New-ish Aeroad 2025

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lina
Posts: 1266
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:09 pm

by Lina

eins4eins wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:35 am
its still PF BB86
For what *f##k* purpose? If you're doing PF BB, and there's nothing wrong with them if they're properly manufactured tbh, do BB386EVO

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



User avatar
tymon_tm
Posts: 3780
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:35 pm

by tymon_tm

even without cockpit options it sells like crazy judging by availability (which is often close to none IME). Canyon can keep two racing bikes because they don't stock shops; they produce and sell, that's the beauty of it. they can keep hanging unavailible bikes or color options for weeks or months on their site without bothering whether they'd sell or not. when canyon does thier "sale" thing there's hardly anything to chose from except some XXL sizes. and I for one know things used to be different, i actually bought a discounted M-size aeroad years ago, and it was neither the last item, nore the only option availible.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

tomtom
Posts: 369
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:01 am

by tomtom

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:53 am
BigBoyND wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 5:56 am
EtoDemerzel wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:09 am
BikeTyson wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 1:52 am


Which is funny because when a pro team has the option of two bikes, 95% of the time they're picking the aero bike. So it's funny that these brands are choosing to kill off the bike the pros want. Specialized killed off the Venge. Trek looks to be killing the Madone even though I can't remember the last time I saw anybody pick the Emonda. Glad Canyon is keeping the Aeroad.
But if the Aeroad is more of an "all around" design, and so is every other main competitor, does it matter? They are all basically "all around" bikes, despite keeping or changing the name.
The Aeroad still leans much more towards aero than all-rounders. With these profiles I wouldn't even put it in that category.
Yeah, I don't know where this "all-rounder" thing is coming from. The update - and it is an update - looks like a refinement and iteration of the current design. Lots of similarities - the seat tube, seat stays, forks, downtube and head tube below the top tube junction all look very similar. Seatpost is less deep, and the top tube is different especially where it meets the headtube. Cockpit is different. BB area is different. So it looks like the focus is mainly on the "problem" seatpost areas plus some aero tweaks.

The current bike is already very fast, but it is not light - at nearly 7.5kg quoted. If they can drop this back to 7.1 (which is what the current model was supposed to be when it was released), eliminate seatpost issues, and make people happy(ier) with the cockpit size selection at least with options that you can buy, it''ll be a very nice step.
Drop to 7,1kg? How? The frame was ca 900g (so already quite light for an aeroframe) so it has to go down by 400g? Rest of the parts are already light or not available lighter (big brands like DT don't make really lighter (deep) wheelsets for example). Seatpost issues were already addressed and most people like (or at least buy) the bikes with the (CP) cockpits. I don't think much will change on that aera....maybe a litlle lighter, more aero and more comfort. But a T47 BB would be nice with much more axles/confirations to choose from :thumbup:
Ultimate CFR
Aeroad CFR
Grail CF

aeroisnteverything
Posts: 936
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:43 pm

by aeroisnteverything

tomtom wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:50 pm
aeroisnteverything wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:53 am
...
Yeah, I don't know where this "all-rounder" thing is coming from. The update - and it is an update - looks like a refinement and iteration of the current design. Lots of similarities - the seat tube, seat stays, forks, downtube and head tube below the top tube junction all look very similar. Seatpost is less deep, and the top tube is different especially where it meets the headtube. Cockpit is different. BB area is different. So it looks like the focus is mainly on the "problem" seatpost areas plus some aero tweaks.

The current bike is already very fast, but it is not light - at nearly 7.5kg quoted. If they can drop this back to 7.1 (which is what the current model was supposed to be when it was released), eliminate seatpost issues, and make people happy(ier) with the cockpit size selection at least with options that you can buy, it''ll be a very nice step.
Drop to 7,1kg? How? The frame was ca 900g (so already quite light for an aeroframe) so it has to go down by 400g? Rest of the parts are already light or not available lighter (big brands like DT don't make really lighter (deep) wheelsets for example). Seatpost issues were already addressed and most people like (or at least buy) the bikes with the (CP) cockpits. I don't think much will change on that aera....maybe a litlle lighter, more aero and more comfort. But a T47 BB would be nice with much more axles/confirations to choose from :thumbup:
A frame of around 900 and fork of 400 or a bit less should be capable of being built into 7.1-7.2 kg bike if all the other bits are efficient (i.e., sub 350g cockpit, 150-170 seatpost, and c. 1400g wheels). And the original bike, when it was released, was quoted around those numbers when released. But in the process of solving for problems in the seatpost area and the cockpit, Canyon quietly added weight. No idea where exaclty this weight went, but my suspicion is that the frame is not 900g anymore, but north of 1kg painted, the seatpost is heavy, and cockpit is probaby well over 400g with those removable bars. Since they Canyon does not ship a bare frame, I am not sure if anyone has ever weighed all the parts separately and I certainly have not seen any comparisons of weight of the original model vs what is currently on sale.

So yeah, if they just go back to the weights of parts they had originally, I think 7.1 is totally achievable.

Also, a T47, while no doubt not a bad solution, would unfortunately add weight. I am personally pretty much convinced by the BBInfinite solution to the BB86 "problem".

User avatar
wheelsONfire
Posts: 6374
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:15 am
Location: NorthEU

by wheelsONfire

The rotten thing is you're stuck with those size specific crankarm lengths, a fixed stem length and handlebar width.
How hard can it be to sell customers what they need.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)


Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

6fu
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:59 am

by 6fu

wheelsONfire wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:11 pm
The rotten thing is you're stuck with those size specific crankarm lengths, a fixed stem length and handlebar width.
How hard can it be to sell customers what they need.
Don't know how things go now, but years ago when I was buying ultimate, I asked for a different size cockpit and I got it for free with added 2 week wait for them to swap it before shipping the bike.


alanyu
Posts: 1703
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:10 pm

by alanyu

6fu wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 6:00 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:11 pm
The rotten thing is you're stuck with those size specific crankarm lengths, a fixed stem length and handlebar width.
How hard can it be to sell customers what they need.
Don't know how things go now, but years ago when I was buying ultimate, I asked for a different size cockpit and I got it for free with added 2 week wait for them to swap it before shipping the bike.
In another canyon thread, some mentioned this is not any more possible sadly.

EtoDemerzel
Posts: 301
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:13 pm

by EtoDemerzel

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:53 am
BigBoyND wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 5:56 am
EtoDemerzel wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:09 am
BikeTyson wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 1:52 am


Which is funny because when a pro team has the option of two bikes, 95% of the time they're picking the aero bike. So it's funny that these brands are choosing to kill off the bike the pros want. Specialized killed off the Venge. Trek looks to be killing the Madone even though I can't remember the last time I saw anybody pick the Emonda. Glad Canyon is keeping the Aeroad.
But if the Aeroad is more of an "all around" design, and so is every other main competitor, does it matter? They are all basically "all around" bikes, despite keeping or changing the name.
The Aeroad still leans much more towards aero than all-rounders. With these profiles I wouldn't even put it in that category.
Yeah, I don't know where this "all-rounder" thing is coming from. The update - and it is an update - looks like a refinement and iteration of the current design. Lots of similarities - the seat tube, seat stays, forks, downtube and head tube below the top tube junction all look very similar. Seatpost is less deep, and the top tube is different especially where it meets the headtube. Cockpit is different. BB area is different. So it looks like the focus is mainly on the "problem" seatpost areas plus some aero tweaks.

The current bike is already very fast, but it is not light - at nearly 7.5kg quoted. If they can drop this back to 7.1 (which is what the current model was supposed to be when it was released), eliminate seatpost issues, and make people happy(ier) with the cockpit size selection at least with options that you can buy, it''ll be a very nice step.
like I said, the changes push more towards all-arounder. Canyon could have gone full-aero but chose to go the other way.
The days of "weight doesn't matter" marketing seems to have lost it's lustre.

Petermeter
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:49 pm

by Petermeter

What wheels are those ? :shock:
Attachments
mv.png

tomtom
Posts: 369
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:01 am

by tomtom

EtoDemerzel wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 10:54 pm
aeroisnteverything wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:53 am
BigBoyND wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 5:56 am
EtoDemerzel wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:09 am


But if the Aeroad is more of an "all around" design, and so is every other main competitor, does it matter? They are all basically "all around" bikes, despite keeping or changing the name.
The Aeroad still leans much more towards aero than all-rounders. With these profiles I wouldn't even put it in that category.
Yeah, I don't know where this "all-rounder" thing is coming from. The update - and it is an update - looks like a refinement and iteration of the current design. Lots of similarities - the seat tube, seat stays, forks, downtube and head tube below the top tube junction all look very similar. Seatpost is less deep, and the top tube is different especially where it meets the headtube. Cockpit is different. BB area is different. So it looks like the focus is mainly on the "problem" seatpost areas plus some aero tweaks.

The current bike is already very fast, but it is not light - at nearly 7.5kg quoted. If they can drop this back to 7.1 (which is what the current model was supposed to be when it was released), eliminate seatpost issues, and make people happy(ier) with the cockpit size selection at least with options that you can buy, it''ll be a very nice step.
like I said, the changes push more towards all-arounder. Canyon could have gone full-aero but chose to go the other way.
The days of "weight doesn't matter" marketing seems to have lost it's lustre.
The Aeroad will probably be lighter but for an Aeroframe is does matter less I think? With DA, light saddle and light wheels it still is (easy) possible to go sub 7kg with the "old' frameset. My Aeroad CFR would be 7,0 kg with my 6,4 kg ultimate CFR set-up (pedals, mounts, bottlecages included). The new Aeroad will probably be a bit lighter (good for marketing!) but not much I fear :mrgreen:
Last edited by tomtom on Thu Jun 06, 2024 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ultimate CFR
Aeroad CFR
Grail CF

Petermeter
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:49 pm

by Petermeter

tomtom wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2024 11:03 am
nino10 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 7:14 pm
447779390_18437510881017615_3744493779632802308_n.jpg
https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/v/t39 ... sid=10d13b
https://www.instagram.com/p/C71E9YEtNml/?img_index=1
? This is the "old" Aeroad so why post it here?
Looks to me it's the new

tomtom
Posts: 369
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:01 am

by tomtom

Petermeter wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2024 11:11 am
tomtom wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2024 11:03 am
nino10 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 7:14 pm
447779390_18437510881017615_3744493779632802308_n.jpg
https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/v/t39 ... sid=10d13b
https://www.instagram.com/p/C71E9YEtNml/?img_index=1
? This is the "old" Aeroad so why post it here?
Looks to me it's the new
You're right....sorry....I saw a coverplate for the thru-axle I thought but now I see it has the new cockpit :thumbup:
Ultimate CFR
Aeroad CFR
Grail CF

Petermeter
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:49 pm

by Petermeter

tomtom wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2024 11:18 am
Petermeter wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2024 11:11 am
tomtom wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2024 11:03 am
nino10 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2024 7:14 pm
447779390_18437510881017615_3744493779632802308_n.jpg
https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/v/t39 ... sid=10d13b
https://www.instagram.com/p/C71E9YEtNml/?img_index=1
? This is the "old" Aeroad so why post it here?
Looks to me it's the new
You're right....sorry....I saw a coverplate for the thru-axle I thought but now I see it has the new cockpit :thumbup:
:beerchug: BUT THOSE WHEELS!! ;-)

tomtom
Posts: 369
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:01 am

by tomtom

Petermeter wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2024 11:48 am
tomtom wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2024 11:18 am
Petermeter wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2024 11:11 am
tomtom wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2024 11:03 am


? This is the "old" Aeroad so why post it here?
Looks to me it's the new
You're right....sorry....I saw a coverplate for the thru-axle I thought but now I see it has the new cockpit :thumbup:
:beerchug: BUT THOSE WHEELS!! ;-)
Zipp 404 NSW?
Ultimate CFR
Aeroad CFR
Grail CF

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



Post Reply