Lightest wheelset combo for CX racing

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

LouisN

by LouisN

I'm building one or two tubular wheelsets for CX racing (rim brakes).
I wonder if a 1100-1150 g wheelset would be reliable.

What's your best bets for lightest parts and configuration ?

Are very light hub options a bad idea for CX ( like Extralite, Carbon-ti, and sub 230g hubsets) ?

20-24 holes too "limit" for sub 160 lbs riders ?

For carbon tubular rims, are 40mm X 27mm (370g/ea.) wide unnessarely wide and deep ? Better to go for 30mmX 25MM (330g/ea.) ?

Thanks for the tips !

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yz_387

by yz_387

I have raced several seasons (and trained on gravel roads during the off season) on a set of wheels built with the old Planet X 20mm carbon tubulars on BHS (Bitex)hubs 24 hole front and rear. They served my 150 pound self well. They come in under your weight target and are cheap. I have since moved to disc brakes on all of my cross bikes, so last season I rebuilt those rims on disc hubs and they are still going strong.

I also have a set of Reynolds Assault SLG Disc wheels and I really don't feel there is any advantage to the additional depth vs. the 20mm rims for racing cross. I would definitely pick the 30x25 over the 40x27 rims.

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

What kind of cross races do you enter? If you ride a lot of really muddy and wet courses, then deeper wheels can cut through deep stuff without the mud/water trying to 'close up' around the top of the rim. And when the wheel rotates, the vertical sidewalls can help to shed crap off the wheel. If you're a real honker up the sharp climbs, then the 40x27 rims may be a bit stiffer.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

jcrr

by jcrr

I will speak from my own experiences. First off, I'm 140lbs. Second, half of my 'season' is dry/mostly dry, second half can be an absolute mud fest.

As far as wheelset weight.... I have a set of Easton EC90slx's on DTSwiss hubs 180front (20h) and 240rear (24h). They have been rock-solid over many seasons. 1135g. Minimal and easy upkeep. Maybe others can chime in on number of holes for someone your size.

As far as hubs.... I contemplated building up (my current disc) wheels with something exotic. Extralite was on the list. Honestly, even if I could get past the cost, the UPKEEP is not for me. After particularly muddy races, I rather be drinking beers than taking hubs apart regularly to inspect for damage, re-grease, etc. I went with affordable and not svelte in the interest of beer time, and at 1260g for a disc set with 28h (f & r), I am happy.

As far as depth and width... at some point, there is such a thing as too wide, in the sense that the low-pressure tire will deform beyond what is optimal for grip. What is that width? I don't know. I am happy at 25mm. 30mm may be good for you, and it also depends on width of tires you are planning to use. Depth? I'd say as deep as you want without incurring a weight penalty, which is why I think a lot of us prefer as shallow as possible (20mm).

In summary, I, for my own use, rank them as: weight (rim>spokes>hub) > maintenance > width > fancy stuff > depth

jc

EDIT:

@MattSoutherden- I followed the link in your signature... did the club you ride with really form in 1883? As in, 133yrs ago!?

@yz_387- Do your 24h disc wheels feel flimsy under hard braking by your 150# self?
"If it ain't broken, it could be lighter"

clarkson

by clarkson

I know it's nothing boutique, but the Enve xc tubular rim, dt Swiss 240 hubs, 28h front and rear have been the best riding and most trouble free wheelset I have had the pleasure of owning. Total weight was about 1200g.

BrianAllan

by BrianAllan

clarkson wrote:I know it's nothing boutique, but the Enve xc tubular rim, dt Swiss 240 hubs, 28h front and rear have been the best riding and most trouble free wheelset I have had the pleasure of owning. Total weight was about 1200g.

I think that still qualifies as boutique : :beerchug:

Good to hear it's a nice wheelset. They're quite desirable.

LouisN wrote:I'm building one or two tubular wheelsets for CX racing (rim brakes).
I wonder if a 1100-1150 g wheelset would be reliable.

What's your best bets for lightest parts and configuration ?

Are very light hub options a bad idea for CX ( like Extralite, Carbon-ti, and sub 230g hubsets) ?

20-24 holes too "limit" for sub 160 lbs riders ?

For carbon tubular rims, are 40mm X 27mm (370g/ea.) wide unnessarely wide and deep ? Better to go for 30mmX 25MM (330g/ea.) ?

Louis, I think you could get away with a 24h rear on canti, at your weight, but you might need a few true'ings during the season. I'd say that 20h front is potentially, sub-optimal. Probably fine, but not confidence inspiring. Those 30mmx25 sound like the sweet spot for depth and width, but I'd prefer a 24h front if that's an option.

As far as hubs are concerned then it really just depends on if you'll be racing in rain/mud. If yes, go with something robust. the 240's are a great choice, and as you know, are seriously light. Even in dry conditions, it would be hard to argue using something like a tune or extralight hub to cut weight, though I've had nothing but good luck with my Tune disc hubs with about 4 years (and some bike packing).

yz_387

by yz_387

jcrr wrote:
@yz_387- Do your 24h disc wheels feel flimsy under hard braking by your 150# self?

No, not at all. They are actually quite confidence inspiring.

liam7020

by liam7020

Just reviving this thread for a quick question. I looking at an AR24 disc wheelset form Light Bicycle for this cross season. The lightweight version weighs 1130g whilst the standard option is 1275g. At 78kgs would I be better sticking to the standard version or would the lighter rim be ok? I'm tempted to the lighter set since there's only $30 between the options and I can undertake any truing etc myself but I wouldn't want them to completely collapse under my lardy ass! Cheers.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

hendemic

by hendemic

liam7020 wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:59 pm
Just reviving this thread for a quick question. I looking at an AR24 disc wheelset form Light Bicycle for this cross season. The lightweight version weighs 1130g whilst the standard option is 1275g. At 78kgs would I be better sticking to the standard version or would the lighter rim be ok? I'm tempted to the lighter set since there's only $30 between the options and I can undertake any truing etc myself but I wouldn't want them to completely collapse under my lardy ass! Cheers.
Did you go with the AR24 - and which version? I'm currently asking the same questions to myself that you asked the group!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com