What style of handlebars for gravel

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

jfranci3

by jfranci3

robertshepherd wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:42 am
Can someone who owns the 3T SuperGhiaia please measure the width of the round 31.8 section in the middle of the bar that the stem clamps to? Seems like the only measurement they don't have on the 3T site. I'm deciding if there is enough width to mount my hard mount for a front bag as it won't clamp well on a non-round section of the bar.
FWIW - my 44 aeroghiana has 11mm on either side of 41mm wide face place with 64mm wide total. Shallow ramps to the flat bit.

Note the internal cables on the aero bar aren't really wide enough for hydro (5mm) and shifter (4mm) lines. You can get them in there, but they're be scraped up.
note2: the curve at the top for the shifter mount is REALLY tight. Getting the shifters in the right spot is a challenge. With Rival AXS, there will be a gap between the shifter body and bar.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robertshepherd

by robertshepherd

jfranci3 wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:44 pm
FWIW - my 44 aeroghiana has 11mm on either side of 41mm wide face place with 64mm wide total. Shallow ramps to the flat bit.

Note the internal cables on the aero bar aren't really wide enough for hydro (5mm) and shifter (4mm) lines. You can get them in there, but they're be scraped up.
note2: the curve at the top for the shifter mount is REALLY tight. Getting the shifters in the right spot is a challenge. With Rival AXS, there will be a gap between the shifter body and bar.
Thank you! Not the answer I was looking for (> 70 was the answer that I wanted to fit my Route Werks bag), but very helpful nonetheless. Chapeau!

BobbyAamand

by BobbyAamand

For some reason I have gotten pretty well along with the Ritchey Venturemax in the same width as my road bars. Even though the flare is 24dg I was comfortable on the hoods. Then I tried the Butano with 12dg flare but never managed to get the levers in a comfortable position.

I went back to my trusty Pro Lt with the levers just so slightly inward and have never felt better.

So the conclusion from me must be to either get a lot of flare or no flare.

nismosr

by nismosr

i'm building a COlnago G3RX with Deda Gera Alloy.
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

nickf

by nickf

I was on road bars for years. Then I tried the Easton EC 70AX bars, was not a fan. Went back to road bars. A couple of months ago I decided to try the Easton AX bars again, and I'm sold. The extra width in the drops was what I was looking for on the technical gravel descents and faster loose over hard sectors. I'm running 40c and the hood position is spot on, and the drops are wide but not freakishly wide.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

It took me a while to get used to the Eastons, but now, I absolutely love them. I just ordered another set, since they revised the design to make them fully Di2 compatible (previously, it was only compatible on the right shifter).

StevieB

by StevieB

nickf wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:37 am
I was on road bars for years. Then I tried the Easton EC 70AX bars, was not a fan. Went back to road bars. A couple of months ago I decided to try the Easton AX bars again, and I'm sold. The extra width in the drops was what I was looking for on the technical gravel descents and faster loose over hard sectors. I'm running 40c and the hood position is spot on, and the drops are wide but not freakishly wide.
They are a good bar for gravel; my Aspero came with them stock. Thought there was a bit more flare than I wanted when using them on the road, though, and ended up swapping to Easton's EC90 ALX. Very similar, but with 10 degrees of flare instead of 16 and a bit of ovalization on the tops; not really an aero thing, more for comfort. My 40cm bars (measured at the hoods) are 44.5cm at the bar ends. My EC70 Aero road bars, for comparison, have a 4 degree flare and go from 40 at the hoods to 42 at the bar ends. The ALX is in the Goldilocks zone... :wink:

nickf

by nickf

StevieB wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:24 pm
nickf wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:37 am
They are a good bar for gravel; my Aspero came with them stock. Thought there was a bit more flare than I wanted when using them on the road, though, and ended up swapping to Easton's EC90 ALX. Very similar, but with 10 degrees of flare instead of 16 and a bit of ovalization on the tops; not really an aero thing, more for comfort. My 40cm bars (measured at the hoods) are 44.5cm at the bar ends. My EC70 Aero road bars, for comparison, have a 4 degree flare and go from 40 at the hoods to 42 at the bar ends. The ALX is in the Goldilocks zone... :wink:
Didn't realize there was an ALX bar. That really does sound like the perfect compromis.

boyracer

by boyracer

Hey all greetings from Australia. It's been a while.
I have a Cannondale supersix evo hi mod, Ultegra di2. Stock except for tubeless 30mm Challenge strada bianchi's. Like the bike, mostly longer country road rides but do some gravel on it as well, but...
I found this thread as i was thinking to try fit a flared style bar as i prefer the feels to the (quite narrow for a 44) stock KNOT/Hollowgram rig. I also noted mention on here that the stock KNOT /Hollowgram setup is porcine.
I started out looking for a flared KNOT bar but the new Cannondale Supersix CX runs a standard bar/stem combo.
I have Zipp XPLR on one bike, some wide flared Pro alloy on another and a set of unknown carbon wide flared on another that i got 2nd hand. Reckon i want something between XPLR (5deg) and the Pro (25 deg) and as wide as possible as i'm 6 foot four and wide across shoulders.

Any one have experience/recommendations for the flared Aliexpress or other brands of hidden cable bar/stem combos?

killerrabbit

by killerrabbit

boyracer wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:03 pm
Hey all greetings from Australia. It's been a while.
I have a Cannondale supersix evo hi mod, Ultegra di2. Stock except for tubeless 30mm Challenge strada bianchi's. Like the bike, mostly longer country road rides but do some gravel on it as well, but...
I found this thread as i was thinking to try fit a flared style bar as i prefer the feels to the (quite narrow for a 44) stock KNOT/Hollowgram rig. I also noted mention on here that the stock KNOT /Hollowgram setup is porcine.
I started out looking for a flared KNOT bar but the new Cannondale Supersix CX runs a standard bar/stem combo.
I have Zipp XPLR on one bike, some wide flared Pro alloy on another and a set of unknown carbon wide flared on another that i got 2nd hand. Reckon i want something between XPLR (5deg) and the Pro (25 deg) and as wide as possible as i'm 6 foot four and wide across shoulders.

Any one have experience/recommendations for the flared Aliexpress or other brands of hidden cable bar/stem combos?
I'm considering a build with these bars. I'm looking at 36cm hoods, 43cm drop, 110mm stem.

https://aliexpi.com/aoge

London9921

by London9921

I've always swapped out my flared bares for straight road bars with ergo/aero tops, I run 40cm and never felt I missed something after removing wider flared bars from my bikes.

sevencyclist

by sevencyclist

I actually like aero shaped bars for gravel riding. It allows more top surface for resting hands and reduces pressure.

boyracer

by boyracer

killerrabbit wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:37 am

I'm considering a build with these bars. I'm looking at 36cm hoods, 43cm drop, 110mm stem.

https://aliexpi.com/aoge
yeah, that's the type. Wondering if anybody has actual experience with a brand?
I rode this bike today and i spend much time on hoods as i don't enjoy the drops on this one. Other bikes, all set up similar seat drop/stemlength/reach, etc i ride in drops most of the time and this shows in av. speed.

Jcamp

by Jcamp

I’ve been extremely happy with my 3T Aeroghiaia bars. Had them on my Topstone and now on my Aspero. No room for a bar mounted computer mount unless modified to be extremely narrow (which I tried for a while but not allowing the computer centered drove me nuts).
Perfect amount of compliance for me.