Coros dura bike computer

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Flasher wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2024 12:45 pm
Yet we all buy bikes with £100's of pounds worth of rear derailleurs, that stick out awkwardly from the side of the bike, is that a consideration too?
:D :D I guess no manufacturer markets a rear derailleur with a large easy to damage knob sticking out. But yes, Shimano Shadow technology makes the RD profile lower. Shadow Plus even more so.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/technolo ... ow-rd.html

As I said above, I'm not going to have a pointless forum argument about this, it's just common sense to me. You may agree, or not.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Flasher

by Flasher

It's not an argument it's a discussion.

The knob actually looks like a good idea to me, I can imagine that it's probably easier to control the unit with gloved hands in the winter, the buttons and touch screen on my Garmin work fine with mitts in the summer, but it gets more troublesome in the winter often having to take my eyes off the road for longer than I like to make sure what I'm doing has worked.

Of course it could be rubbish and clunky but I like it that someone has come in with a different ideas, rather than going down the usual head unit design route, also the big solar panel, if I never have to worry about charging again that's also a major positive for me :thumbsup:

maurice1

by maurice1

Bit disappointed from initial reviews. The screen is just way too small... That bezel is hideous. Just hoping this is going to be their flagship, vertix equivalent and we get a lighter, better looking pace equivalent in the future

Renne

by Renne

Wow nice to see that people still don't have even the smallest bit of empathy on fora...good job keeping up the bad vibes.
As someone who has trouble with motor skills at times due to being neurodivergent and has had no less then 2 mounts break during gravel riding I understand the concerns with the know sticking out.
Having said that, I kind of like the idea of it...but I can imagine that real life application will be less then ideal. I'd have to try it out but would imagine that trying to use it on anything but smooth road could potentially be an issue.
The bezel and the "solar-hump" aren't what I would call pretty but if they make it so I barely have to charge it, that's nice.
That being said from what I've read from the first reviews (DC Rainmaker for example) this thing is a ways of from being ready for sale. It seems weird that they already announced it as it sounds more like a prototype that still needs quite a bit of work on the software side of things.
Future will tell I suppose.

alanyu

by alanyu

One hour ride in sun gives you two hours battery life. It's way more useful than Garmin's solar resulting in no cable charging required. However it's overkill IMO. If they reduce the solar panel to half hence smaller unit/bigger screen/better screen to body ratio, giving 1 hour life per 1 hour ride, it's fantastic, no?

Renne

by Renne

alanyu wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:34 am
One hour ride in sun gives you two hours battery life. It's way more useful than Garmin's solar resulting in no cable charging required. However it's overkill IMO. If they reduce the solar panel to half hence smaller unit/bigger screen/better screen to body ratio, giving 1 hour life per 1 hour ride, it's fantastic, no?
That 2 hours battery life for every 1 hour of riding will most likely be near impossible to achieve. DC Rainmaker noted 3 to 6% battery loss per hour in bright, sunny conditions. Ray did say that this was pre-update that Coros stated would enchance battery performance. But as things stand you can get about 25 hours of battery life out of it. So that update is going to have to do a huge amount of improving :lol:
As someone who lives in a sun-deprived European country there's no way any solar powered gps bike computer would ever get 2 hours of battery life out of a 1 hour ride. Even with perfect conditions this seems like a very optimistic estimate.

maurice1

by maurice1

Renne wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:52 am
alanyu wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:34 am
That 2 hours battery life for every 1 hour of riding will most likely be near impossible to achieve. DC Rainmaker noted 3 to 6% battery loss per hour in bright, sunny conditions. Ray did say that this was pre-update that Coros stated would enchance battery performance. But as things stand you can get about 25 hours of battery life out of it. So that update is going to have to do a huge amount of improving :lol:
As someone who lives in a sun-deprived European country there's no way any solar powered gps bike computer would ever get 2 hours of battery life out of a 1 hour ride. Even with perfect conditions this seems like a very optimistic estimate.
I would take his experience with a double grain of salt because it doesn't mirror anything other reviewers have been saying. 2 hours of battery for every hour ridden sounds outlandish, but others seemed to at least not lose battery like him so I suspect he has either a faulty unit or wrong software
But I too wish they hadn't gone all in on maximizing battery, 40 hours is perfectly fine already and the device is lacking in literally every other department

Renne

by Renne

maurice1 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:57 pm
I would take his experience with a double grain of salt because it doesn't mirror anything other reviewers have been saying. 2 hours of battery for every hour ridden sounds outlandish, but others seemed to at least not lose battery like him so I suspect he has either a faulty unit or wrong software
But I too wish they hadn't gone all in on maximizing battery, 40 hours is perfectly fine already and the device is lacking in literally every other department
Yes but that kind of worries me even more. You can already order this unit and several reviewers are giving wildly different experiences (some very negative, some very positive and some in between). Even if you take out the outliers you still get a unit that's not ready for the consumer market. They told reviewers there's still an update coming up tomorrow and the week after. But you've already said that the unit will be shipping the 1st of July (this has already been postponed I believe to the 15th but still). It feels like the early adaptors are very much going to be beta testers (from what I heard a very similar strategy to what Hammerhead did with the Karoo and Karoo 2 and that more and more brands seem to be doing).

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Just happened to finish watching the latest Nero show episode which slammed this device back to the drawing board. It's just bizarre how a company can claim that a device is out for sale but that it will be updated very soon as well. Why would any consumer wanna take a chance on this?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Renne wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:06 am
maurice1 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:57 pm
Yes but that kind of worries me even more. You can already order this unit and several reviewers are giving wildly different experiences (some very negative, some very positive and some in between). Even if you take out the outliers you still get a unit that's not ready for the consumer market. They told reviewers there's still an update coming up tomorrow and the week after. But you've already said that the unit will be shipping the 1st of July (this has already been postponed I believe to the 15th but still). It feels like the early adaptors are very much going to be beta testers (from what I heard a very similar strategy to what Hammerhead did with the Karoo and Karoo 2 and that more and more brands seem to be doing).
Electronic stuff not working properly and requiring updates to do so is the norm these days, unfortunately.

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

Kayrehn wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:57 am
Just happened to finish watching the latest Nero show episode which slammed this device back to the drawing board. It's just bizarre how a company can claim that a device is out for sale but that it will be updated very soon as well. Why would any consumer wanna take a chance on this?

I watched GP Lama's review, along with the Nero show and DC Rainmaker. And I wouldn't buy this computer for $50 based on their reviews. I trust Shane and Ray's reviews above all others. And I think Chris on Nero hit the nail on the head slamming the other reviewers who gave it such positive reviews. They're shills. I think it's good for people to call out junk like this. And shows me who is actually reviewing the product and who is paid advertising. There are a couple YouTube "reviewers" that won't get any of my views anymore. It's a double edged sword unfortunately because the honest reviewers out there are less likely to get early product access now because they're honest.

RDY

by RDY

Kayrehn wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:57 am

It's not on sale. Middle of next month. They claim everything's going to be fixed by then ... quite obviously not though.

repoman

by repoman

For the price, it looks pretty cool IMO...if it actually worked. :lol:

I like the dial idea, I think it looks fine, battery life is very cool.
Hopefully they can figure out it's issues, notably the wonky power data and ANT+ problems.