Chinese Open Mold Gravel / CX Bikes

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

hardbread

by hardbread

robbosmans wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:52 pm
With all due respect, maybe get her a bike fit?
That's definitely happening

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Anyone know the thru axle measurements for the carbonda 696 (front & rear)? I know it's 12 x 100/142, but there are all the other fun things - pitch, actual length, etc.

thx
Speedplay is the devil!

northshore

by northshore

mdeth1313 wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:12 pm
Anyone know the thru axle measurements for the carbonda 696 (front & rear)? I know it's 12 x 100/142, but there are all the other fun things - pitch, actual length, etc.

thx
I have these Prime thru axles for my 696:
120/15/M12*P1.5
171/15/M12*P1.5

liam7020

by liam7020

jayjay wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:43 am
garbageman wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:30 pm
Looks like the Tantan GR029
Looks like it. Thanks!
I have one, and it definitely is a Tantan GR029. I have it built up for cross, excellent frameset!
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

It just keeps getting better! Purchased a carbonda 696 frameset from someone in the US and there's no FD hanger. I've contacted carbonda, but that'll mean waiting for it to arrive from China - anyone have one they're not using. Motherf---er, I should have just bought a new one.
Speedplay is the devil!

Aesch

by Aesch

mdeth1313 wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:16 pm
It just keeps getting better! Purchased a carbonda 696 frameset from someone in the US and there's no FD hanger. I've contacted carbonda, but that'll mean waiting for it to arrive from China - anyone have one they're not using. Motherf---er, I should have just bought a new one.
There are many other brands selling rebranded/named 696 frames in the USA. Contact one of them to get one sooner I'd say. (I did the same in Europe, next day part replacement and ready to go).

sleepycapybara

by sleepycapybara

Looking at Velobuild Gf-002 and others (Carbonda, Hongfu etc). Only received prompt response from Velo while also being the cheapest because the frame also comes with integrated handlebar or stem+handlebar as per my choice. The other thing is their website, as 90's as it might feel, still makes it pretty clear what is included in the package and prices of those besides paint options are also straight out laden. Not sure why a few other websites don't do that and make you jump through hoops before you get to final price quote.
The question I have is, is it better to forgo handlebar/stem of Velo and opt for Carbonda CRF707 at higher price without bar/stem? Velo seems to have mixed reviews as far as QC goes while Carbonda is mostly positive in general. Not sure how their custom paint jobs go or cost but I wouldn't mind Carbonda if it is decidedly a better frame than Velobuild.

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

I've posted previously on the road bike section regarding velobuild. They're all helpful when you want to place an order but the help soon stops as soon as there is an issue.

My frame was the wrong colour, came with the wrong bars, the axles were the wrong size, and Chris repeatedly lied when trying to resolve the situation.

The standard bars are absolute garbage and super bendy, so don't see them as an advantage.
The headset hole is too large so the bearing rocks back and forth regardless of how tight.

I could go on but you get the idea. These things are cheap for a very good reason.

I also have a 696 which is a brilliant frame. These to at opposite ends of the bike spectrum.

ms6073

by ms6073

hardbread wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:28 pm
She named it Explosive diarrhea (because nothing is faster than it) and picked the paint colour herself
:lol: I sense there is a story behind that name but don't really need to know the details. As for the earlier comment about bike fit, if you have an indoor trainer, I would recommend myvelofit.com. The side allows you to upload a short video of the rider on the trainer then processes the video using some AI algorythms to evaluate some basics and makes recommendations on fit which you then apply the changes and repeat the process. No, it does not take the place of a session with a professional fitter, but for only US $25, I think it is definitely worth a try and has helped with resolving some back pain issues with the wife's road bike fit although long term, she really needs a custom frame due to reach constraints.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

sleepycapybara

by sleepycapybara

Steve Curtis wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:08 am
I've posted previously on the road bike section regarding velobuild. They're all helpful when you want to place an order but the help soon stops as soon as there is an issue.
My frame was the wrong colour, came with the wrong bars, the axles were the wrong size, and Chris repeatedly lied when trying to resolve the situation.
Good to know. Do you have link to your thread/post where you posted this? I did see another comment of yours where you said the same thing but I couldn't find it. The only frame picture I saw was nice glossy black so I am unsure what color you had ordered originally.

I am going with my own handlebars, and a separate stem - not a fan of integrated stem for many reasons besides you are right, I think I read it elsewhere too that Velobuild bars are't exactly top notch.

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

sleepycapybara wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:06 pm
Steve Curtis wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:08 am
Good to know. Do you have link to your thread/post where you posted this? I did see another comment of yours where you said the same thing but I couldn't find it. The only frame picture I saw was nice glossy black so I am unsure what color you had ordered originally.

I am going with my own handlebars, and a separate stem - not a fan of integrated stem for many reasons besides you are right, I think I read it elsewhere too that Velobuild bars are't exactly top notch.
I'd seriously suggest not buying from them if you have the option of a carbonda.

I ordered a raw frame with just clearcoat but they painted it black.
You can search my previous posts in my profile.

vgcl

by vgcl

In my photo above, I am running 37mm measured width tyres on a 28mm wide, 36mm deep wheel. This is about 4.5mm bulge over the wheel width. I dont think the 35 will look too big on the 29mm rim.

I have also mounted these tyres on a 32mm wide, 50mm deep wheel. This resulted in a 38mm wide tyre, and a smaller 3mm bulge over the sidewall. I prefer the look of a close match between the tyre and the wheel on deep wheels, so aesthetically I would recommend the 32mm tyre for your wheels.

Another consideration is handling in cross winds. If you often incur strong side winds, and are a light rider, I would recommend you go for the more narrow tyre, as this will match the wheel profile better and catch the side winds less. If you are a heavier rider, or dont ride in side winds, then you will be less affected, and it doesn't matter.
My wheels arrived, and looks like they measure 31mm in the widest part. I've ordered a pair of Pirelli Cinturato Velo 35, they should measure a little less than 34, I think they will look good and be a good match for my wheels. BRR pointed out that they have a smaller treat that shouldn't work well with rims much wider than 18mm (internal).

My country only have stronger winds only around July and August, and they can be perceived only in some roads, that I can easily avoid. I ride in roads that semi-trucks passes by, they generate a strong gust of wind, but I can hear them coming and prepare to it. But I also weight 80+ (I'm tall), so I think I'm way less susceptible to this. Unfortunately my higher weight contributes a lot to punctures, so I need to choose tires with more protection, reason why I chose the Pirelli Cinturato for now. In the future I'll try the Vittoria Corsa Next 34.

Thanks!

hardbread

by hardbread

ms6073 wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:48 pm
hardbread wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:28 pm
She named it Explosive diarrhea (because nothing is faster than it) and picked the paint colour herself
:lol: I sense there is a story behind that name but don't really need to know the details. As for the earlier comment about bike fit, if you have an indoor trainer, I would recommend myvelofit.com. The side allows you to upload a short video of the rider on the trainer then processes the video using some AI algorythms to evaluate some basics and makes recommendations on fit which you then apply the changes and repeat the process. No, it does not take the place of a session with a professional fitter, but for only US $25, I think it is definitely worth a try and has helped with resolving some back pain issues with the wife's road bike fit although long term, she really needs a custom frame due to reach constraints.
Thanks for the tip! Think I was too excited after building it up to post it before the final fit :oops: . It's her first drop bar bike (most riden flat bar bikes before) and I set it up they way she wanted first (she was too worried about her feet not being able to touch the ground). The app is definatly the route I'm going to take with her now that is way more confident on it. Thanks again for the tip on the app signing up after this post!

Just wanted to show the frame and paint quality (they only charged $60 USD for custom paint of 1 colour) from LongTeng - they did a great job and came out cheaper then some of the other manufactuerers listed. Just ordered another road bike frame from them.

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

I wasn't sure where to post this. I just got a Ridley Kanzo Adventure, and it's the same 696 frame. I have GRX 2x on it and it's really hard to remove and install the rear wheel.

Now I stupidly didn't take care when I was swapping wheels a few times. So I somehow managed to scratch the dropout area, and it looks like quite a big chunk of paint came of. I'm worried though that the frame might be damaged.

What happened to the attachments button by the way? I was gonna upload a pic but I can't now.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021
Ridley Kanzo Adventure 2022

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

I got my 696 up and running. I'm running it as a 2x with 11-speed red-etap and 46/30 rings w/ 11-34 cassette. It'll to double duty as a gravel bike and my winter commuter. Haven't weighed it yet but I took it out on my first ride and ended up riding over 69 miles. It handles like a road bike and with 45mm tires (schwalbe g-one all around) I was able to let it rip on flat and downhill sections of dirt/gravel. Wheels are farsports 35's with novatec hubs. Need to cut the fork, slide the saddle up a bit but this thing has far exceeded my expectations.

I did have to use an aftermarket battery for the FD to have a comfortable clearance with the rear tire. That and I'll have to make some modifications to the rear fender to fit w/ the FD battery, but it should be a small cut (for winter riding).
Speedplay is the devil!