alernative to "carbon paste"

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sebastian_nurmela

by sebastian_nurmela

tried tubular glue today as its really sticky. maybe not as good as paste. time will tell but i think its better then without.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CharlesM

by CharlesM

er,

Godd luck with that.

GrahamB

by GrahamB

The advantage of the carbon "grease" is that it increases friction when clamped but doesn't stick when you want to take things apart...

I hope this isn't on your seat post :shock:
Graham

KingstonWheeler

by KingstonWheeler

I suppose it's better than using carbon paste on your tubs but let us know what you are using it for, you have me worried at least :?

stansman

by stansman

A friend of mine was having trouble with his easton carbon post slipping in his mtb frame. The guy at his lbs put red loctite on it per the recommendation of the easton reps at interbike. Sure as hell never slipped again :D Needed a saw to get it out though...

MaestroXC

by MaestroXC

Tufo tape is way better.
Zealots beware.

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

An inner tube is less hassle.
Google: Results 1 - 20 of about 88,500 English pages for _doping_, _cycling_ and _denies_. (0.33 seconds)

2 wheels

by 2 wheels

stansman wrote:A friend of mine was having trouble with his easton carbon post slipping in his mtb frame. The guy at his lbs put red loctite on it per the recommendation of the easton reps at interbike. Sure as hell never slipped again :D Needed a saw to get it out though...

Good business for the seatpost manufacturers. They will sell more seatposts this way. Maybe that's why he recommended this method.

Finish Line has come out with their own version of the Taxc/Dynamic carbon assembly paste: http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/fiber_grip.htm
I'm not sure if Finish Line has made their own stuff instead of using the regular Taxc/Dynamic red paste which is sold under many different brands like FSA, Kuota, Ritchey etc. etc. These brands all have the same red stuff in the same sachet, syringe or can sizes as Tacx.

http://www.tacx.com/producten.php?fl=tr ... ce%20Tools

Mr. Mer

by Mr. Mer

In my experience there are several different carbon assembly pastes currently doing the rounds...Some obviously sourced from the same manufacturer and re-badged.

Finish Line Fibre Grip is clear and quite gritty (I use this in instances where the fit tolerance between parts is not so good or the most firm clamping of components is required without resorting to excessive torque.)

FSA/Ritchey/a n other Is bright red and whilst gritty in texture slightly less so than the Finish Line I have seen...

Tacx assembly compound is a slightly darker shade of red and the smoothest of the pastes I have used (I prefer to use this where the fit of the parts to be assembled is good)

Effetto Mariposa manufacture an aerosol assembly compound called Carbo Grip which I have in the workshop but have yet to put to the test.

As a note of interest Effetto Mariposa also produce a "safe" releasing agent for carbon parts called Carbo Move which is carefully formulated to avoid adversley affecting the resins used in the manufacture of carbon fibre and is especially useful where seatposts and the like are "stuck"

I hope this of help and urge everyone to avoid using tub glue, loctite etc. all of which potentially harm the parts one assumes you are trying to save from the scrap heap...

Cheers

MM
mmm......shiny

stansman

by stansman

2 wheels wrote:
stansman wrote:A friend of mine was having trouble with his easton carbon post slipping in his mtb frame. The guy at his lbs put red loctite on it per the recommendation of the easton reps at interbike. Sure as hell never slipped again :D Needed a saw to get it out though...

Good business for the seatpost manufacturers. They will sell more seatposts this way. Maybe that's why he recommended this method.

Finish Line has come out with their own version of the Taxc/Dynamic carbon assembly paste: http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/fiber_grip.htm
I'm not sure if Finish Line has made their own stuff instead of using the regular Taxc/Dynamic red paste which is sold under many different brands like FSA, Kuota, Ritchey etc. etc. These brands all have the same red stuff in the same sachet, syringe or can sizes as Tacx.

http://www.tacx.com/producten.php?fl=tr ... ce%20Tools

I have a tube of that stuff. I put it on the seat post I got recently and it seems to work. It's clear, and it seems more coarse than the red stuff.

hockinsk

by hockinsk

Err, tubular glue is about as opposite to carbon paste as you can get?

What exactly are you trying to achieve and with what components?

Gregorio

by Gregorio

Before this carbon paste was around a light coating of plain grease worked fine. (still does for me)

xav

by xav

Toothpaste?

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

xav wrote:Toothpaste?

Toothpaste worked for me (until I got some tacx paste) AND, my bike just had that minty fresh feeling all the time (which is probably a good thing considering my sweaty butt was in close proximity). :roll:

Tristan

by Tristan

Gregorio wrote:Before this carbon paste was around a light coating of plain grease worked fine. (still does for me)

Back before carbon paste I used to use hairspray, especially on slipping seatposts. It works well but does seem to wash away (rinse clean? :lol:) after a lot of water contact.

I've been using the Tacx carbon paste for quite some time now and it resists water much better than hairspray. I've also used it on aluminum bar / stem interfaces where the stem calls for low torque (like Ritchey 4-Axis)

A small tube costs a hulluva lot of money but you don't need very much so it lasts well. Worth the cost I think :thumbup:
Last edited by Tristan on Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wheelworks.co.nz
New Zealand handbuilt wheels

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com