alernative to "carbon paste"

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mr. Mer

by Mr. Mer

Why do some people on here put up such resistance to products that provide the best solutions just to save a Few bucks, Euros,Pounds,whatever?

Greasing surfaces that are the last place you want movement or spraying unknown solvents onto expensive parts is beyond me :roll:

It's quite a strange attitude really, especially when you consider the average spend on kit by visitors to this forum...

MM
mmm......shiny

WannaBeSTi

by WannaBeSTi

At my shop, we have been using the Tacx stuff since we could get our nasty mitts on it. On some (very few) occations we have had customers complaining about a creaking noise coming from the seatpost. We clean the post and the noise vanishes.

Jut keep it in the back of your mind.
You can't have manslaughter without laughter.
This board would be a nicer place if everyone would take themselves a little less seriously.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CoachPotatoBilly

by CoachPotatoBilly

Mr. Mer wrote:Why do some people on here put up such resistance to products that provide the best solutions just to save a Few bucks, Euros,Pounds,whatever?

Greasing surfaces that are the last place you want movement or spraying unknown solvents onto expensive parts is beyond me :roll:

It's quite a strange attitude really, especially when you consider the average spend on kit by visitors to this forum...

MM

***** I think a lot of times people just want to save a few dollars - sometimes it works, sometimes it comes back to bite them in the ass. The owner of my local bicycle shop, an admittedly very patient man, showed me the results of a customer who didn't want to pay $60 to have his bicycle (which he bought mail order to save money no less...) assembled by the mechanic. This person was such an incredible meathead that he stripped the front derailleur pinchbolt, stripped TWO of the four bolts on a nice Ritchey 4 axis stem along with clearly deforming the face plate and damaging the carbon bar it was supposed to hold, AND he damaged beyond repair the aluminum drive side cup on a pair of cranks by trying to install it on the non-drive side of the frame *repeatedly*....

He even had the gall to try and see if the shop owner would send the damaged parts back (which the shop owner didn't even order or sell in the first place...) as warranty/defective merchandise... I was just speechless...

I may have been speechless, but a guy I was riding with in a group ride was *walking* after being too cheap to buy $2 cloth rim tape and using electrical tape instead, on the hottest day of the year... We were about 30 miles from home when he flatted multiple times until we figured out the problem... He called his wife who probably burned significantly more than $2 worth of gas to pick him up.... He was riding newish Zipp wheels with the fancy dimples people on this website seem to be so fond of, but he was too flipping cheap to use proper rim tape...

Billy

Singletrackmind

by Singletrackmind

Yeah, I agree, the Tacx Dynamic Paste is good stuff. Well worth the investment and a tub of it will probably last the average person a lifetime.
Last edited by Singletrackmind on Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

shabbasuraj
Shop Owner

by shabbasuraj

sebastian_nurmela wrote:tried tubular glue today as its really sticky. maybe not as good as paste. time will tell but i think its better then without.

this is why I run Al parts. Just as light BUT STRONGER>

/end of thread.

toothpaste.????????? baaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwhahahhaahhahahaaaaaa

why not just use a fist full of sand.,??????????? mass Weenies are awesome.
Mass Weenie

theremery

by theremery

Shaba....yet again...you astound me.
Toothpaste was definately the go in "the old days" ....we used to mix toothpaste and grease together (it worked...but toothpaste is alkaline so was always a worry for corrosion of Anodised parts...hence the grease).
Nowdays I use the ritchey product...seems OK.
Sebastien Nurmela....I'd be removing the item you've used used that tub glue on asap while/if you can...if you have no carbon build paste, use toothpaste temporarily....but invest in a tub of build paste.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

Gregorio

by Gregorio

Be careful with a post seizing if using hairspary, and plain grease will keep that from happening too.
I think Craig Calfee wrote an article about using grease on carbon seatposts some years back.
He may have also switched to the Taxc carbon paste now though.

theremery

by theremery

Hairspray is really good for MTB grips (bar to foam grip in particular is a good thing!)
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

chrism

by chrism

theremery wrote:Hairspray is really good for MTB grips (bar to foam grip in particular is a good thing!)

Until it rains, at which point the hairspray dissolves and your grips come unstuck.
No scales on the trails

shabbasuraj
Shop Owner

by shabbasuraj

chrism wrote:
theremery wrote:Hairspray is really good for MTB grips (bar to foam grip in particular is a good thing!)

Until it rains, at which point the hairspray dissolves and your grips come unstuck.

+1 the same goes for toothpaste..

when wet.. i guess it will make your white parts even whiter.. nothing like a foaming handlebar... at least it would smell nice?.. heck you might as well have some toothpaste on your bike considering the fall that you may have onto the road... which might result in some dental work..

...bottomline.. if you are a mass weenie.. then do not pay hundreds of euros for nice parts only to go cheap on the things that you need to install them correctly.

no?
Mass Weenie

CharlesM

by CharlesM

yep...

Same goes for folks that will spend mass cash on parts but can't drop coin on a reasonable torque wrench... but will then piss and moan about "durability" when their part breaks at the place where it was clamped (beyond spec).

There is not a better current solution than several of the carbon pastes (and spray) available...

shabbasuraj
Shop Owner

by shabbasuraj

for the record.. I use the paste and one tube will last a lifetime of installations.. OK maybe not a lifetime. but a lot.
Mass Weenie

CoachPotatoBilly

by CoachPotatoBilly

shabbasuraj wrote:for the record.. I use the paste and one tube will last a lifetime of installations.. OK maybe not a lifetime. but a lot.

****Well, a tube of that paste will probably last a lot longer than the lifetime of the guys over-torquing bolts to keep things from slipping because they are too cheap to get the paste.... or a torque wrench..

Billy

shabbasuraj
Shop Owner

by shabbasuraj

CoachPotatoBilly wrote:
****Well, a tube of that paste will probably last a lot longer than the lifetime of the guys over-torquing bolts to keep things from slipping because they are too cheap to get the paste.... or a torque wrench..

Billy

WINNNNNNNAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRR
Mass Weenie

sebastian_nurmela

by sebastian_nurmela

i guess it wasent such a good idea then ^_^ i havent tried it yet but i stick to carbon grease (have to buy some more) and get a proper tourqe tool too, been on my wish list a while but theres seems always to be other things that come first.
By the way with my tune gumgum, carbon paste on my ITM millenium stem, and probably to much torqe, the stem slips so the headset gets loose quite fast, idea how to make the stem not to slip ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com