Odd crank issue, help!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nickldn
Posts: 2011
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:35 am

by Nickldn

repoman wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2024 2:10 pm
mikemelbrooks wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:57 pm
Ok on a gxp crankset when you tighten the crank it clamps to the non drive side bearing. If you place a spacer on the drive side or the distance between the bearings is too long, the cranks will not spin. You either need to make sure that the bottom bracket bearings are the right width apart or that nobody has fitted spacer on the drive side of the cranks.
How would placing spacers on there change the distance between the bearings? :shock:
SRAM literally sells GXP specific spacers...
GXP crank needs a wavy washer in DS for press fit BB to ensure bearings are preloaded. Torque should be 48-54nm. If your cranks don't spin at the torque it means you have too many spacers installed.

ff119
Posts: 117
Joined: Sat May 08, 2021 9:49 pm

by ff119

Nickldn wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2024 4:06 pm
repoman wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2024 2:10 pm
mikemelbrooks wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:57 pm
Ok on a gxp crankset when you tighten the crank it clamps to the non drive side bearing. If you place a spacer on the drive side or the distance between the bearings is too long, the cranks will not spin. You either need to make sure that the bottom bracket bearings are the right width apart or that nobody has fitted spacer on the drive side of the cranks.
How would placing spacers on there change the distance between the bearings? :shock:
SRAM literally sells GXP specific spacers...
GXP crank needs a wavy washer in DS for press fit BB to ensure bearings are preloaded. Torque should be 48-54nm. If your cranks don't spin at the torque it means you have too many spacers installed.
Right now there isn't any spacers, just the wavy washer, it all worked before so not sure how it can suddenly "not fit"

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



Nickldn
Posts: 2011
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:35 am

by Nickldn

ff119 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:42 pm
Nickldn wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2024 4:06 pm
repoman wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2024 2:10 pm
mikemelbrooks wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:57 pm
Ok on a gxp crankset when you tighten the crank it clamps to the non drive side bearing. If you place a spacer on the drive side or the distance between the bearings is too long, the cranks will not spin. You either need to make sure that the bottom bracket bearings are the right width apart or that nobody has fitted spacer on the drive side of the cranks.
How would placing spacers on there change the distance between the bearings? :shock:
SRAM literally sells GXP specific spacers...
GXP crank needs a wavy washer in DS for press fit BB to ensure bearings are preloaded. Torque should be 48-54nm. If your cranks don't spin at the torque it means you have too many spacers installed.
Right now there isn't any spacers, just the wavy washer, it all worked before so not sure how it can suddenly "not fit"
Ok I'm confused now. You have a standard Aspero with a standard T47a BB, with no spacers save the wavy washer in the drive side, your crank was working until recently and nothing has changed, but now if the GXP crank is tightened to more than 25nm then it doesn't spin.

Something doesn't sound right, unless the BB bearings are so far gone they are actually seized.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

S-Works SL8 Dune White SRAM Red AXS Craft CS5060 wheels Roval Rapide bars 6.6kg

ff119
Posts: 117
Joined: Sat May 08, 2021 9:49 pm

by ff119

Nickldn wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:55 pm
ff119 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:42 pm
Nickldn wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2024 4:06 pm
repoman wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2024 2:10 pm


How would placing spacers on there change the distance between the bearings? :shock:
SRAM literally sells GXP specific spacers...
GXP crank needs a wavy washer in DS for press fit BB to ensure bearings are preloaded. Torque should be 48-54nm. If your cranks don't spin at the torque it means you have too many spacers installed.
Right now there isn't any spacers, just the wavy washer, it all worked before so not sure how it can suddenly "not fit"
Ok I'm confused now. You have a standard Aspero with a standard T47a BB, with no spacers save the wavy washer in the drive side, your crank was working until recently and nothing has changed, but now if the GXP crank is tightened to more than 25nm then it doesn't spin.

Something doesn't sound right, unless the BB bearings are so far gone they are actually seized.
See why I'm confused?

When the drivetrain was replaced in Feb the mechanic took a while to put it back on, then every time in the shop he checked it, i had NO idea why and the shop won't say (was in Germany and this one didn't speak any english)

So I don't know what is going on now.

The crank is too close to the frame the last shop said it needs a spacer, but he didn't have time till Monday.

I'm frustrated and told it's unsafe, which I can't imagine .

I didn't ask on here because it was simple :lol:

Nickldn
Posts: 2011
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:35 am

by Nickldn

ff119 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:16 pm
Nickldn wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:55 pm
ff119 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:42 pm
Nickldn wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2024 4:06 pm


GXP crank needs a wavy washer in DS for press fit BB to ensure bearings are preloaded. Torque should be 48-54nm. If your cranks don't spin at the torque it means you have too many spacers installed.
Right now there isn't any spacers, just the wavy washer, it all worked before so not sure how it can suddenly "not fit"
Ok I'm confused now. You have a standard Aspero with a standard T47a BB, with no spacers save the wavy washer in the drive side, your crank was working until recently and nothing has changed, but now if the GXP crank is tightened to more than 25nm then it doesn't spin.

Something doesn't sound right, unless the BB bearings are so far gone they are actually seized.
See why I'm confused?

I didn't ask on here because it was simple :lol:
Absolutely, but it's hard to expect any insightful answers on an internet forum without the benefit of seeing the bike.

Which is why you need to do more due diligence like checking if the BB bearings are seized and letting us know, so we can move to the next step.

ff119
Posts: 117
Joined: Sat May 08, 2021 9:49 pm

by ff119

Nickldn wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:23 pm
ff119 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:16 pm
Nickldn wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:55 pm
ff119 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:42 pm


Right now there isn't any spacers, just the wavy washer, it all worked before so not sure how it can suddenly "not fit"
Ok I'm confused now. You have a standard Aspero with a standard T47a BB, with no spacers save the wavy washer in the drive side, your crank was working until recently and nothing has changed, but now if the GXP crank is tightened to more than 25nm then it doesn't spin.

Something doesn't sound right, unless the BB bearings are so far gone they are actually seized.
See why I'm confused?

I didn't ask on here because it was simple :lol:
Absolutely, but it's hard to expect any insightful answers on an internet forum without the benefit of seeing the bike.

Which is why you need to do more due diligence like checking if the BB bearings are seized and letting us know, so we can move to the next step.

I was told they were ok, I don't want to take it apart without having the proper torque to even half do it back up, I go to the shop Monday

mikemelbrooks
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:58 pm

by mikemelbrooks

repoman wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2024 2:10 pm
mikemelbrooks wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:57 pm
Ok on a gxp crankset when you tighten the crank it clamps to the non drive side bearing. If you place a spacer on the drive side or the distance between the bearings is too long, the cranks will not spin. You either need to make sure that the bottom bracket bearings are the right width apart or that nobody has fitted spacer on the drive side of the cranks.
How would placing spacers on there change the distance between the bearings? :shock:
SRAM literally sells GXP specific spacers...
https://wheelsmfg.com/gxp-crank-spindle-spacers-seals
"GXP Compatible Crank Spindles

SRAM GXP spindles are unique in that the spindle diameter steps from 24mm to 22mm on the end of the crank spindle. The non-drive side (NDS) bearing has a 22mm ID. When the crank is installed into the bottom bracket, the splined end of the spindle will protrude beyond the bearing about 15mm. Before the left crank arm is installed, the GXP dust seal must be placed up against the bearing. Do not add any spindle spacers and/or wave washer between the NDS bearing and the left crank arm!

GXP Seal
Non-Drive Side - 22mm ID dust seal.

Side with lettering in the black silicone will face the bearing.



For GXP cranks (22mm/24mm), the spindle spacers and/or wave washer will always be positioned between the drive side seal and the crank arm. In most installs, there will be a gap between the right crank arm and the drive side seal. This gap on the crank must be filled up with spindle spacers and/or a wave washer. If adding the wave washer, it should be almost flat once the left crank arm is attached.

GXP Seal
Drive Side - 24mm ID dust seal.

Add spacers and/or wave washer as needed to fill up free space on spindle when left crank arm is attached."
If you add too many or too thick spacer or the wave washer flattens out completely you will have too much preload on the bearing and the cranks will lock up. Exactly what the OP was stating.

Nickldn
Posts: 2011
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:35 am

by Nickldn

mikemelbrooks wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2024 8:32 am
If you add too many or too thick spacer or the wave washer flattens out completely you will have too much preload on the bearing and the cranks will lock up. Exactly what the OP was stating.
Agreed. There is a fundamental issue the OP needs to find and address. It should be fairly obvious once the crank is disassembled.

A bike shop should do this and let him know the remedy, but unfortunately not all bike shops are up to this. But a good starting point is to go to the shop and ask the right questions. Hopefully this thread helps a bit with that.

Post Reply