Cannondale SuperSix Stem options

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DeLuz

by DeLuz

I am looking into a new SuperSix and confused about stem options.
I figured that on a 51cm frame I would need about 40mm of spacers.
That assumes a stem with -6 degree angle. But it seems in some cases the bike can come with -17 degree stem? Is it possible to use any stem or just Cannondale?
I might opt for +6 degrees to use fewer spacers, or I could use something like hover bars.
Also read that the alloy knot stems are really heavy.
Thanks for any feedback.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DeLuz

by DeLuz

Looked closer at Cannondale website and it looks like -6 degree is stock.
That might work for me although still heavy but hides the cables.

gurk700

by gurk700

I'll be "that guy" but... Supersix is already a fairly large stack bike. If you need 40mm spacers you might wanna look at an endurance bike or a size bigger?

The stock stem is indeed -6. You can't run the stock stem +6 it's not reversible.

You CAN run regular stems on the supersix. You CAN hide the cables as well as long as you have handle bar that has a hole facing the stem hole / gap.
I never like that idea though because the hoses kink so much. I'd be checking it monthly to see if it's still safe. Maybe it's in my head. I know some EF Education riders do this as well (i.e. regular stem but hidden cables)
Other safer option is to run the cables under the stem as Supersix does have a top bearing cover that has holes in it to let cables out.

But yeah.. If it was me I'd look into one size larger for larger stack OR buy an endurance type bike, slam the stem and it'll look much racier and badass than a racebike with 40mm spacers.

Best of luck!
Last edited by gurk700 on Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

gurk700

by gurk700

Btw here's a photo to show it's doable. I was faffing around to see how it looks with a regular stem (so you can choose exact length / degree you like)
The cables are inside the stem. You would just need a handlebar that has a hole in the middle part. (pro vibe, some fsa models among many others)

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Anyone got a photo with the cables routed into the headset instead of the stem? I travel quite a bit with my bikes and always find this solution a lot more simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erodus

by erodus

gurk700 wrote:Btw here's a photo to show it's doable. I was faffing around to see how it looks with a regular stem (so you can choose exact length / degree you like)
The cables are inside the stem. You would just need a handlebar that has a hole in the middle part. (pro vibe, some fsa models among many others)

erodus

by erodus

gurk700 wrote:Btw here's a photo to show it's doable. I was faffing around to see how it looks with a regular stem (so you can choose exact length / degree you like)

Thanks for posting that photo, where dis you buy the headset cover and the top cap? I have not had any luck finding those online… thank you!

repoman

by repoman

Why is that stem not reversable?

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

repoman wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2024 11:52 pm
Why is that stem not reversable?
The stem pictured is reversible. The Conceal stem that comes stock on the SuperSix Evo is not reversible. Different stem. It's like the Tarmac stem or any of the other stock integrated stems.

Regarding the topic, I just ordered an Enve In-Route Stem and Aero bar. Going to see how it looks or if I can even get it to work cleanly. I saw an Instagram picture of the Black Inc cockpit that looked pretty nice.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

gurk700 wrote:I'll be "that guy" but... Supersix is already a fairly large stack bike. If you need 40mm spacers you might wanna look at an endurance bike or a size bigger?

The stock stem is indeed -6. You can't run the stock stem +6 it's not reversible.

You CAN run regular stems on the supersix. You CAN hide the cables as well as long as you have handle bar that has a hole facing the stem hole / gap.
I never like that idea though because the hoses kink so much. I'd be checking it monthly to see if it's still safe. Maybe it's in my head. I know some EF Education riders do this as well (i.e. regular stem but hidden cables)
Other safer option is to run the cables under the stem as Supersix does have a top bearing cover that has holes in it to let cables out.

But yeah.. If it was me I'd look into one size larger for larger stack OR buy an endurance type bike, slam the stem and it'll look much racier and badass than a racebike with 40mm spacers.

Best of luck!
Although it is not encouraging, I concur with this. Using 40mm of spacers on any 'race bike" just looks awful and 100 percent affects the stiffness of the front end and steering input and feel. There are SO MANY members here that claim this is not the case, but sorry. It is. Get a bigger bike.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gurk700

by gurk700

erodus wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2024 11:18 pm
Thanks for posting that photo, where dis you buy the headset cover and the top cap? I have not had any luck finding those online… thank you!
Since I bought Lab71 as a frame, it came stock with variety of options for covers / caps / accessories so that I can build up any way I like.
Conceal stem still allows cables under it and into the headset though. You don't need a special headset cover if you're using the conceal stem and wanna run cables under the stem instead of through it.