New powermeter rumours

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lina

by Lina

It's also podless design which is good news to all the ones that can't stand the pods and might indicate a new road version being somewhere in the horizon.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

usr

by usr

thirdsun wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:32 am
The new Favero Assioma Pro MX: https://cycling.favero.com/en/assiomapromx
Needle roller bearings, they might actually be much longer lasting than the 10x15x4 on Bepro/Assioma. But if they do break, you need to replace the whole pedal body.

[strike]They supply a greasing kit, but instructions seem to be not ready yet (a URL in the manual that for now only redirects to a Google drive folder containing the manual where you started)[/strike]
[edit:]It's in this video: apparently it's a helper to solve the thread/needly thing when reassembling, and improving grease distribution in the process.
Last edited by usr on Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

henau212

by henau212

thirdsun wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:32 am
The new Favero Assioma Pro MX: https://cycling.favero.com/en/assiomapromx
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2024/02/fav ... eview.html
Review out by DC, looks really solid. Especially the price compared to Garmin...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uNTIHOb_0Y
GPLama as well

maquisard

by maquisard

and the review of Ray,

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2024/02/fav ... eview.html

"Ultimately, Favero appears to have a winner on their hands here. The units are solidly accurate, and solidly built, along with easy and reasonably priced replacements of parts should you need it. It now transmits the exact same information at Garmin’s much more expensive Rally XC-200 pedals (also SPD), but without the $1,200 price tag.

About the only real downside is the battery is substantially less than Garmin’s coin-cell units, which get a claimed 120-150 hours (more than double Favero’s). As always though, it tends to be a bit of a personal preference if you want a rechargeable battery or a coin-cell battery for your power meter. There are pros and cons to each."

thirdsun

by thirdsun

More interestingly, might there be another pedal powermeter incoming shortly? Here's a quote from Ray's review:
"I’m going to do another power meter pedal comparison video/post in the very near future. But, I typically don’t like doing these massive incredibly detailed comparison posts/videos only to have them voided a week or two later. As such, I’ll wait a week or two…because."
In any case, the Pro MX seem to be a definite purchase for me. I've been considering the 4iiii Precision 3 for my GRX-equipped Gravel Bike until I learned about the Pro MX rumors. I already own Assiomas on the road and couldn't be happier with them. I always prefer pedal-based powermeters since I can also use them on the next bike regardless of groupsets. The Pro MX are affordable, robust, lightweight and seem to be accurate. What's not to like?
Last edited by thirdsun on Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

maquisard

by maquisard

Are the new Favero pedals actually on sale in any location yet?

toxin

by toxin

Theyre sold out already

thirdsun

by thirdsun

toxin wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:18 pm
Theyre sold out already
They haven't been in stock yet as far as I can tell. They will probably show up at the usual retailers like Bike24, R2 & Co. soon.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

usr

by usr

Found a photo on their blog that actually shows the needle rollers. Open units that run directly on the axle instead of some inner race that would be replaced with the pedal body, but that's not uncommon at all with roller bearings. The loaded lines that make contact with the axle surface are just so much bigger than the loaded points inside a ball bearing that I would not expect wear on the axle surface to ever become a problem within the lifetime of the battery (my Bepros are in their eigth year). Also, within the constraints of a given sack height, a bearing with a dedicated cylinder for the inner race would have to use much smalller rollers, so it's probably a very good tradeoff. If you have ever seen the balls inside the 10x15x5 of Bepro/Assioma inboard you know what I mean...

cleanneon98

by cleanneon98

I'm in my 4th year of Assioma ownership and have not had a need to replace bearings yet. Maybe this will be more of an issue with wet and sloppy MTB riding. I'm not looking to spend those bucks on a PM for my MTB but if I was I would get these over trying to get a Quarq compatible crankset and spider for sure
2024 Madone SLR 9 (Ultegra) - 7.5kg-ish
2021 FUEL EX 9.9 AXS - Thicc

Aeo

by Aeo

Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

usr

by usr

cleanneon98 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:49 pm
I'm in my 4th year of Assioma ownership and have not had a need to replace bearings yet.
It will eventually happen, at least if you are anywhere close to my weight class. Those 10x15x4 aka 6700 aren't really made for the load on a pedal. You might want to stock up on some cheap 67002RS, the rubber seals might help a bit with durability and the added friction is still not really enough to ease pedal entry (more people complain that Assioma spin too much than complain that they don't spin enough) and I doubt the factory kit are some secret sauce model. Just don't pick anything stainless, those have lower rated load that would be even more inadequate. The factory set isn't wildly overpriced either, so I wouldn't consider that a bad buy, but I'd consider it too expensive to stockpile them just in case. Whereas just the tiny 10x15x4, that will go long before the big outboard bearing is done, are cheap enough. And small enough even to bring along on vacation, which I might actually start doing.

cleanneon98

by cleanneon98

I did find they spun "too much" the first few weeks but have long since gotten used to them. I'd probably just buy the factory bearing kit but mine still spin freely and quietly and have no play.
2024 Madone SLR 9 (Ultegra) - 7.5kg-ish
2021 FUEL EX 9.9 AXS - Thicc

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Makes me wish I could have faked an Italian address to get the $400 validation units! These seems to have the same Q-factor as the road swap pedals.

EvilEuro

by EvilEuro

Look has come out with two new powermeters. Well, one, but with interchangable pedal bodies. DC Rainmaker with the quick, not in-depth, review.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2024/03/loo ... ds-on.html

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com