New Wilier “Verticale” lightweight bike. Aethos competitor?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Yoln

by Yoln

Looks like new "Verticale" Wilier bike will be pretty different from the current Zero SLR, having ditched a bunch of "aero" features, especially with the seatstays. Very round tubes. If they managed to shave 100g or so from the Zero and be sub 700g for the frame, that would start to be in Aethos territory, with fully internal cables and what looks like a pretty big tyre clearance (even though pictures are with 25s).

Release date June-25th

https://road.cc/content/tech-news/wilie ... ike-308613
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jz91

by Jz91

Yoln

by Yoln

I think that the market for non aero, sub uci weight is much bigger than you think. Judging by the massive success of the Aethos where I live (where aero doesn't matter much: high altitude thin air, zero flat sections, only speedy sections are downhill where I don't care for a couple extra kph), it makes sense to go for a share of it. Personally considering a roadie-crux or an Aethos build at the moment, I'll wait for the launch of this wilier before taking my decision.

alanyu

by alanyu

Yoln wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 8:58 pm
I think that the market for non aero, sub uci weight is much bigger than you think. Judging by the massive success of the Aethos where I live (where aero doesn't matter much: high altitude thin air, zero flat sections, only speedy sections are downhill where I don't care for a couple extra kph), it makes sense to go for a share of it. Personally considering a roadie-crux or an Aethos build at the moment, I'll wait for the launch of this wilier before taking my decision.
But the truth according to Specialized is: Aethos sells bad in most countries and gets much more discounts than other models, including SL7/8 and Roubaix.

Maddie

by Maddie

Switzerland is supposed to be the ideal playground for bikes likes Aethos. But as Alanyu mentioned, compared to SL7 and SL8 you see them a lot less here.

RDY

by RDY

After the initial sales rush they've all but disappeared in most markets. Hence all the rumors of them being discontinued even before the light weight SL8 appeared.

Philbar72

by Philbar72

Maddie wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2024 8:49 am
Switzerland is supposed to be the ideal playground for bikes likes Aethos. But as Alanyu mentioned, compared to SL7 and SL8 you see them a lot less here.
popular in the uk but seemingly the aethos has a lot of hamfisted users that break the frames. i know of 3.... out of 5 that have owned them.

RDY

by RDY

Philbar72 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:36 am
Maddie wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2024 8:49 am
popular in the uk but seemingly the aethos has a lot of hamfisted users that break the frames. i know of 3.... out of 5 that have owned them.
It's a super light noodly frame ... expected result.

cheapvega

by cheapvega

It makes me sad that road bikes seem to be coalescing around the "one bike to rule them all" model. From a business POV I get it and I feel like gravel has taken up a lot of the endurance market. But I don't care about UCI regs or whatever. I'd love to see frames designed more for the road than getting 0.1 more W at 45kph within UCI boundaries.

Yoln

by Yoln

The wider clearance all-road type of bikes is not necessarily "one bike to rule them all" for everyone. I feel like in some parts of the world, having a road bike that is light-gravel capable makes a huge difference. And in some other places it makes zero difference at all.

In the US specifically it is a massive plus (New-England, Colo/Utah and Northern Cali at least). If I can add 30% of smooth packed-dirt and fire-road to my road route, it generally makes a massive difference and helps connecting sections much better. As a result, I always like to have 32s/35s with good puncture protection.

If I travel to Italy (especially Tuscany) or Slovenia, the same reasoning applies. But if I go to France (Pyrenees, Alps and even Massif Central) I see very little added value for having an all road. Just because every single little road and connection is always paved, which is not the case in say Slovenia. I just end up bringing a pure lightweight roadie with 26/28mm tyres to France
And occasionally rent an MTB because most trails actually require something chunkier than just gravel. Most of my French friends have a single roadie, and a couple MTBs (hardtail and down countryish ). Most of my US friends have two roadies and at least one gravel, sometimes one MTB.

What seems frivolous for someone, can be the main feature for someone else.

ichobi

by ichobi

The appeal of the aethos is not just because it’s light though. It’s mostly the non racing oldschool aesthetic and vibe. There are many light racing bike, the Tcr for one, the O2 vam for two. They arent as light as the aethos of course but light enough for you to climb any and all mountains when kit right. Having said that they are totally a different vibe of bike.

People who buy aethos i dont think they buy it because it’s light or that weight is the main factor. It’s the vibe. So this Wilier when it’s out won’t be in the same market.

And if you are in for the classic look it’s a hard to beat bike because very light traditional looking (almost like steel bike) is non existent. The aethos owns that market no matter how small it is. Specialized is big enough to have the aethos line running. Bikes like the Shiv (uci tt bikes) are even more niche and most brands still produce them (out of necessity as the pros need them). They can run on longer update cycle so they can milk out that mold cost a bit longer than your typical mass market roadbikes.

jadedaid

by jadedaid

I've mostly seen an Aethos on my climbing holidays. Not much elswhere. But I think this is a great idea from Wilier. First good looking new bike I've seen in a while.

carbocation

by carbocation

cheapvega wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2024 1:01 pm
It makes me sad that road bikes seem to be coalescing around the "one bike to rule them all" model. From a business POV I get it and I feel like gravel has taken up a lot of the endurance market. But I don't care about UCI regs or whatever. I'd love to see frames designed more for the road than getting 0.1 more W at 45kph within UCI boundaries.
I agree and I love the Aethos. But I will admit that it screws up the whole order of the system. With something like Aethos, the pros aren't riding it very often, so it's not a great marketing opportunity. You're paying a bunch of money to supply/sponsor a pro team and they're not riding that frame. Plus, let's say it costs the same or more to produce an Aethos than SL7 (I don't know the actual development costs for either) - then you've got a frameset that's not the "top tier pro" frame that's more expensive to develop/produce and is likely selling lower volumes.

Spec is a good example. In my opinion, lately they make a crazy version of something (Venge for Aero, Aethos for weight) with a bunch of compromises. Then they use those lessons, refine the concept, and apply it to their do-it-all / Tarmac.

RoadDonk82

by RoadDonk82

The appeal of the aethos is not just because it’s light though. It’s mostly the non racing oldschool aesthetic and vibe.
That as well as simplicty of service and adjustments. If you want to experiment with your position by changing stems, seatposts, handlebars a well as service the bike yourself when travelling then it's a perfect bike.

I am not surprised it's not doing well though when the standard post you see online is: "Looking for my first road bike - must have hidden cables and look fast!". I am happy Specialized has done it and I was able to get one. If I bought something with integraded everything instead my life would be much more difficult and I would spend way more time off the bike when coming back from a surgery. It also rides like a dream so there is that.
Last edited by RoadDonk82 on Wed Jun 12, 2024 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

carbocation

by carbocation

I really hope this ends up being true. The Aethos has been out for ?4 years now, doesn't sound like an update is coming. Given how close the weight is to the SL8, I'd be surprised if they bothered updating the Aethos. I'd definitely order a Verticale as long as they don't put anything weird on it like an Aeroad-style cockpit. It even looks like they smoothed out that bump for the seat clamp on the Zero SLR.