plastic glue what kind?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

popawheelie

by popawheelie

I want to glue some strips of plastic to my clear waterbottles. The strips are made out of the same stuff cut off another bottle. I'll post pics when I'm done and I've tested them. Does anyone know which glue to use for watterbottle plastic?

Smahatma

by Smahatma

JB Weld

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cadence90

by cadence90

Zap-a-Gap and spray "kicker". It might be made by Weld-On, I don't recall. Available at any plastics supply. Makes an invisible joint.
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

popawheelie

by popawheelie

I contacted a few people and a double sided tape seems like the way to go. Still don't have it, we'll see?

Weisse Luft

by Weisse Luft

Another vote for double sided tape as it is simple and effective.

The bottles are made of polyethylene, a ploymer with very low "surface energy" and thusly, most adhesives will not have high bond strength.

The other factor that makes epoxies and cyanoacrylates unsuitable is bond flexibility. Even polyurethanes have poor strength.

Now one suggestion would be to prep the surfaces with 400 grit SiC wet or dry sandpaper (autobody prep abrasive), clean with alcohol and glue with thinned "Goop" (tm)or "Shoe Goo"(tm). Thin with xylene, available at paint stores.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

popawheelie

by popawheelie

I contacted 3M and they were great. The rep rcomended a double sided tape and e-mail me a list of suppliers in my area. I found one that has it in stock so I'm ready to go as soon as I get off my rear and go get it.
I'm going to change the waterbottle that goes in my new BTP carbon cage.
They get wedged in tight and I think this will fix it. I'll post it when I'm done. Thanks for the help!