First road disk build. Which brake hose is best for full internal routing ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LouisN

by LouisN

I almost gathered all the parts for my next build, which will be my first disk brake build.
It will be fully internal with the hoses routing through the handlebar and fork tube.
So I'm looking for the best, and most "supple" brake hose possible.
Which one is the pinnacle of road disk brake hoses ? Installing on Dura Ace 9170 calipers if it's significant.
Standard Shimano SM-BH90 ? Jagwire Pro ?
Thanks for your help :beerchug:

Louis :)

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Are you looking for "supple" because you are concerned about routing difficulties? The standard hose that comes with Shimano is easy to route, even through an integrated bar stem, and performs well on my 9170 equipped bike. I'd be concerned about any flexibility in a hydro hose contributing to sponginess in lever feel. I like contact with the rotor to feel very solid at the lever.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

Yeah, mostly the cockpit part. I chose to route through a fully internal handlebar, then this older Pro Vibe Di2 17deg. stem in wich I enlarged the Di2 hole to route the hoses, then inside the fork tube (all hoses and Di2 wire go through the fork tube on this frame model). Not looking for anything exotic, just something functional and reliable, and, at best not too heavy 🙏.

Louis :)

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

TBH, the hose provided with the caliper, whether that's Shimano or SRAM has never let me down.

apr46

by apr46

If you really want more flexible hoses, the stainless ones are significantly more flexible. However the Trickstuff / Goodridge MTB ones are 6mm diameter and the hope ones require use of the hope hardware and fitting either to shimano calipers is a challenge.

mathemagician

by mathemagician

You're really overthinking this. Just use whatever standard hose comes with your groupset.

Sent from my CPH2207 using Tapatalk

OtterSpace

by OtterSpace

Agree with others SM-BH90 is good enough for Shimano that only a few bother to try anything else. BR-R9170 was second gen. The first gen road hydro used something with a smaller inner diameter avoid that hose but I cant remember its name something like SM-BH6x. Current third gen uses SM-BH90 still.

For a new build I'd avoid BR-R9170. If you want to stick Shimano the newer gen BR-R9270 is a big upgrade and is backwards compatible. Personally, I would use current gen Ultegra or 105 (which are the same weight) calipers over previous gen Dura-Ace. If you are looking for something interesting you can try Shigura, Shigolo, or Hope RX4+.

mathemagician

by mathemagician

OtterSpace wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:30 pm
The first gen road hydro used something with a smaller inner diameter avoid that hose but I cant remember its name something like SM-BH6x.
I think you're referring to BH-59?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OtterSpace

by OtterSpace

mathemagician wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:42 pm
I think you're referring to BH-59?
Yeah thats likely it dont use that hose.