Coros dura bike computer

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

maurice1

by maurice1

https://youtu.be/vWJ3XnrdvQc?si=Q1sugwghQVX9QNZE&t=1094

Here it is in action, I believe this is the first footage

Flasher

by Flasher

Nickldn wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2024 11:45 am

The design is not really suitable for road bikes from a durability perspective....my aluminium bike computer mount snapped on a ride last week on a bend at about 15mph and my Garmin and light flew into the middle of the road. Luckily neither were run over by a car and both were undamaged. I don't even need to speculate what would have happened to a bike computer with a large protruding part.....let's just say I'm very pleased with the durability of my Garmin 530 and Cateye Ampp 800 light.
Sorry, but what has the durability of a random bike mount holding your Garmin + light got to do with this new bike computer?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nunokas

by nunokas

Flasher wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2024 4:12 pm
Nickldn wrote:

The design is not really suitable for road bikes from a durability perspective....my aluminium bike computer mount snapped on a ride last week on a bend at about 15mph and my Garmin and light flew into the middle of the road. Luckily neither were run over by a car and both were undamaged. I don't even need to speculate what would have happened to a bike computer with a large protruding part.....let's just say I'm very pleased with the durability of my Garmin 530 and Cateye Ampp 800 light.
Sorry, but what has the durability of a random bike mount holding your Garmin + light got to do with this new bike computer?

Keeping things simple, he's refering the durability of that protruding switch when the gps falls. It's a pertinent point, I don't know if you do mtb but when I did and raced on xc/enduro, gps on the floor/bushes, damaged or lost, it wasn't so uncommon :wink:
Last edited by nunokas on Sat Jun 01, 2024 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Flasher wrote:
Nickldn wrote:

Computer mount? No, I'm talking about dropping the computer. Not convinced the large protruding dial would be at all durable if it hits the ground. As far as I'm concerned it's an obvious design flaw in an object designed for use on a bike.

CJosephB

by CJosephB

maurice1 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2024 12:47 pm
https://youtu.be/vWJ3XnrdvQc?si=Q1sugwghQVX9QNZE&t=1094

Here it is in action, I believe this is the first footage
I like that. It's similar in function to their watches along with having a touchscreen. Kudos!

Lina

by Lina

Nickldn wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2024 5:37 pm
Flasher wrote:
Nickldn wrote:

Computer mount? No, I'm talking about dropping the computer. Not convinced the large protruding dial would be at all durable if it hits the ground. As far as I'm concerned it's an obvious design flaw in an object designed for use on a bike.
But why would I drop my computer? It doesn't seem like a smart thing to do.

maurice1

by maurice1

Dropping computers seems to be a frequent occurence for some people, same as bottles. Can't say I can relate and it's not for a lack of potholes

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Lina wrote:
Nickldn wrote:
Flasher wrote:
Nickldn wrote:

Stuff happens man. You've never dropped your head unit while getting ready to, or ending a ride?
Never cheer before you know who is winning

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Lina wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2024 7:55 pm
Nickldn wrote:
Flasher wrote:
Nickldn wrote:

????? Smart thing to do? It's sad, but we all have to live in the real world and believe me sh*t happens, even to smart people.

Flasher

by Flasher

The Garmin comes with a strap, how about using it, then if your mount breaks (something that's never happened to me or anyone I know) it'll hang from the handlebars.

Why design something around a possibility that may never happen to 99.9% of users?

Lina

by Lina

wheelbuilder wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2024 10:00 pm
Lina wrote: But why would I drop my computer? It doesn't seem like a smart thing to do.
Stuff happens man. You've never dropped your head unit while getting ready to, or ending a ride?
Literally never. I've also never dropped my my phone. I just don't understand how people do it.
Nickldn wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2024 10:20 pm
Lina wrote:
????? Smart thing to do? It's sad, but we all have to live in the real world and believe me sh*t happens, even to smart people.
Well maybe to smart people but not to people who have have a control of their extremities still with them. I've never dropped a phone, head unit, or any other expensive electronical device. I've never had a head unit mount break on me, nor have I heard it happen outside of weightweenie mounts where you can pretty much tell it's not strong enough just by looking at it.

usr

by usr

wheelbuilder wrote:
[/quote]
Never. And that's while I do have plenty of opportunities where I remove the head unit from the bike when charging and bike are in very different locations. But I do use the leash a lot, sometimes dangling my Edge from the wildest places because I sure won't trust my hands with anything important in the pre-ride rush or the post-ride stumble. Securing the device while on the bike is only an also-ran leash use case for me, ny primary leash uses are off-bike.

CJosephB

by CJosephB

Haha forums are always an interesting read you don't know where it goes. A person doesn't like a feature because so and so, when the person drops it may be a failure point. Point taken, and solution is don't buy it? Or I'm sure they'll change it for your needs, maybe?

There's so much more features that hasn't been revealed yet.. how intuitive or easy is it to use, or sync with power meters, etc...

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Lina wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2024 10:41 pm
wheelbuilder wrote:
Lina wrote: But why would I drop my computer? It doesn't seem like a smart thing to do.
Literally never. I've also never dropped my my phone. I just don't understand how people do it.
Nickldn wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2024 10:20 pm
Lina wrote:
Well maybe to smart people but not to people who have have a control of their extremities still with them. I've never dropped a phone, head unit, or any other expensive electronical device. I've never had a head unit mount break on me, nor have I heard it happen outside of weightweenie mounts where you can pretty much tell it's not strong enough just by looking at it.
I'm not going to have a pointless forum argument about random stuff happening in life.

We all perceive risk differently and I wouldn't but a bike computer, or a mobile phone for that matter with a fragile knob on its side. Of course everyone has the right to have their own view.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Flasher

by Flasher

Yet we all buy bikes with £100's of pounds worth of rear derailleurs, that stick out awkwardly from the side of the bike, is that a consideration too?