New Garmin Edge 1050, X50 etc.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

This is not a bug but it bugs me the most. Why can't Garmin have a auto-lap triggered by the start of a live segment? Currently there are all sorts of other options for an auto-lap trigger. When I doing a live segment I want to know the elapsed time and the avg. power. I have to manually press the lap button at the start of the segment and sometimes I forget to do it. It's super annoying.

hoyhoy

by hoyhoy

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:34 am
This is not a bug but it bugs me the most. Why can't Garmin have a auto-lap triggered by the start of a live segment?

YES! Or, how about Segment Power as a data field? I think I asked Garmin about that in the Edge 1000 days.

What's also going to be really hilarious/sad/hilarious is if the Edge 1050 has a high-res screen and no QWERTY keyboard.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

usr

by usr

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2024 11:55 pm
This worked for me on my last navigated ride. Of course you have to have the segment starred before creating the route. You could verify that the segments are embedded by pulling up the route on your head unit, select maps, and see if the start/end points show up on the map (purple flags). AFAIK the issue is not solely on Garmin but rather something to do with Strava as well. The two of them was supposed to work out a permanent and reliable solution.
Navigation loaded from Strava, or navigation loaded from a third party? That's the thing, Garmin got a stopgap solution with help from Strava that isn't really good enough for a large part of their users and now they seem content with having the "can do live segments during navigation" box checked, terribly.

Curious George

by Curious George

I was looking at the videos on YouTube from Unbound to see if I could spot it, as this is where Garmin launched the 1040 last time.
I didn't see anything, and none of the creators pointed anything out.

tfk

by tfk

hoyhoy wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:54 am
pdlpsher1 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:34 am
This is not a bug but it bugs me the most. Why can't Garmin have a auto-lap triggered by the start of a live segment?

YES! Or, how about Segment Power as a data field? I think I asked Garmin about that in the Edge 1000 days.

What's also going to be really hilarious/sad/hilarious is if the Edge 1050 has a high-res screen and no QWERTY keyboard.
the xert app (CIQ) can give segment power and target segment power needed for a PB or KOM (IIRC)

1050 will have Groupride competitive features by the looks of it. see the power of your ride buddies in near real-time, see who climbed that hill the fastest...that kind of thing. Release date seems to be next Tuesday 25,

Stueys

by Stueys

I love the battery life of my 1040, this has zero appeal. Feel for Garmin though, I honestly can't think how the hardware of the 1040 could be improved

jlok

by jlok

Stueys wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:31 pm
I love the battery life of my 1040, this has zero appeal. Feel for Garmin though, I honestly can't think how the hardware of the 1040 could be improved
Yea, it's mature. but I want...

1. Better CPU efficiency / faster CPU at the same power consumption. Sometimes the demand of displaying the OSM may overwhelm the CPU.
2. Higher resolution and higher contrast transflective screen pls (up to the 540/840 level).
3. Buttons on the side pls... handlebar may be a bit interfering with the bottom buttons.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Curious George

by Curious George

Well, it turns out to be as underwhelming as predicted.
None of the claimed updates, except for the screen changes, could not have been pushed out via firmware upgrades.

It looks as though Garmin has lost a whole generation to their competitors.

https://bikerumor.com/garmin-edge-1050- ... -computer/

scapewalker

by scapewalker

How long does it usally take them to release the 550/850 when after the flagship model has been released?

ghdana

by ghdana

When the 1040 came out I said "Eh, my 830 is not that far behind, I will hold on to it until the next generation is out", but now that the new generation is out I'm thinking "Eh, my 830 is not that far behind, I will hold on to it until the next generation is out". We hit that point with phones where we don't need the new iPhone every year and the same thing has happened with bike computers fortunatly.

Also who even cares about Garmin Pay? I've had it on my watch for like 4 years and never used it. Like especially cycling I always have my phone on me.
7.7kg Allez Sprint
9kg Exploro Ultra

k33z

by k33z

It is now up to Wahoo to come out with a new computer that blows Garmin and Hammerhead out of the water. Should be quite easy to do :)

usr

by usr

Stueys wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:31 pm
Add buttons and make the device much lighter. The 1040 is absurdly heavy for the tiny battery it contains (half way between bolt and roam). I'd happily sacrifice some runtime for an even smaller battery, if runtime would end up roughly in the middle between 1040 and (claimed) 1050, or between 1040 and 1030+. Or they could revisit their battery pack idea for going all in on tiny internal battery, only this time stacked between device and holder, instead of beneath holder. Because nobody uses the mount provided by Garmin, in the age of integrated cockpits and aerobars that's not even an option for most. That way they might even get sponsored pros to pick the flagship device, instead of awkwardly seeing them make do with "entry level".

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

ghdana wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2024 1:05 pm
When the 1040 came out I said "Eh, my 830 is not that far behind, I will hold on to it until the next generation is out", but now that the new generation is out I'm thinking "Eh, my 830 is not that far behind, I will hold on to it until the next generation is out". We hit that point with phones where we don't need the new iPhone every year and the same thing has happened with bike computers fortunatly.

Also who even cares about Garmin Pay? I've had it on my watch for like 4 years and never used it. Like especially cycling I always have my phone on me.

Considering a ton of people are still on 510s and that bike computers have always been on 3-year cycles, the phone comparison is weird. Maybe you upgraded every time a new computer came out, but most people didn’t. I had to upgrade to the 840 when my 830’s start/stop button got stuck in the pressed position recently, resulting it it booting to the diag/test mode. The x40 series is actually fantastic…the killer feature is the battery life. The 1050’s battery life is the really upsetting part, but it’s still going to last longer than any other computer on the market (besides the Dura.)

BernieMoves

by BernieMoves

I don't own an Edge yet... I'm on the fence between the 1040 (which will hopefully drop in price) and the 1050. Usually when getting a new gadget I tend to buy the latest iteration.

I like the new display and don't need super long battery life (none of my rides lasts more than a day).

Opinions, anyone?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

Curious George wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2024 12:24 pm

It looks as though Garmin has lost a whole generation to their competitors.
I mean, the new Karoo was pretty lackluster. Even compared to the now "old" 1040 it was severely lacking in many areas. The Coros Dura looks horrendous based on the few real reviews and not paid shill advertisements. Wahoo is the only one that could put out something special but I've been pretty underwhelmed by just about all of the recent Wahoo computers. It's not like any other brand is putting out anything better.