What style of handlebars for gravel

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Miller

by Miller

I have a new frame to build up and, ignoring wider concerns of family, work and world, handlebar selection is a concern.

Should I go wider than the bars on my road bike? Should a gravel bar have a shallow drop with flare? I am liking the look of the Easton EC70 AX but what really works for mixed terrain and is it really different from road?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cerro

by cerro

Have tried the flared handlebar that came with a Specialized Sequoia but wasn't for me. Shallow bend and just a couple of centimeter of flare i my favorite. Like the Specialized S-Works Shallow women handlebar, or 3T Ergonova

NickJHP

by NickJHP

I really like the shape of the Syntace Racelite handlebars. They have 2° of flare and 6° of sweep, and I find the drops very comfortable. I have them on both road and gravel bikes. They're available in either aluminium or carbon, and in widths up to 46cm, which is the width I use. In fact, bike-components.de have the 46cm wide ones in carbon on closeout at the moment for €75, which is less than 1/3 normal price: https://www.bike-components.de/en/Synta ... ut-p11896/

Miller

by Miller

Good pointer, thanks, I love deals on carbon bars. That drop looks quite deep?

jemima

by jemima

Comes down to what you like the feel of.

Another slight-flare fan here: Satori X-Race Aero. The carbon bar is a good price.
Curve Grovel ti.

Carcinogent

by Carcinogent

Imo if you are happy with what is on your road bike, do not deviate much from it. If you are not happy, well...feel free to experiment.=) Alloy is cheaper than carbon if you are unsure what you want.

Gravel ain't MTB so not much different than road bike.

My 2 cents.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Easiest way to determine that is also the costliest, trial and error.
I've tried both a few standard and two 12 degree flare (medium flare) and one high flare (not my cup of tea).
I am not done yet on what i prefer.
I think it's really individual if you like a wider, no flare or medium or wide.
On the high flare version shifters risk to be angled very much.
My next would probably be a 44cm version and on road (and up to now on gravel) i have used 42cm.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

vinuneuro

by vinuneuro

Easton and Zipp are a couple with a few degrees of flare. Many of the 'adventure' ones are too extreme with the flare imo.
2016 Diverge Expert

morganb

by morganb

I really like the EC70AX shape, and I hated the earlier flared drops that I rode, like the Cowbell and such. I run 38-40 c-c bars on my road bikes and have 40s on this, but they measure 46 at the drops I believe. Despite the wide drops I ride in them a lot because they are so shallow that the position isn't much more aggressive. Its great for off road stuff when I jump onto single track but the hoods feel like normal road position.

mattyNor

by mattyNor

I just changed from a 40 Thomson KFC bar to a 42 Easton EC70-ax and it's a word of difference, highly recommend some kind of flaired bar!!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

menkar

by menkar

I recently put 44cm Easton EC70 AX on my new gravel bike. In-the-drops riding on smooth roads feels wide and non-areo while on the hoods they feel like normal road bars.
My reason for keeping them is for fast sketchy off-road descents. The feeling of control is confidence inspiring, I'm significantly faster while feeling very secure.
The brake lever angle is not really noticeable and certainly not bothersome.

Miller

by Miller

Found some more options, does anyone have views on 3T Ergoterra, Ritchey WCS Evomax?
Or is simpler and just as effective to pick a favourite road bar and add a few cm of width?

Marin

by Marin

What are the narrowest flared bars? Ideally I'd want 36 or 38 but with gravel-style (12°+) flared drops...

Subira

by Subira

I've just put a set of the Easton AX bars on a Niner RLT 9 RDO build. Been out about on the roads the last couple weeks and really like them. Very comfortable on the drops and tops!!

I'm on the 42s.

I can verify that they are ok in the Chilterns :)

AJS914

by AJS914

Miller wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:57 pm
Found some more options, does anyone have views on 3T Ergoterra, Ritchey WCS Evomax?
Or is simpler and just as effective to pick a favourite road bar and add a few cm of width?
My gravel bike with with bars that are 2 cm wider than my road bike and I don't like it very much. I wouldn't go wider unless you like wider.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com