Help me choose the right components please

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

naavt

by naavt

I'm thinking to convert my travel bike to DB (mechanical) on the front end, and for that I have to determine the fork I'll buy.

I'm not looking in a perfect fit in the headtube section. I'm much more interested in a somewhat aero fork option that fits my frame (Yoeleo R11 rim with direct mount brakes) - even taken the risk of looking weird with a big for on a climbing frame (Storck Aerfast comes to mind) - and how I will route the brake cable.

For routing, I would prefer internal but assume that my headtube and the twists inside such an option will lead to issues on cable pull (what do you guys think?)

Probably the easiest option is external routing, or a fork with entrance for the disc brake cable on top.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

naavt

by naavt

So... Answering my own question I'm feeling that guiding cables internally in a 1-1/8 to 1-1/2 headtube is a no go for what it seems.

Yoeleo just replied to my email and their disc brake R11 fork will fit my R11 rim brake frame (even if they don't advise it "due to safety reasons")

I'm thinking on going to a Wheeltop EDS TX Wireless Electronic Rim Brake groupset and ditch gear cables all together, routing the rim rear brake as usuals.

So for now I'm only stuck on how to neatly route the front mechanical disc brake housing/cable. Any suggestions?

jih

by jih

If you're using cable disc brakes, internal routing won't work well. Hydraulics aren't sensitive to tight bends, but cables for sure are.

jih

by jih

Are you going to go for a set up that is hydraulic to the front brake, and cable pull to the rear? That could work but the shifters won't match.

I've done disc front/v-brake rear setups where everything is cable pull and externally routed. Works fine. Personally I wouldn't mix cable and hydraulic on the same bike.

naavt

by naavt

jih wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 12:40 pm
Are you going to go for a set up that is hydraulic to the front brake, and cable pull to the rear? That could work but the shifters won't match.
No. Mechanical disc brake at the front end. I'm considering on asking for a professional opinion on drilling the fork at the top bend (SL6 comes to mind) just to route the cable inside the fork without the need for cable ties.

jih

by jih

For mechanical, I'd give up on internal routing. Run the cable down the outside of the fork. You could do internal from the shifter so far as the hole under the handlebar if there is one.

The braking performance won't be good if you try to run a mechanical brake cable internally through the stem. It won't be better than rim brakes, and probably worse.

There's a reason why internal routing didn't really take off until we got hydraulics.

naavt

by naavt

jih wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 2:23 pm
For mechanical, I'd give up on internal routing. Run the cable down the outside of the fork. You could do internal from the shifter so far as the hole under the handlebar if there is one.

The braking performance won't be good if you try to run a mechanical brake cable internally through the stem. It won't be better than rim brakes, and probably worse.

There's a reason why internal routing didn't really take off until we got hydraulics.
Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com