New Aspero???

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

UltraXC
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:40 am

by UltraXC

prj71 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:30 pm
IMO, the Aspero needs to be able to fit wider tires up to 700 x 45 or 50. That's why I didn't buy that bike.
Funny, I bought an Aspero because it doesn't fit tires that wide. I wanted something that didn't ride or look funny with 28mm tires but could also fit 40mm tires for the occasional gravel ride/race.

prj71
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:49 pm

by prj71

My Scott Addict gravel fits 45 for sure 47-50 might be pushing it, but I put my 32mm road bike tires on it and it did not look funny. Well...at least nobody laughed at me that I know about.

Looks don't concern me with bikes. Function more important.

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



UltraXC
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:40 am

by UltraXC

The Addict Gravel has longer chainstays, and a much longer wheelbase than an Aspero. From what I've read, the Addict is limited to a 40-42mm tire with a 2x setup anyways... unless you run a wide crank with smaller chainrings.

I did a lot of research on gravel bikes this fall. My priorities were 1. Feeling as close to a race bike as possible 2. Being able to run a 50/34 crank. 3. How big of a tire can I fit for gravel without comprimising the previous two. My conclusion was that inorder to run a road chainline and have the bike feel like a race bike it won't be able to fit tires larger than 40mm. Interestingly, the new Enve Fray fits the bill - although it's a less aggresive position than the Aspero.

RDY
Posts: 2501
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:31 pm

by RDY

UltraXC wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:28 pm
The Addict Gravel has longer chainstays, and a much longer wheelbase than an Aspero. From what I've read, the Addict is limited to a 40-42mm tire with a 2x setup anyways... unless you run a wide crank with smaller chainrings.

I did a lot of research on gravel bikes this fall. My priorities were 1. Feeling as close to a race bike as possible 2. Being able to run a 50/34 crank. 3. How big of a tire can I fit for gravel without comprimising the previous two. My conclusion was that inorder to run a road chainline and have the bike feel like a race bike it won't be able to fit tires larger than 40mm. Interestingly, the new Enve Fray fits the bill - although it's a less aggresive position than the Aspero.
That's definitely not correct. I've seen people with 45 rear on fairly wide rims with road 2x on the Addict.

1) What do you mean race bike? Road race bike? Because that's going to be slow on any kind of technical or chunky gravel. 2) Scott can do that.

UltraXC
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:40 am

by UltraXC

RDY wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:40 pm
UltraXC wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:28 pm
The Addict Gravel has longer chainstays, and a much longer wheelbase than an Aspero. From what I've read, the Addict is limited to a 40-42mm tire with a 2x setup anyways... unless you run a wide crank with smaller chainrings.

I did a lot of research on gravel bikes this fall. My priorities were 1. Feeling as close to a race bike as possible 2. Being able to run a 50/34 crank. 3. How big of a tire can I fit for gravel without comprimising the previous two. My conclusion was that inorder to run a road chainline and have the bike feel like a race bike it won't be able to fit tires larger than 40mm. Interestingly, the new Enve Fray fits the bill - although it's a less aggresive position than the Aspero.
That's definitely not correct. I've seen people with 45 rear on fairly wide rims with road 2x on the Addict.

1) What do you mean race bike? Road race bike? Because that's going to be slow on any kind of technical or chunky gravel. 2) Scott can do that.
That's definitely news to me. This user seemed to have issues: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167336&start=150

The new Shimano 12sp road groups seem to have Front Deraileur clearance issues on gravel bikes (including the Aspero)

By race bike I mean road race bike. The Aspero seemed to be the closest while still being able to handle a 40mm tire. I'm not trying to ride single track or chunky gravel.. although the Aspero handles it fine. If I'm riding singletrack I'm on a mountain bike.

prj71
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:49 pm

by prj71

UltraXC wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:28 pm
The Addict Gravel has longer chainstays, and a much longer wheelbase than an Aspero. From what I've read, the Addict is limited to a 40-42mm tire with a 2x setup anyways... unless you run a wide crank with smaller chainrings.
Definitely not correct. I have 700 x 45 tires on mine with 2x. They actually measure a smidge over 45mm. I know I could fit 50 in the front and probably 47 in the rear.

Image

UltraXC
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:40 am

by UltraXC

prj71 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:52 pm
UltraXC wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:28 pm
The Addict Gravel has longer chainstays, and a much longer wheelbase than an Aspero. From what I've read, the Addict is limited to a 40-42mm tire with a 2x setup anyways... unless you run a wide crank with smaller chainrings.
Definitely not correct. I have 700 x 45 tires on mine with 2x. They actually measure a smidge over 45mm. I know I could fit 50 in the front and probably 47 in the rear.

Image
Nice looking bike. Great color. Is that crank a road chainline? What size rings?

prj71
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:49 pm

by prj71

Stock Praxis Alba Gravel Crank.

UltraXC
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:40 am

by UltraXC

prj71 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:00 pm
Stock Praxis Alba Gravel Crank.
So you're running a wide crank with smaller rings.. got it. What I said still stands haha

chmiel
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:41 pm

by chmiel

magnusss wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:47 am
chmiel wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:11 am
slacker, longer wheelbase, udh, and internal storage. Most likely lighter. I think thats it. Which is fantastic!
So basicly a Santa Cruz Stigmata, or will the Aspero have more aero feautures and less tire clearance than the Stigmata?
I'm thinking there are two or even possibly three gravel bikes coming out from Cervelo soon (ps. This is pure speculation):
1. A new Aspero (5?) with updated race geometry, more aero, lighter frame, udh, integrated handlebars (?)
2. A new Aspero with updated geometry, udh but Soloist style handlebars (not fully integrated).
3. A new Gravel bike which might not even be called Aspero or quite possibly a non-race focused Aspero with more tire clearance and hence less aero and less racey than #1. Basically a Cervelo branded Stigmata.

Aakoo
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:22 pm
Location: Espoo

by Aakoo

UltraXC wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:05 pm
prj71 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:00 pm
Stock Praxis Alba Gravel Crank.
So you're running a wide crank with smaller rings.. got it. What I said still stands haha
I have Ultegra 8100 50/34 crankset and Di2 FD on my Addict Gravel. With S-Works Pathfinder tyres (measured width 44mm) there's about 7,5mm clearance to the FD.

RDY
Posts: 2501
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:31 pm

by RDY

chmiel wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:42 am
magnusss wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:47 am
chmiel wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:11 am
slacker, longer wheelbase, udh, and internal storage. Most likely lighter. I think thats it. Which is fantastic!
So basicly a Santa Cruz Stigmata, or will the Aspero have more aero feautures and less tire clearance than the Stigmata?
I'm thinking there are two or even possibly three gravel bikes coming out from Cervelo soon (ps. This is pure speculation):
1. A new Aspero (5?) with updated race geometry, more aero, lighter frame, udh, integrated handlebars (?)
2. A new Aspero with updated geometry, udh but Soloist style handlebars (not fully integrated).
3. A new Gravel bike which might not even be called Aspero or quite possibly a non-race focused Aspero with more tire clearance and hence less aero and less racey than #1. Basically a Cervelo branded Stigmata.
There's absolutely no way they're launching 3 lots of SKUs in this market. If they do they've lost the plot.

chmiel
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:41 pm

by chmiel

RDY wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:38 pm
chmiel wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:42 am
magnusss wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:47 am
chmiel wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:11 am
slacker, longer wheelbase, udh, and internal storage. Most likely lighter. I think thats it. Which is fantastic!
So basicly a Santa Cruz Stigmata, or will the Aspero have more aero feautures and less tire clearance than the Stigmata?
I'm thinking there are two or even possibly three gravel bikes coming out from Cervelo soon (ps. This is pure speculation):
1. A new Aspero (5?) with updated race geometry, more aero, lighter frame, udh, integrated handlebars (?)
2. A new Aspero with updated geometry, udh but Soloist style handlebars (not fully integrated).
3. A new Gravel bike which might not even be called Aspero or quite possibly a non-race focused Aspero with more tire clearance and hence less aero and less racey than #1. Basically a Cervelo branded Stigmata.
There's absolutely no way they're launching 3 lots of SKUs in this market. If they do they've lost the plot.
I don't think they have lost the plot. Cervelo is expanding its offerings, and this direction is visible in plain sight with the launching of the ZHT, ZFS and Rouvida brands recently. And the launching of the Soloist shows that they are not afraid to take the risk and launch more choices. People want choices.
With that said, they need gravel bikes to compete with both the Grail and the Grizl. Keeping the Aspero name for the race-focused gravel bike and launching a new name for the non race-focused gravel bike.
I wouldn't be surprised if the non race-focused gravel bike to be just a re-branded Stigmata with Soloist style handlebars but it needs to have UDH which is the future of gravel bikes.
I also wouldn't be surprised if they are delaying the launch of the new Gravel UDH Cervelo frames until XPLR Transmission is launched which I am hoping will be at the same time as the new Cervelo Aspero launch. :)

prj71
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:49 pm

by prj71

UltraXC wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:05 pm
prj71 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:00 pm
Stock Praxis Alba Gravel Crank.
So you're running a wide crank with smaller rings.. got it. What I said still stands haha
Sure. 48/32. Even if the rings were bigger there would be no problem with tire clearance.

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



User avatar
cerro
Posts: 1966
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 2:11 pm
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Contact:

by cerro

UltraXC wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:00 pm
prj71 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:30 pm
IMO, the Aspero needs to be able to fit wider tires up to 700 x 45 or 50. That's why I didn't buy that bike.
Funny, I bought an Aspero because it doesn't fit tires that wide. I wanted something that didn't ride or look funny with 28mm tires but could also fit 40mm tires for the occasional gravel ride/race.
Depends what look you like I guess. I use my Ostro Gravel with 26mm tires for road :)

But for sure, hope the Aspero will be more aero. It's an aerobrand after all.

Post Reply