Bottom Bracket for Ridley Crosswind frame?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Anyone know what size bottom bracket a Ridley Crosswind frame has? Tried Google but no luck!

Also - what length of axle is prefered for the best chainline?

Boonen

by Boonen

BSA, it should be on their site somewhere. I think axle length depends a bit on the crank you want to use on the bike. FI I'm pretty sure a campa 102 mm would fit fine if you ride chorus or record, you might want to check this with Ridley before ordering.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

I was offered the Shimano XTR m952 crankset (175mm) with BB (68/73 and 118mm) - if you say about 102mm then the 118mm is waaaaay too much! damn - I really like this cranks! Old-school and reminds me of Peter Riis Andersen and Allan Carlsen riding their Trek cross-bikes with XTR cranks in 1998!

Oswald

by Oswald

Mads Kock wrote:I was offered the Shimano XTR m952 crankset (175mm) with BB (68/73 and 118mm) - if you say about 102mm then the 118mm is waaaaay too much! damn - I really like this cranks! Old-school and reminds me of Peter Riis Andersen and Allan Carlsen riding their Trek cross-bikes with XTR cranks in 1998!

You could buy a 112.5 mm XTR for that crankset. Or you can use a 109.5 mm road octalink bb with those cranks, which would be cheaper if you get 105 quality or lighter if you get DA. Although I wouldn't recommend the DA, since it wears quickly in the mud. Ultegra would be the best choice (durable, cheap and only 10 grams heavier than the XTR)

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Thanks Oswald - that's a good solution! thank you very much!

Boonen

by Boonen

Mads, I just went out in my workshop to measure a bb I took out of my Crossbow some time ago. Luckily I still had it, and it is 115.5mm. I replaced with another 115.5 mm because I couldn't get a 111 (these are standard the two standards for centaur) There is about 8-9mm room between the crankarms on both the left and right side, so a 111 would fit better but a wider Q really doesn't bother me. I have a record bb in 102 that I rode with in the same frame with a matching crank and it fit in there as well but is more tight (the record and chorus cranks are shaped differently than their cheaper models). Just to illustrate that you really can't compare different bb's withs without knowing what crank they will be matched with.

The XTR would fit on your frame but would (ofcourse) have the same Q-factor as on a MTB when used with the same bb. IMO this isn't bad for a crossbike, but maybe that is personal as other people here tend to emphesize on a small Q-factor. I do think it is important that the room between the frame and the crank arms on both sides is the same, I can't tell you if this is the case with this setup but I don't think so.
If you like the cranks why not get them? I take it you will remove the smallest ring and go with a 2 ring setup? You would probably need a bb that is a bit more narrow, but you don't have to go with the more expensive XTR, you could also use a cheaper Ultegra or 105 to get the crank evenly spaced.

BTW, I rode races with both Peter Riis and Allan Carlsen on a couple of occasions around 98-99 (and later as well) :wink:

Boonen

by Boonen

Hmm, I see you already got the right advise in the time it took me to measure my bb and frame :lol:

Boonen

by Boonen

edit: double post. This just isn't my day :wink:

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Yes people here are very helpfull and that's why this is my favourite forum!!!

I have an Shimano Ultegra 68/108,5mm box (BC and octalink) - will this fit with a shimano xtr m952 crankarms?
You know the type, painted dark grey and with the spider in the large chainring!

Did you complete in the world champigonchip in Fredercia in... gusss it was in 1997 or 1998!

Boonen

by Boonen

Mads Kock wrote:I have an Shimano Ultegra 68/108,5mm box (BC and octalink) - will this fit with a shimano xtr m952 crankarms?
You know the type, painted dark grey and with the spider in the large chainring!

I really don't know what year XTR switched from bc to octalink as I'm not into MTB stuff as much as road an cx, but one of these would probably work with your frame and get even spacing between the cranks and the frame.

Mads Kock wrote:Did you complete in the world champigonchip in Fredercia in... gusss it was in 1997 or 1998!

No I didn't, I never was quite that good :) I remember the WC being in Sweden one time, but never in Denmark? Are you thinking about DM in Fredericia?

These guys came down to Holland and Belgium to race some times and I also raced the DM on mtb a couple of times (with bad luck)
One of them was when Peter Riis won after many years of Peter Djernis. (Aarhus, Viborg, some place near Randers, can't remember what place was what year, but these should be around 98-99 somewhere)

Oswald

by Oswald

Mads Kock wrote:Yes people here are very helpfull and that's why this is my favourite forum!!!

I have an Shimano Ultegra 68/108,5mm box (BC and octalink) - will this fit with a shimano xtr m952 crankarms?

Yes, the splines will fit. And I don't think the BB will be too narrow if you only use 2 rings.

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

I will using 36/48 chainrings - thank you very much, Oswald! You have been a great help here!!! :D

koser

by koser

Hey Mads....

Looks great that you get a cross bike.... still waiting for mine... also a crosswind - i´m getting Truvative rouleur on mine... TA 48-36 as well!

Shimano 105 gears - Hügi240 wheels - Deda Newton stem OS - Rithey bars - Avid brakes - Use carbon alien and so on...

will post it when it´s finished - will i see you at some danish cross events???
In the movie "The Matrix", Chuck Norris is the Matrix. If you pay close attention in the green "falling code" scenes, you can make out the faint texture of his beard.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Maybe in Korsør, 7-8.01.2006?

Other than that I'm not sure - seems like every race is in your side of the country and not mine :-)

What color did you go for? I'll have the black if there is one size 48cm for me!