Crux 2021

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

HBike

by HBike

Agent041 wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:08 am
Have a question, and do not want to read all the posts.
I did not buy Crux as all models have 1x in front. And I am mostly roadie so 2x in front is my prefered choice.
But I will upgrade my mechanical 2x groupset in near future anyway on my new gravel bike (Addict Gravel).

And now I see previous posts, that 2x upgrade is possible. And my preffered choice would be 105 Di2 12speed with 50/34 chainring. Is this possible? And also, can I update to 50/34 and still get 45c tyre into it? If not, what max tyre is for that groupset?
The Scott is a fantastic bike, can be used with 52/36 or 50/34 without issues, and still has room for 45mm or even larger tire widths, without the need to use spacers or other tricks (and is quite a lot cheaper).

But it is possible to install Di2 road cranks on the Crux.

Agent041

by Agent041

HBike wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:10 am
The Scott is a fantastic bike, can be used with 52/36 or 50/34 without issues, and still has room for 45mm or even larger tire widths, without the need to use spacers or other tricks (and is quite a lot cheaper).

Am counting on it for Addict to be great. Especially as primary focus will be on winter riding on tarmac, as my secon road bike (with road wheels), and additionaly as gravel bike about once a week.

Have decided between Crux and Addict Gravel, as Crux is also heavy discounted on this site:
https://www.biker-boarder.de/specialized/2995172.html
but eventually went for Addict, as it already has 2x in front (group is GRX600/800). And am not yet sure when I will upgrade it to 105 Di2

My upgrade will mostly depend on if I can ride with frozen fingers on a Di2. :D My road bike has Ultegra Di2 (12speed) and so far it looks as it will work. I rode yesterday will more thick gloves and frozen fingers and could shift (almost) normally. You could not do that with Ultegra Di2 11speed, as it had no "bumb"transition, when feeling on shifter up and down button.

Does enybody maybe know how it is with GRX Di2 11-speed? If maybe I get somewhere good offer. Can one shift easely with thick gloves and frozen fingers in winter?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HBike

by HBike

Agent041 wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:44 am
HBike wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:10 am

Am counting on it for Addict to be great. Especially as primary focus will be on winter riding on tarmac, as my secon road bike (with road wheels), and additionaly as gravel bike about once a week.

Have decided between Crux and Addict Gravel, as Crux is also heavy discounted on this site:
https://www.biker-boarder.de/specialized/2995172.html
but eventually went for Addict, as it already has 2x in front (group is GRX600/800). And am not yet sure when I will upgrade it to 105 Di2

My upgrade will mostly depend on if I can ride with frozen fingers on a Di2. :D My road bike has Ultegra Di2 (12speed) and so far it looks as it will work. I rode yesterday will more thick gloves and frozen fingers and could shift (almost) normally. You could not do that with Ultegra Di2 11speed, as it had no "bumb"transition, when feeling on shifter up and down button.

Does enybody maybe know how it is with GRX Di2 11-speed? If maybe I get somewhere good offer. Can one shift easely with thick gloves and frozen fingers in winter?
I commute to work every day and have no issues. I set it up similar to SRAM. Right down, left up + synchronized shift for automatic FD changes. Does everything I need, works everytime and even with thick gloves.

Agent041

by Agent041

HBike wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:51 pm
I commute to work every day and have no issues. I set it up similar to SRAM. Right down, left up + synchronized shift for automatic FD changes. Does everything I need, works everytime and even with thick gloves.
I did not even know you can do this on new 12speed Di2. :) That would be the best option for deep winter rides. 1-2hours is no problem. But longer and my fingers are dead frozen :D
Do you set this on mobile app?

HBike

by HBike

Agent041 wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:00 pm
HBike wrote:
I did not even know you can do this on new 12speed Di2. :) That would be the best option for deep winter rides. 1-2hours is no problem. But longer and my fingers are dead frozen :D
Yes. You have numerous options to personalize. You can also program buttons on top of the shifter for Ultegra and DA.

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

Agent041 wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:00 pm
HBike wrote:
You could do it on the 11sp Di2 as well. That's how my CX bike has been setup for the last 5 years.

scale29

by scale29

Has anyone tried larger tyres on 650b wheels on their crux? I usually run 700c 42mm tyres on mine on LB WR50 but have just bought a silly cheap pair of 25mm internal 650b Carbon wheels and thinking about putting some 2.1" Vitoria Mezcal on them for a bit of MTB lite action. Before I buy the tyres has anyone tried and confirm they'll clear ok? Cheers in advance!

jayjay

by jayjay

According to Specialized 2.1" on 650B is fine.

scale29

by scale29

Yes thanks, I read that but was just wondering if anyone had actually done it rather than 'should fit'. I might just buy the tyres and try it, but no point in wasting money on them if it's no go.

SpeedyChix

by SpeedyChix

scale29 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:21 pm
Has anyone tried larger tyres on 650b wheels on their crux? I usually run 700c 42mm tyres on mine on LB WR50 but have just bought a silly cheap pair of 25mm internal 650b Carbon wheels and thinking about putting some 2.1" Vitoria Mezcal on them for a bit of MTB lite action. Before I buy the tyres has anyone tried and confirm they'll clear ok? Cheers in advance!
Not the specific combo but Schwalbe Thunder Burt 2.1 x 27.5 on Nox Skyline rims fit.
adrenaline junkie

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

scale29 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:37 pm
Yes thanks, I read that but was just wondering if anyone had actually done it rather than 'should fit'. I might just buy the tyres and try it, but no point in wasting money on them if it's no go.
If Specialized is listing it on their site... it will DEFINITELY fit. Nothing "should fit" about it.

scale29

by scale29

SpeedyChix wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:29 pm
scale29 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:21 pm
Not the specific combo but Schwalbe Thunder Burt 2.1 x 27.5 on Nox Skyline rims fit.
Good enough for me! thanks SpeedyChix

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

BikeTyson wrote:
ultimobici wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:48 pm
BikeTyson wrote:
zmjones wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:31 pm
how many times do we have to rehash this in this thread? shimano road 2x does work, despite specialized saying it doesn't. many specialized pro athletes, many people in this thread, etc. have run shimano 2x road in various configurations (e.g. quarq spider or shimano cranks) without any modification. i personally run a quarq dfour spider with 9100 50-34 rings. i think bigger than 50-34 may not work without extra spacers, but 50/34 does work.
It's kind of funny you mention that setup. Because it bypasses the problem most people have with Shimano road setups, which are the Shimano cranks/bolts. So by using a SRAM crank and Quarq spider, it makes sense that it fits without issue. It's not the chainrings that are the issue. And like I said in a different comment, it's an easy fix by using a driveside spacer. I had enough room to run a 35t inner ring.
Driveside spacer? Where does that fit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1mm spacer between crankarm and BB. It'll just slide onto the spindle. Basically just pushes the whole crank/spider outboard.

https://www.nashbar.com/wheels-manufact ... 4?v=307723
So how is the left hand crank supposed to be fitted properly with the bolts properly torqued??

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

ultimobici wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:08 am
BikeTyson wrote:
ultimobici wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:48 pm
BikeTyson wrote:
It's kind of funny you mention that setup. Because it bypasses the problem most people have with Shimano road setups, which are the Shimano cranks/bolts. So by using a SRAM crank and Quarq spider, it makes sense that it fits without issue. It's not the chainrings that are the issue. And like I said in a different comment, it's an easy fix by using a driveside spacer. I had enough room to run a 35t inner ring.
Driveside spacer? Where does that fit?

1mm spacer between crankarm and BB. It'll just slide onto the spindle. Basically just pushes the whole crank/spider outboard.

https://www.nashbar.com/wheels-manufact ... 4?v=307723
So how is the left hand crank supposed to be fitted properly with the bolts properly torqued??

Left fits as normal. 1mm drive side spacer doesn't change the left side.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

scale29

by scale29

It does though doesn't it. It means the left hand arm engages on the splines 1mm less. Wether that matters or not only Shimano engineers can determine, but you can be sure if it fails they'd use it as a reason for no warranty.