Compromise with bikes in stock or wait for the dream bike?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Streetfield

by Streetfield

Cervelo Soloist, Wilier Filante and Merida Scultura are the bikes in stock here at my LBS, but Merida is significantly cheaper.
Performance-wise, tour aero test says the Merida one is 221W@45km/h, and actual weight is 909g/407g for frame/fork.
It is quite close to Cervelo Soloist, but less aero than Wilier Filante.

My dream bike is SuperSix Hi-Mod Gen4, because I like the series and its performance looks very good.
My LBS said it was highly possible to be 12/2024~03/2025 if they could successfully order one.
It means I will have no bike to ride until then, because my last bike (SuperSix Gen3) cracked.
So, what will you do if you are in my shoes?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

toxin

by toxin

id get the cheapest one, order a supersix frame and swap the parts to it when it arrives and sell the old frame

bobones

by bobones

Where are you?

These guys in the south of Enland have SS Evo 4 HM 2 in a particularly lovely red colour with 20% off. You shouldn't feel you have to buy from your LBS if they don't have what you want.

https://www.primera-sports.com/bikes/ro ... -red__5030

If that doesn't work, I would try to borrow or buy something cheap second hand or from the likes of Decathlon that you can use as a rain bike or trainer bike that will tide you over until you can get the dream bike you really want.

Streetfield

by Streetfield

bobones wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:06 am
Where are you?

These guys in the south of Enland have SS Evo 4 HM 2 in a particularly lovely red colour with 20% off. You shouldn't feel you have to buy from your LBS if they don't have what you want.

https://www.primera-sports.com/bikes/ro ... -red__5030

If that doesn't work, I would try to borrow or buy something cheap second hand or from the likes of Decathlon that you can use as a rain bike or trainer bike that will tide you over until you can get the dream bike you really want.
Far away in Japan.
I only need a frameset as most of other components are intact, but SuperSix Hi-Mod frameset is not available everywhere now...
Thanks for sharing. I guess I will have to take a cheap bike as you suggested.

bobones

by bobones

Streetfield wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:24 am
Far away in Japan.
I only need a frameset as most of other components are intact, but SuperSix Hi-Mod frameset is not available everywhere now...
Ah, fair enough. Most of the frameset only paintjobs don't do it for me. There's been a yellow 2023 frameset available here for the past few months with 20% off that i have been tempted to buy. If it looked like the red one above, I would probably have bought it by now.

Streetfield

by Streetfield

bobones wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:47 am
Streetfield wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:24 am
Far away in Japan.
Ah, fair enough. Most of the frameset only paintjobs don't do it for me. There's been a yellow 2023 frameset available here for the past few months with 20% off that i have been tempted to buy. If it looked like the red one above, I would probably have bought it by now.
Don't know what's the situation in England.
But here in Japan, I was told that all 2024 SuperSix Hi-Mod framesets were reserved very early this year (and in the winter of 2023), so I would never have the chance to see a discounted one.
I have to ask my LBS to keep me informed when the 2025 ones come out.
On the other hand, S-Works Tarmac SL8s are flooded.
Interesting thing is LAB71 being even 10% more pricey than a SL8, but they were still reserved immediately anyway.
It drives me to consider EF's used bikes which should be out at the end of the season.
My size is 48 and EF team has many small riders, so hopefully I could finally ride one.
Last edited by Streetfield on Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Streetfield

by Streetfield

Mistakenly posted...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Greeners

by Greeners

Wilier Filante would win my vote over the Super Six & Merida all day long.