New powermeter rumours

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

calicyclist

by calicyclist

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:30 am
calicyclist wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:44 am
maquisard wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:00 pm
Both SRM and Campagnolo nowadays make technically inferior products at a premium price.
I haven't used Campy but I got an SRM power meter on my new bike last year and I am very happy with it compared to Pioneer, Stages, Shimano, and Power2Max PMs. Glad I paid the premium.

As someone who has tested over a dozen different power meters and still has an IC2 coming soon-ish, that is an insane statement.
You have tested over a dozen compared to the seven I have used so your knowledge must surely trump the experience I've had to the point I must be insane. All bow to Tobin. Our power meter knowledge god.
Argonaut RM3 | Pivot Trail 429

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

calicyclist wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:25 am
You have tested over a dozen compared to the seven I have used so your knowledge must surely trump the experience I've had to the point I must be insane. All bow to Tobin. Our power meter knowledge god.

To me a power meter is a piece of commodity hardware. At this point I expect a max observed 1.5% discrepancy between $400 power meters on a day-to-day basis and outside of a few bad actors (mostly crank-based PMs) that’s been achieved. In the end it’s up to you if you want to treat a power meter as a piece of jewelry I guess.

Also keep in mind SRM made two of the worst power meters in recent memory, the Exakt pedals and the X-Power pedals.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

calicyclist

by calicyclist

For me, my PM is the most important piece of "technology" that I ride with. The only other thing that is constantly giving me a measurement I care about is my HRM. I can deal with inconsistent HR readings; but bad power data impacts my riding as it gets in my head and messes with my effort in both segment timing as well as event timing for any sort of long efforts.

I used a Pioneer PM for years that was pretty reliable until it started spitting out all sorts of junk and Pioneer wanted $700 to repair 4yo cranks. I used Wahoo's POWRlink pedals while the Pioneer was failing for a few events and they were fine but I would often have issues where it was reporting only one side of the power or drop out occasionally. I still use these when I travel and rent bikes and they're fine. I eventually swapped the failing Pioneer cranks to Stages and these worked for less than a year until they started dropping out all over the place and I opened a support case with Stages that they still haven't responded to a year later.

Everyone knows about the inconsistency with Shimano's PMs as it's been widely reported. I've seen the same thing when borrowing friend's bikes with them and similar, but less severe inconsistency with SRAM power meters also from borrowed friend's bikes.

The Power2Max I've used is on my MTB and it's generally been okay. But I've had pairing issues on more than one occasion when starting rides - and I don't ride my MTB all that much.

Since I've been using the SRM over the past year I have over 12k miles on it and it has been absolutely flawless from day one. Not one moment of dropout. No weird readings. No pairing problems. Battery life is excellent. My only complaint is the battery connector can be a bit fiddly to get attached sometimes but it just takes an extra 10 seconds or so to get it in the right spot. The confidence that it is going to work every single time for me is worth the premium.

Also, I kinda disagree on the jewelry comment. I think that the Origin PM9 crankset with the Carbon-Ti chainrings is sexy and stands out from everyone else I see around. It's kinda like buying an OSPW from that perspective. I think it makes my bike look cooler and that's partially worth it as well.

You can think that all of this makes me "insane." But I think that's quite a stretch. I throw enough money at cycling shit that paying a bit more to have consistency isn't a problem at all. I'd do it again without question.

Bobbyc123

by Bobbyc123

calicyclist wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:34 am

Since I've been using the SRM over the past year I have over 12k miles on it and it has been absolutely flawless from day one. Not one moment of dropout. No weird readings. No pairing problems. Battery life is excellent.
You don't need an SRM for this. Literally every person with Faveros will give you this feedback.

I will also give you the same feedback from my experience with Stages.

zappafile123

by zappafile123

Bobbyc123 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:23 pm
calicyclist wrote:

Since I've been using the SRM over the past year I have over 12k miles on it and it has been absolutely flawless from day one. Not one moment of dropout. No weird readings. No pairing problems. Battery life is excellent.
You don't need an SRM for this. Literally every person with Faveros will give you this feedback.

Could say the same thing about Power2max. Over the last 11 years I can count on one hand the number of times I've had significant issues aross multiple bikes and 7 or so different units. That said, the Type-S seems to have been a better PM than the NG Eco that repaced it.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

havana

by havana

Bobbyc123 wrote:
calicyclist wrote:

And Quarq, for that matter.
Editor-in-chief CycloWorld.cc - the largest database of gran fondo's and sportives in the world.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:45 am
calicyclist wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:25 am

To me a power meter is a piece of commodity hardware. At this point I expect a max observed 1.5% discrepancy between $400 power meters on a day-to-day basis and outside of a few bad actors (mostly crank-based PMs) that’s been achieved. In the end it’s up to you if you want to treat a power meter as a piece of jewelry I guess.

Also keep in mind SRM made two of the worst power meters in recent memory, the Exakt pedals and the X-Power pedals.
Exakt pedals I'll agree with..it was the setup process for those that was just stupid... and several times the pedal just loosened up on me..
As for the X Power SPD pedals... Ive been running those on my Diverge gravel bike since they day they released, and running another newer body design on my Crux and have had no issues with either set... Curious as to why you think the are so bad... even the self proclaimed PM expert DCR didnt have much bad to say about them and he has a hate on for SRM...

calicyclist

by calicyclist

Bobbyc123 wrote:
I think anyone who gives money to Stages for anything at this point is a fool. If anything goes wrong with them you are screwed. Mine are a just heavier cranks at this point. Stages support is non-existent.

AJS914

by AJS914

Butcher wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:39 pm
Not really. If you can only make 100 a year, why lower the price? Campagnolo is not a large company and it appears, they do not want to be. It's their business model and I can appreciate that. There comes a time where you get to be too big and things usually go down hill.
This trope by the defenders puzzles me.

When I started road cycling (around 1980), Campagnolo was king. Suntour and Shimano were pracitically nowhere and only showed up on lower end bikes. Shimano came out with SIS index shifting and started to gain market share. Campagnolo was slow to respond with crappy syncro. It was so bad I had to take it off my bike and put the C-Record retrofriction levers on. Campagnolo though still had a large marketshare and mindshare. Then Shimano came out with STi and really started to take off. Now, you can't go into the average bike shop in the US and see Campagnolo anywhere.

Basically, over the course of my whole cycling life Campagnolo has been losing marketshare. It's hard to believe that this was their grand design - 'we don't want to be too big'.

cberg

by cberg

Not gonna comment on whether ot not it's actually a good power meter, but the charging port and cable on the Campag power meter looks A LOT like the ones found on Sigeyi AXO power meters which also has a claimed accuracy on +-1%. Crazy how nature do that

MarcFaFo

by MarcFaFo

calicyclist wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:22 pm
Bobbyc123 wrote:
I think anyone who gives money to Stages for anything at this point is a fool. If anything goes wrong with them you are screwed. Mine are a just heavier cranks at this point. Stages support is non-existent.
Hhmm I have a DA9200 L/R crankset from 2023. Last month I had some strange Power readings and Calibration nrs. Opened a ticket. After two days with regular communication I was asked to ship the PM to their european service center in Germany. It arrived Friday morning. Monday morning (1 day later as they don't work during the weekend :wink: ) I got a mail telling me they have shipped a new PM.
I think that is/was great service.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

RDY wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:40 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:17 pm
It’s telling when someone like Ray hasn’t received a review unit.
Aside from probably wanting to avoid any stringent testing, I don't think 2024 Campag demographic is very closely aligned with DCR, GPL (or PT) demos.
Campagnolo's care-o-meter on what DCR thinks about their products is probably bending backwards past the we don't care end of the scale...

AJS914

by AJS914

The buyer for a $6000 groupset + power meter is going for matching parts on their super bike boutique build. They probably don't even care about the extra accuracy and high sample rate of this power meter.

Isn't the application for a high sample rate power meter typically a track sprinter?
Last edited by AJS914 on Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

calicyclist

by calicyclist

MarcFaFo wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:17 pm
Hhmm I have a DA9200 L/R crankset from 2023. Last month I had some strange Power readings and Calibration nrs. Opened a ticket. After two days with regular communication I was asked to ship the PM to their european service center in Germany. It arrived Friday morning. Monday morning (1 day later as they don't work during the weekend :wink: ) I got a mail telling me they have shipped a new PM.
That indeed sounds like amazing service. I opened a ticket last year around this time. Sent five follow up emails. They still haven't responded. I've posted here as well as on multlple other cycling forums and dozens and dozens of people have reported identical experiences.

Look at their BBB page: https://www.bbb.org/us/wa/vancouver/pro ... 1000079401

Perhaps they've improved since last year. I will never give them another cent though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MarcFaFo

by MarcFaFo

calicyclist wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:53 am
MarcFaFo wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:17 pm
That indeed sounds like amazing service. I opened a ticket last year around this time. Sent five follow up emails. They still haven't responded. I've posted here as well as on multlple other cycling forums and dozens and dozens of people have reported identical experiences.

Look at their BBB page: https://www.bbb.org/us/wa/vancouver/pro ... 1000079401

Perhaps they've improved since last year. I will never give them another cent though.
Yeah that link does not show great advertisement. Maybe here in Europe the service organisation is better equiped and can act "on their own terms". I can understand your feeling of dissapointment and dislike toward Stages. I'd probably would have the same.