NEW new Madone 2025

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spartan

by spartan

ok what is the US MSRP on the frameset ?
proffate wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:10 pm
spartan wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 6:40 pm
no one has discussed pricing. NOTE prices are in CAD.
from this post:
Seamanatorr wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:39 pm
From my local Trek dealer Image
I assumed those prices are USD and they look pretty similar to gen 7 pricing. SLR 7 is -50 for example. SL7 is unchanged, and you don't have to wait a year for the SL this time I guess.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

proffate wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:47 pm
BikeTyson wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:17 pm
That’s not the case these days. You can build up a frameset with the exact same parts as the full build for cheaper. It’s not even custom or different parts. Literally the same exact parts. Full builds are price ridiculously. Maybe if you pay full retail for everything it’s more cost effective for the full build, but everything is on sale.
Maybe this is true at the halo level, which is one tier above where I usually buy. I've been pricing builds lately and not found this to be the case with bikes such as:

* supersix hi mod
* tarmac 10r
* factor ostro
* santa cruz stigmata

I'm assuming about $1600-2k for group (ultegra di2/grx level) and I'm not yet a fan of Chinese wheels (lack of warranty/support more than anything), so $1600-2k ish for wheels. Supersix hi mod for example: 4500 for frame vs 8300 for complete bike with ui2, which includes wheels that retail for 2500, but are maybe equivalent to 1500 bontragers or 1800 rovals. Cockpit will run you 400 to whatever, and saddle is the same either route you take. So this is pretty close, but then you take into account paying someone to build the bike ($600 or whatever) and the headaches you run into along the way.

Example 2: factor ostro with ui2 is 9k, but it's 5.5k for frame module + 2900 for wheels + 1600 for ui2. You're already 1k down before you even start to build the thing.

Therefore, I try to find a complete package I like at least the majority of, rather than just picking a frame independent of all other details.

(Even better is when you find a lightly used bike, which I think I may have just done with a gen 7 madone. I love buying from industry employees.)
Yea, I think it comes down to what deals you can get on the group and wheels. $1600 for Ultegra is probably on the higher end of what you can find. I paid around $400 for my 105 Di2 group and around $850 for my Ultegra. The 105 is on my gravel bike and the Ultegra is looking for a frameset to build up. There are so many sales that $1400 for Ultegra Di2 is probably reasonable. Same for wheels and even more so with Chinese brands but that’s another discussion.

And I actually think the Cannondale full builds are priced really well. The non Hi-Mod UDi2 build at $5500 is a great deal in my opinion. Specialized builds on the other hand are not great. I priced the full build SL8 Pro $8500 compared to what I could build up from the frame and it was almost $1000 cheaper. That’s using the $850 UDi2 group I found though. The reason it’s almost always cheaper for me is that I already have to replace the crank, stem, and bars because of sizing problems. My wheels are also better than any stock option as well.

Regardless, the problem with Trek framesets vs full build is always the paint job. They usually only offer the frame in a single color, whereas the full builds get you 5 or 6 colors to pick from. Smart by them. Unless the frame happens to be one I like I’d probably spring for the full build knowing I’m going to strip half the parts off.

proffate

by proffate

spartan wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:56 pm
ok what is the US MSRP on the frameset ?
I don't have that info but I'm assuming it's pretty much the same since the full builds are unchanged.

proffate

by proffate

cleanneon98 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:52 pm
proffate wrote:
BikeTyson wrote:
That’s not the case these days. You can build up a frameset with the exact same parts as the full build for cheaper. It’s not even custom or different parts. Literally the same exact parts. Full builds are price ridiculously. Maybe if you pay full retail for everything it’s more cost effective for the full build, but everything is on sale.
Maybe this is true at the halo level, which is one tier above where I usually buy. I've been pricing builds lately and not found this to be the case with bikes such as:

* supersix hi mod
* tarmac 10r
* factor ostro
* santa cruz stigmata

I'm assuming about $1600-2k for group (ultegra di2/grx level) and I'm not yet a fan of Chinese wheels (lack of warranty/support more than anything), so $1600-2k ish for wheels. Supersix hi mod for example: 4500 for frame vs 8300 for complete bike with ui2, which includes wheels that retail for 2500, but are maybe equivalent to 1500 bontragers or 1800 rovals. Cockpit will run you 400 to whatever, and saddle is the same either route you take. So this is pretty close, but then you take into account paying someone to build the bike ($600 or whatever) and the headaches you run into along the way.

Example 2: factor ostro with ui2 is 9k, but it's 5.5k for frame module + 2900 for wheels + 1600 for ui2. You're already 1k down before you even start to build the thing.

Therefore, I try to find a complete package I like at least the majority of, rather than just picking a frame independent of all other details.

(Even better is when you find a lightly used bike, which I think I may have just done with a gen 7 madone. I love buying from industry employees.)
My buddy in NJ has an SLR9 red 56cm for sale, also a TREK employee. Hit me up if you need info
Thanks but I'm looking for 62cm. I have to play the bike buysell game on hard mode.

cleanneon98

by cleanneon98

proffate wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 9:53 pm
cleanneon98 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:52 pm
proffate wrote:
BikeTyson wrote:

* supersix hi mod
* tarmac 10r
* factor ostro
* santa cruz stigmata

My buddy in NJ has an SLR9 red 56cm for sale, also a TREK employee. Hit me up if you need info
Thanks but I'm looking for 62cm. I have to play the bike buysell game on hard mode.
I know another giraffe suffering from the same circumstances. Good luck!
TREK Madone Gen 7 SLR - 7.43kg
TREK Fuel EX Gen 5 - overbuilt and overweight

proffate

by proffate

BikeTyson wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:41 pm
around $850 for my Ultegra.
You obviously knew that was a ridiculously good deal since you bought it without actually having a plan for it, and not something you can find on a whim. I base my estimates on ebay sold (and new condition) listings, which are 1400-1600 for ultegra based on specs.

TLN

by TLN

proffate wrote:
BikeTyson wrote:

* supersix hi mod
* tarmac 10r
* factor ostro
* santa cruz stigmata

Which Cannondale wheels are 2.5K? Knot R50? I sold mine to my buddy for 1k. Those are 1500gm, 21mm internal on "DT-Swiss internals" hubs. Nothing fancy there, compared to whees that actually cost 2k+
I'd value Factor wheels a bit more though, at 23mm internal and carbon spokes, but hard to value at 2.9k.
proffate wrote:
Same here, but I'd consider 60-61cm frames easy mode: so many good deals out there if you don't stick to one particular brand.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

proffate wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 10:00 pm
BikeTyson wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:41 pm
around $850 for my Ultegra.
You obviously knew that was a ridiculously good deal since you bought it without actually having a plan for it, and not something you can find on a whim. I base my estimates on ebay sold (and new condition) listings, which are 1400-1600 for ultegra based on specs.
Oh for sure. I thought it was a listing error at first. I understand that that price isn't normal. But that's why I said $1400 I thought was a reasonable deal these days.

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

TLN wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 11:55 pm
proffate wrote:
BikeTyson wrote:

* supersix hi mod
* tarmac 10r
* factor ostro
* santa cruz stigmata

Which Cannondale wheels are 2.5K? Knot R50? I sold mine to my buddy for 1k. Those are 1500gm, 21mm internal on "DT-Swiss internals" hubs. Nothing fancy there, compared to whees that actually cost 2k+
I'd value Factor wheels a bit more though, at 23mm internal and carbon spokes, but hard to value at 2.9k.
proffate wrote:
Same here, but I'd consider 60-61cm frames easy mode: so many good deals out there if you don't stick to one particular brand.
The R-SL 50 wheels that come on the Hi-Mod build retail for $2500 (1100 front, 1400 rear).

https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/gear/h ... rear-wheel

Guardian

by Guardian

Friend ordered the SL7 yesterday, bike expected in to the shop in about a week.
Attachments
bc9558c0-156c-4143-b5f9-61fb072c73ed.jpeg
b2826b89-5edb-4705-838c-62d4bc494e8f.jpeg
6049eae6-b6ad-45b4-be83-c7cb1cbc4725.jpeg
ba4fbee8-456a-437b-aa3c-997a2624c40f.jpeg

cleanneon98

by cleanneon98

I did price out a Gen 7 Madone SL build using their stock parts (maybe could have subbed in different wheels) and it did not work out favorably

Complete bike was 6500-10% discount = $5850

Building it up I'd get discounts on a few things but not all
Frameset 3800-10% = 3420
Aeolus Pro 51 wheelset 1500-10% = 1350
Ui2 groupset = 1350 on some sale websites

This is already over the price of a complete bike and that's before a cockpit, saddle, tires, and other miscellaneous things like fluids, bar tape, etc etc. I think doing the builds yourself makes more sense on a higher end bike or if you're buying some things used. I ended up converting that SL into an SLR through warranty and some diligent parts hunting and own it like 4K under MSRP for the same P1 build.

Based on complete Gen 8 pricing I expect frameset to be the same pricing as Gen 7 (maybe a little more for SLR due to that inckuded bottle system)
TREK Madone Gen 7 SLR - 7.43kg
TREK Fuel EX Gen 5 - overbuilt and overweight

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

I just don't see how this could be more aero than the gen 7 Madone. I mean it's a good looking bike and a fair bit lighter, I just don't see it as a big improvement over the gen 7. I'm curious what they meant when they said the gen 8 SL outperforms the gen 7 SLR. Did they say which metrics they judge that? Weight, sure. But I don't see it more aero.

Any guesses on tire clearance?

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

cleanneon98 wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:29 am
I did price out a Gen 7 Madone SL build using their stock parts (maybe could have subbed in different wheels) and it did not work out favorably

Frameset 3800-10% = 3420

This is already over the price of a complete bike and that's before a cockpit, saddle, tires, and other miscellaneous things like fluids, bar tape, etc etc. I think doing the builds yourself makes more sense on a higher end bike or if you're buying some things used. I ended up converting that SL into an SLR through warranty and some diligent parts hunting and own it like 4K under MSRP for the same P1 build.

Based on complete Gen 8 pricing I expect frameset to be the same pricing as Gen 7 (maybe a little more for SLR due to that inckuded bottle system)
Yea, I guess I was mainly looking at Specialized when comparing the full build vs frameset build up. And I still think their pricing is off. Comparing the SL8 Pro to the SL Gen 7 like you stated, both with Ultegra Di2, lower tier frame. Specialized frameset is cheaper ($3500 vs $3800) and yet the full build is still $2000 more expensive ($8500 vs $6500). So with Specialized I think the frameset is the way to go. With Trek like you've shown and Cannondale the full builds are a better value. If you're going to stick with the stock parts.

wozzo

by wozzo

Guardian wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:28 am
Friend ordered the SL7 yesterday, bike expected in to the shop in about a week.
This colour scheme looks cool. Do you know the price he got?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jaisen

by Jaisen

BikeTyson wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:55 am
cleanneon98 wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:29 am

Frameset 3800-10% = 3420

Yea, I guess I was mainly looking at Specialized when comparing the full build vs frameset build up. And I still think their pricing is off. Comparing the SL8 Pro to the SL Gen 7 like you stated, both with Ultegra Di2, lower tier frame. Specialized frameset is cheaper ($3500 vs $3800) and yet the full build is still $2000 more expensive ($8500 vs $6500). So with Specialized I think the frameset is the way to go. With Trek like you've shown and Cannondale the full builds are a better value. If you're going to stick with the stock parts.
I built a Tarmac 10r with Ultegra, the price ended up almost identical as if I bought it prebuilt. The only difference was I had to pay extra to get all the tools but the advantage is I can now do anything to fix the bike and never need to go to a LBS unless I need to warranty a part. I also got to pick handlebar width, stem length, and crank length which all differed than on a stock build. If I had to pay to swap those parts out of a stock build, it would be even more expensive than the tools I had to purchase.