BuffHamster

by BuffHamster

RDY wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:36 pm
Anyone tried the Thundero 48? BRR are reporting both tread and sidewall puncture resistance as being significantly stronger than the 40 or 44, or the 40HD. If that's borne out by others' experience, maybe not worth waiting for stock of the 48 HD.

This is less surprising once you look at the weights ... it's miles over spec. 55g over.
I use the 48mm HD version and to me it's faster than the WTB Vulpine 40mm which I found fast to begin with.

Haven't punctured yet so can't tell you how the HD variant is like.

It also doesn't have that firm feeling sidewall like the 40/44mm version which is a benefit for me.

UltraMaraFun

by UltraMaraFun

I just ordered a set of Tufo Swampero HD 44mm in Black/Tan for my new gravel build, I am hoping to use them as a fit and forget for all surfaces / seasons (I live in the UK) and seems to me the HD should address some of the reported issues with puncture resistance.
I had wanted the Thundero HD, as they are probably a little faster in dry conditions, but not in stock anywhere apart from Tufo and didn't want to splash €200 (4 x tyres) to qualify for free shipping to UK, and the Swampero should be the better bet when things get wet/muddy here.
Once I have the new rig built up and I have been out on a few shake down rides I will report back, and they will get a good test at the 215km gravel event I have at the end of June, as will I, as I am currently not fit.
Bikes:
2024 Giant Revolt Adv Pro - AXS Eagle XX1 / GRX820
2020 SystemSIX Hi-Mod - Dura-Ace Di2 12 Speed
2021 Giant TCR ADV Pro Disc - Ultegra Di2 12 Speed
2020 Giant Revolt ADV 2 **For Sale**
2019 Genesis Team Zero Disc - SOLD Oct 2020