2022 Scott Addict Gravel

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

plrww

by plrww

Agent041 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:02 pm
I see that you have Addict Gravel 30. Will receive mine in few days, and will also do lots of changes. More like road setup. Could you share what handlebar and what stem did you get, so you can easely also do the same internal routing for hydraulics. Did you also had to change the spacers beneth the stem?

Also, I thought the stem lenght on size L is 103mm?
My setup is pretty roadie because I use this bike mostly on gravel, asphalt, sand, etc. roads. I took the bike completely apart and rebuilt it to my liking. The original GRX 600 groupset was ok, used it for 1000+ km until I got the 105 Di2 12-s groupset.

The stem and the handlebar are

Stem: Syncros RR 1.5 (https://www.syncros.com/za/en/product/s ... r-1-5-stem), 110 mm (the same length as the original stem)
Handlebar: Nonflared road Syncros Creston 1.5 Compact (https://www.syncros.com/us/en/product/s ... -handlebar), 440 mm

I have tried some flared handlebars and they are not for me.

The internal routing of the brake hoses through the stem and handlebar was not as difficult as I thought, but it took its time as I hadn't done this before. The 105 chainrings have plenty of clearance to the frame. Also no problem running the stock 45 mm tyres. There is plenty of space between the tyre and the front derailleur/chain. The bike originally came with Praxis Alba gravel chainset and because it has a 28/30 mm axle, I replaced the bottom bracket with a standard 24 mm Shimano road BB.

The one issue I have is the stem cap. The Syncros stem came with spacers that need to be used with the stem and the stem cap, but I can't get the magnetic plastic cover of the cap to fit when the cap is in place. I have hacked/bodged this by removing the stem cap after tightening the stem bolts. If I don't do this, the plastic cover will not sit flush with the top of the stem. Is there a special cap/expander bolt that should be used?

It is now -10 C and full winter here so the bike is equipped with 38 mm studded winter tyres for the next 4-5 months.

Agent041

by Agent041

plrww wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:43 pm
My setup is pretty roadie because I use this bike mostly on gravel, asphalt, sand, etc. roads. I took the bike completely apart and rebuilt it to my liking. The original GRX 600 groupset was ok, used it for 1000+ km until I got the 105 Di2 12-s groupset.

Stem: Syncros RR 1.5 (https://www.syncros.com/za/en/product/s ... r-1-5-stem), 110 mm (the same length as the original stem)
Handlebar: Nonflared road Syncros Creston 1.5 Compact (https://www.syncros.com/us/en/product/s ... -handlebar), 440 mm

The internal routing of the brake hoses through the stem and handlebar was not as difficult as I thought, but it took its time as I hadn't done this before. The 105 chainrings have plenty of clearance to the frame. Also no problem running the stock 45 mm tyres. There is plenty of space between the tyre and the front derailleur/chain. The bike originally came with Praxis Alba gravel chainset and because it has a 28/30 mm axle, I replaced the bottom bracket with a standard 24 mm Shimano road BB.

The one issue I have is the stem cap. The Syncros stem came with spacers that need to be used with the stem and the stem cap, but I can't get the magnetic plastic cover of the cap to fit when the cap is in place. I have hacked/bodged this by removing the stem cap after tightening the stem bolts. If I don't do this, the plastic cover will not sit flush with the top of the stem. Is there a special cap/expander bolt that should be used?
Your setup looks absolute perfect to me. Also plan to upgrade to 105 Di2. As I don not dare to ride carbon handlebar on gravel (will always doubt on creack if I fall or bike drops down), the lighter and better alu handlebar is perfect. Also the stem.

Only this Magnetic cap on the stem apeares to be the issue. Did you do some research about this problem? Is it only your, or do all have this problem?

I received mine Addict Gravel 30 yesterday, and tried the shifting (on a stand), and feels semi-hard. Probably due to internal routing, but maybe because it has been a couple of months now that I have tried mechanical shifting, as my road bike also has Di2 (Ultegra) now. But will see on my first ride, how it feels on the road.

The RR 2.0 X handlebar is a no-go. I couldnt find any specs on web, and when I saw it, I did not like it. Was expecting 44 wide on the hoods, but was around 40ish (center-to-center). And on the drops around 52ish. If on hoods it would be 44 and drops 52, then maybe, but now, on hoods to narrow.
How much flare does the road 1.5 handlebar compact have? Is there zero or maybe some little as some road handlebars have (about 2cm wider)?

Currently I am most worried that the seller told me to send the bike back for frame replacement, as there is some problematic paint /laquer finish on the down tube near the heat tube. In my opinion it is only on top, but the seller does not want to take any chance that something happens and then it will be their fault. I have been waiting for the bike some time now, and it is winter outside, so I need the bike. It is too risky to ride with road bike (narrow tyres). But if they insist, then I will have to send it back. But question is, when will they even receive the new frame.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

plrww

by plrww

I didn't really look into the stem cap issue earlier. I just used the parts that came with the stem and assumed they'd be the ones to use. Now I found this YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=Js8qZaX9zqE. It sure looks that they have a different stem cap with this stem. I think I'll have to get this cap for the magnetic cover to fit.

About the handlebar flare. I haven't measured it, but I think there is no flare at all. I prefer to have the shifters sit vertical and haven't found any use for the flare on the drops.

London9921

by London9921

Agent041 wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:06 pm
Currently I am most worried that the seller told me to send the bike back for frame replacement, as there is some problematic paint /laquer finish on the down tube near the heat tube. In my opinion it is only on top, but the seller does not want to take any chance that something happens and then it will be their fault. I have been waiting for the bike some time now, and it is winter outside, so I need the bike. It is too risky to ride with road bike (narrow tyres). But if they insist, then I will have to send it back. But question is, when will they even receive the new frame.

Are you speaking about some kind of recall here? What year? Sounds odd

Agent041

by Agent041

London9921 wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:08 pm
Agent041 wrote:

No. It was only me frame. Would send pictures, but somehow I cannot find where can I insert a photo. Some time ago I could upload a photo, but now, I just simply cannot find it :)

HBike

by HBike

plrww wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:43 pm
Agent041 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:02 pm
I see that you have Addict Gravel 30. Will receive mine in few days, and will also do lots of changes. More like road setup. Could you share what handlebar and what stem did you get, so you can easely also do the same internal routing for hydraulics. Did you also had to change the spacers beneth the stem?

Also, I thought the stem lenght on size L is 103mm?

It is now -10 C and full winter here so the bike is equipped with 38 mm studded winter tyres for the next 4-5 months.
This looks wrong, like two top caps or too long a steerer.

My magnetic plastic cover was not perfectly flush, so I filed down the top cap half a mm and now it is fine. After tightening the headset and then tightening the stem you don't need it anymore anyway.

London9921

by London9921

Agent041 wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:15 pm
London9921 wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:08 pm
Agent041 wrote:

No. It was only me frame. Would send pictures, but somehow I cannot find where can I insert a photo. Some time ago I could upload a photo, but now, I just simply cannot find it :)
Ah! Got me worried for a moment. Hope your issue resolves soon :wink:

plrww

by plrww

HBike wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:02 pm
You are right. The part between the stem and the cap was not quite in its proper place because it was blocked by the small metal piece where the other plastic cover bolt is attached to. When corrected the stem cap went 1-2 mm towards the stem. However, even after correcting this the problem remains.

When the cap is in its place, the plastic cover won't go lower than this.

When I remove the cap, the cover sits as intended.

Some images to show what's inside.

I have seen at least two YouTube videos where this stem is installed. They both have a different stem cap with a deeper depression in the center. This leaves more room for the magnet. I sent a question to Syncros if the cap is the correct one. Now that I've removed the stem cap the plastic cap is only held to the stem by the plastic hooks in the back of the cover. The magnet is not doing anything.

HBike

by HBike

plrww wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:48 pm
HBike wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:02 pm
You are right. The part between the stem and the cap was not quite in its proper place because it was blocked by the small metal piece where the other plastic cover bolt is attached to. When corrected the stem cap went 1-2 mm towards the stem. However, even after correcting this the problem remains.

When the cap is in its place, the plastic cover won't go lower than this.

When I remove the cap, the cover sits as intended.

Some images to show what's inside.

I have seen at least two YouTube videos where this stem is installed. They both have a different stem cap with a deeper depression in the center. This leaves more room for the magnet. I sent a question to Syncros if the cap is the correct one. Now that I've removed the stem cap the plastic cap is only held to the stem by the plastic hooks in the back of the cover. The magnet is not doing anything.
This is the one I use on both my Creston bar/stem combos:
https://www.winterparkcycles.com/headse ... on-23.html

plrww

by plrww

HBike wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:17 pm
This is the one I use on both my Creston bar/stem combos:
https://www.winterparkcycles.com/headse ... on-23.html
I wonder why this cap is not included in the Syncros RR 1.5 stem sales package. I bet it would work.

Tonsos

by Tonsos

I have the same problem as you plrww. I bought the Creston IS CL X bar/stem combo and it was delivered without the top cap that has the deep depression in the center. So now the stem cap sits above the stem and points upwards a bit whick looks silly.

I'm fairly certain that the correct top cap would fix the issue, but said top cap is anooyingly difficult to source in europe. I've been trying for a while and now have it on order at r2-bike ( https://r2-bike.com/SYNCROS-Ahead-Top-C ... Unit-black ) Expected delivery is march 1st. If anyone has a spare or know of a place where it is in stock, I am very interested!
Last edited by Tonsos on Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

plrww

by plrww

I got an answer from Scott Sweden about the cap. They confirm that the right cap is the one mentioned above by Tonsos. They say the cap is not in stock and it is expected to arrive in April 2024. Since the depressed top cap is not really needed when the stem is tightened and I can use the other cap to get the slack away, I'll probably just get it later.

Scott Sweden also mentions that the stem cap to be used is the one that's coming with the bike. I think stock Scott Addict Gravel bikes are not delivered with this stem and therefore I don't have the depressed cap. It would have made sense to have this cap included in the stem sales package since it is the only one that actually works with it. Thank you all for your comments!

protocol_droid

by protocol_droid

Anyone have a referenced frame weight for any hmf gravel frame addict? I saw a couple of posts in here but that was with bottle cages or thru axles etc, nothing with a naked frame. Thanks, been thinking about one of these as a replacement for my crux.
naked 3po, the first weight weenie.

Tonsos

by Tonsos

plrww wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:54 pm
I got an answer from Scott Sweden about the cap. They confirm that the right cap is the one mentioned above by Tonsos. They say the cap is not in stock and it is expected to arrive in April 2024. Since the depressed top cap is not really needed when the stem is tightened and I can use the other cap to get the slack away, I'll probably just get it later.

Scott Sweden also mentions that the stem cap to be used is the one that's coming with the bike. I think stock Scott Addict Gravel bikes are not delivered with this stem and therefore I don't have the depressed cap. It would have made sense to have this cap included in the stem sales package since it is the only one that actually works with it. Thank you all for your comments!
I agree that the top cap should be included - or at least just a bit more readily available.. I was considering riding without the top cap as well (should be fine as long as the stem bolts are tightened properly), but my LBS advised against it, so I'll be riding with the wonky looking stem cap for now. Sucks when you buy a premium product like the Creston bar/stem combo :/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HBike

by HBike

Tonsos wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:01 pm
I have the same problem as you plrww. I bought the Creston IS CL X bar/stem combo and it was delivered without the top cap that has the deep depression in the center. So now the stem cap sits above the stem and points upwards a bit whick looks silly.

I'm fairly certain that the correct top cap would fix the issue, but said top cap is anooyingly difficult to source in europe. I've been trying for a while and now have it on order at r2-bike ( https://r2-bike.com/SYNCROS-Ahead-Top-C ... Unit-black ) Expected delivery is march 1st. If anyone has a spare or know of a place where it is in stock, I am very interested!
I should have a spare. I will check it.