New powermeter rumours

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

morrisond

by morrisond

toxin wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 9:16 pm
morrisond wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 8:24 pm
What is the scuttlebut on SRM X-Power Road pedals? I went back through these pages and couldn't find anything and no real reviews on-line except for the MTB ones.

Does anyone know a store in Europe who sells these?
its probably the same internals with the same problems and different pedal bodies
The same Problems? I thought the X-Powers were pretty good.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

toxin

by toxin

I don't know if there've been any meaningful improvements since, but: https://youtu.be/g0fZTNSkiSE

tallboyeu

by tallboyeu

Anyone noticed if Looks new Keo Blade Power are used by any of the teams in this years Giro d’Italia?

Or is Pedal based not ProTour material, even if they are sponsored by look?

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

tallboyeu wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 8:39 pm
Anyone noticed if Looks new Keo Blade Power are used by any of the teams in this years Giro d’Italia?

Or is Pedal based not ProTour material, even if they are sponsored by look?
Shimano sponsored riders use Dura ace PM cranks (or perhaps but unlikely, Garmin Rally RS200 as they are compatible)

Sram riders I would believe all use the Quarq.

So the Look pedals fill no void in the ProTours

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

eucalyptus wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 7:55 am

Shimano sponsored riders use Dura ace PM cranks (or perhaps but unlikely, Garmin Rally RS200 as they are compatible)

Sram riders I would believe all use the Quarq.

So the Look pedals fill no void in the ProTours

The only WT teams sponsored by Shimano would be Ineos, Alpecin-Deceuninck, FDJ, Soudal-Quickstep, DSM and Jayco-AlUla.
The only teams sponsored by SRAM are VLaB, Bora, Lidl-Trek and Movistar.

toxin

by toxin

Yeah but almost all non shimano sponsored teams that buy parts from shimano use shimano pms.

tallboyeu

by tallboyeu

toxin wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 9:40 am
Yeah but almost all non shimano sponsored teams that buy parts from shimano use shimano pms.
Interesting. Reviews of Dcrainmaker and GPLama were pretty bad for 9200 Shimano PM….

lukaszzsch

by lukaszzsch

That’s why I have recently heard not to fully believe in after race power readings such as Ganna. This info was given by the person who works for WorldTour team.

RDY

by RDY

Bigger Shimano PM teams must have paid someone to develop a cleaning algorithm for the data .. albeit doesn't help much during the ride, unless they could squeeze it into a connectIQ app (unlikely) or android app (HH).

Aeo

by Aeo

Garbage in, garbage out
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

cdncyclist

by cdncyclist

RDY wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 3:46 pm
Bigger Shimano PM teams must have paid someone to develop a cleaning algorithm for the data .. albeit doesn't help much during the ride, unless they could squeeze it into a connectIQ app (unlikely) or android app (HH).
This is something I have been very curious about. The shimano powermeter has been declared inaccurate and a 'do not buy' by several respected reviewers, yet there are many world tour teams that have them on their bikes. Power is an important metric (and even if the shimano PM was 'good enough' for us mortals, I would think pro's would want to minimize any error / uncertainty in power data).

Is it not as inaccurate as reviewed? Are they not useing the data? If not, doesn't look like they are using a second 'hidden' powermeter (?). If an algorithm could be designed and used as a 'fix', woouldn't shimano have implemented it?

I am genuinely curious as to what these teams are doing

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

cdncyclist wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 4:56 pm
RDY wrote:
This is something I have been very curious about. The shimano powermeter has been declared inaccurate and a 'do not buy' by several respected reviewers, yet there are many world tour teams that have them on their bikes. Power is an important metric (and even if the shimano PM was 'good enough' for us mortals, I would think pro's would want to minimize any error / uncertainty in power data).

Is it not as inaccurate as reviewed? Are they not useing the data? If not, doesn't look like they are using a second 'hidden' powermeter (?). If an algorithm could be designed and used as a 'fix', woouldn't shimano have implemented it?

Indeed. Many of the teams these days are prescribing very particular diets for their riders during stage races and they are basing the size and composition of these meals on the energy the riders burn during the stage. If the data they are getting is so bad, how do they have any confidence that their meal plans are what's needed, I wonder?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

If you could fix the problem with an algorithm, it would have been implemented in firmware…

sigma

by sigma

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 7:58 pm
If you could fix the problem with an algorithm, it would have been implemented in firmware…
Yep. It's genuinely baffling why Shimano did not simply rebrand one of the best performing powermeters (Pioneer) which they bought and effectively shut down.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tallboyeu

by tallboyeu

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 6:09 pm
cdncyclist wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 4:56 pm
RDY wrote:

Indeed. Many of the teams these days are prescribing very particular diets for their riders during stage races and they are basing the size and composition of these meals on the energy the riders burn during the stage. If the data they are getting is so bad, how do they have any confidence that their meal plans are what's needed, I wonder?
Maybe all of this powermetering based riding is overrated. Or the level of accuracy? Maybe +- 10% accuracy is enough?

I’m actually thinking to get rid of powermeters…