Replacing an SRM battery... at home :o)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MichaelK

by MichaelK

Standard 130BCD PM6 is also only a single EF651625, soldered to the PCB.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

uraz

by uraz

So it looks like PM6 has 1 battery and PM7 has 2 batteries regardless of BCD (cannondale hollowgram version).

sqber

by sqber

sqber wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:19 am
The instructions I have seen all show how you must use soldering iron to first remove the wire from the old battery, cut the terminals of new battery and then solder the wires to the new battery. The battery I found today, already has a wire attached, but my question is - is the plug attached to this battery compatible with the female part on SRM power meter? If so, it is purely the matter of swapping, no soldering or cutting anything. Seems sweet.
Answer - NO, the attached wires don't fit the connection inside PM7. So I had to remove the attached wires from new and old batteries and soldered the wires from the old battery to the new battery.

markc

by markc

Howdy gang,

Following up on the connector discussion upthread for the next DIY'er who google searches. Here are the micro JST connectors with leads to use in SRM battery changes. Sourced these from Amazon (USA):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DU ... UTF8&psc=1

Thanks to the folks upthread for the pointer to the micro JST connectors.

Also, my SiSl spider is a PM7 compact and has dual batteries. The expected rectangular LTC-7PN-S4 units.

--Mark

Erwin

by Erwin

Does someone know how to open a PM7 Origin spider? Here are some pictures. I have changed the batteries from a 9000 series, but here I don't know which part is the lid to open. Thank you all.
I think the bottom cover with the SRM label "SRM PM7" should be removable. But no real gap where I could lever with a tool or something.

Image Image

Bottom lid should be correct. Here a picture from a PM9, the aluminium remains the same. Nevertheless actually I don't know how to remove the cover.

mortirolo

by mortirolo

Erwin wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:31 pm
Does someone know how to open a PM7 Origin spider? Here are some pictures. I have changed the batteries from a 9000 series, but here I don't know which part is the lid to open. Thank you all.
I think the bottom cover with the SRM label "SRM PM7" should be removable. But no real gap where I could lever with a tool or something.

Image Image

Bottom lid should be correct. Here a picture from a PM9, the aluminium remains the same. Nevertheless actually I don't know how to remove the cover.
+1
Marco Pantani - Momenti Di Gloria
AX Vial (SR11) <- FELT FC (Record 10) <- LOOK KX (Dura-Ace) <- Specialized EPIC (Superbe Pro)

mortirolo

by mortirolo

The plastic cover was hardly glued. It's not too safety I guess.

Marco Pantani - Momenti Di Gloria
AX Vial (SR11) <- FELT FC (Record 10) <- LOOK KX (Dura-Ace) <- Specialized EPIC (Superbe Pro)

ms6073

by ms6073

mortirolo wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:24 pm
The plastic cover was hardly glued. It's not too safety I guess.

The covers on most SRM powermeters are usually of the press-fit variety as I did not think they would evey be glued!
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

pagnini

by pagnini

Erwin wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:31 pm

Image Image

The back cover of the latest SRM PM7 or PM9 is not mounted on the body using screws and sealing ring like the older ones. It is glued using sealant. I have successfully removed it using some hot melt glue and a screw driver. Clean the surface of the cover near on one side carefully first, then heat one side of a hot melt glue and press it on the surface which has been cleaned. After the glue stick is hardened, try to pull the it and you can find the cover can be moved. If the pulling force is not large enough such that the glue stick is stripped off, you can try to use two sticks or change a bigger one. You can use the screw if the gap is big enough. Once if the battery is changed, you need to clean the residual of sealant and use new sealant to glue the cover again.
I have posted one picture of my PM7 back cover and you can see some residual of the hot melt glue clearly. Good luck:)
Attachments
微信图片_20240111205611.jpg

greedy

by greedy

Hello. Water got into my SRM. Almost everything has been restored, but some elements have rotted and there is no way to set their nominal value. Maybe someone can measure the resistance of the resistors R14, R17, R28? Thank you in advance!
Attachments
63dc3aea-7a66-4364-a1f3-460a98f56c57.jpg
716cb770-6c43-440f-a218-a17f449dc164.jpg
79661aef-c37f-41ed-af94-62249dfc2109.jpg
76ed3b58-d56e-494b-9279-ea7661377aeb.jpg
2fcb5be5-7a53-40f6-9c90-bf602054efe8.jpg
416b6350-c089-4ff9-b4c8-62ff8a02b4ee.jpg