NEW new Madone 2025

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cleanneon98

by cleanneon98

Yea that's ALL of the spacers you get with the bike. Paint job is amazing but something like a $3500 or $5000 option in addition to the bike

I think it says a lot when people on WW would take the heavier bike 😂
TREK Madone Gen 7 SLR - 7.43kg
TREK Fuel EX Gen 5 - overbuilt and overweight

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lbert

by Lbert

The gen 8 Trek bike goes into the same direction as Specialized sl8, one bike.
The overall frame is slimmer and down tube also rounder. Although it is the collision between Madone and Emonda, it has more Emonda shape in this bike, with only the top tube and seatpost look like Madone.

proffate

by proffate

I don't quite get why they wouldn't keep producing the gen 7 madone. I keep hearing that they want to reduce SKUs, but aren't the biggest costs in the initial setup of the carbon molds?

The SL came out less than a year ago! And they're pretty much sold out (in my size anyway), so there's demand...

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

proffate wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:44 am
I don't quite get why they wouldn't keep producing the gen 7 madone. I keep hearing that they want to reduce SKUs, but aren't the biggest costs in the initial setup of the carbon molds?

The SL came out less than a year ago! And they're pretty much sold out (in my size anyway), so there's demand...

Quest (SLRs) and other factories (SL and below) can only make so many frames at a time. If they switch a floor over to doing Gen 7s, a full size run will take months. And then Trek has to ship and store all that inventory all the while delaying the manufacture of Gen 8s.

spartan

by spartan

go to your trek dealer they now have model numbers/prices/info

How much does the frameset weigh?
Size ML Madone SLR Gen 8 in Matte Gloss/Carbon Smoke (no hardware):
- Frame: 796g
- Fork: 350g

What is different about Madone Gen 8 compared to Madone Gen 7?
There are several all-new features on the Madone Gen 8:

- 900 Series OCLV carbon on SLR
- Full System Foil lightweight aero tube shapes
- Improved IsoFlow comfort tech is now lighter and more compliant
- RSL Aero Bottle and Cage system (included with SLR, available aftermarket for SL)
- RSL Aero bar/stem is lighter and more ergonomic (included with SLR)
- UDH (universal derailleur hanger)
- Premium Switch Pro chamfered thru-axles
- RCS Headset System
- 33mm (width as measured) max tire clearance
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

fizzaz

by fizzaz

The thing is getting a lot of hate, but I actually really like what I'm seeing. I typically don't even like bars that have the weird drooping shape, but these fit the frame. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

cleanneon98

by cleanneon98

Gen 7 Frame/Fork claimed 1050/418
Gen 8 Frame/Fork claimed 796/350

322g is a decent weight savings, similar to what they lost moving to the Gen 7 from Gen 6 though that was between the frame and cockpit (it'll be even lighter with the new post). I like the UDH a lot, also nice to see them introduce a new carbon I believe OCLV800 was new to the Gen 6 replacing the 700 before it. I'm curious if/how the RSL bottle system will work on the Gen 7, I know its not designed for it but how will it fit with this frame and will it be worth getting for existing owners. The new bar looks similar to the current Gen 7 bar but more round, personally I don't use the tops of the bars for anything but with more of a climbing focus on the Gen 8, this makes sense.

I think the bike will do well, I think a lot of the hate is just due to yet another brand consolidating and leaving the customer less choice, and people really seem to like the Gen 7 which I still find interesting because I personally know a few friends of mine hate it.

mag

by mag

^ Yeah, but it's basically just a renamed new (and slightly more aero) Emonda - it's pretty obvious, thus the weight loss against the current Madone isn't any surprise at all. The current Emonda has claimed frame weight some 100g less AFAIK and the Tarmac SL8 is close to that as well, so on the other hand the weight of this new frame isn't anything stellar.

cleanneon98

by cleanneon98

Current Emonda SLR is 760/381 so this is within 5 grams, but this time using a new carbon. I def think the IsoFlow is lighter than IsoSpeed which was a bit complicated, but I don't think its lighter than a traditional post or even the Seatmast like current Emonda would be due to having to stregthen that wedge area. I wouldn't be surprised if whatever they lost with the new 900 carbon, they gained back be keeping the IsoFlow. There's also no getting around the fact that dropped seatstay bikes like the SL8 and SSE will pretty much always be lighter just due to having less material, and usually more aero too. I still prefer the look of the IsoFlow to the dropped stays though, even if I think the Gen 7 did it better.

I can't imagine this thing being less aero than the old Emonda though, that thing was not fast in a tunnell at all. Honestly if Tour tests it in the low 210s it'll still be a good compromise between the Emonda and Madone, but as much as I don't love the SL8 it still exists and still weighs less, and is also pretty aero in Tour test. I think this new TREK in an SL trim is really going to be the bread and butter, if they can keep it around $6k with Ultegra, 50mm wheels, and a carbon bar like the currently Madone SL that's not something that Specialized currently has an SL8 to compete with (they have the expert but it has Rival, shallow wheels, and alum cockpit), and it'll mostly be up against the SSE at that point at least here in the US.

spartan

by spartan

they claim it has same aero as madone 7 (tested 207 watt) with 2 aero bottles.
they also claim the bottles only reduce drag by 1.8 watts . their stock bars are more aero tha spec. so in theory this will be faster the spec sl8. we will see.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

ichobi

by ichobi

remember that Trek’s tunnel protocol is quite different than whats used in the Tour

Trek uses full manequin. Tour use lower half only. Trek uses two bottles, Tour uses one. Trek said they are going for the most realistic riding condition, hence full body and two bottles.

I guess thats why the gen 7 doesn’t test that well in Tour? When they released the bike they made some crazy saving claim like 15w but they compare to gen 6 madone , with the gen 7 which has a narrower cockpit.

If you do this with a full manequin obviously it’s going to be faster. Given that Tour doesn’t account for arrow drag saving of narrow bar (lower half manequin), Trek is at a disadvantage in Tour test but is supposedly quite faster than that 207w irl.

So if they can hit that number with the Madone 8 it would be cool. I guess with Tour we will be seeing 209-210w.

It’s not light though. 800g on black. So add another 50-100g for another color.

chase7545

by chase7545

ichobi wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2024 5:23 pm
remember that Trek’s tunnel protocol is quite different than whats used in the Tour

Trek uses full manequin. Tour use lower half only. Trek uses two bottles, Tour uses one. Trek said they are going for the most realistic riding condition, hence full body and two bottles.

I guess thats why the gen 7 doesn’t test that well in Tour? When they released the bike they made some crazy saving claim like 15w but they compare to gen 6 madone , with the gen 7 which has a narrower cockpit.

If you do this with a full manequin obviously it’s going to be faster. Given that Tour doesn’t account for arrow drag saving of narrow bar (lower half manequin), Trek is at a disadvantage in Tour test but is supposedly quite faster than that 207w irl.

So if they can hit that number with the Madone 8 it would be cool. I guess with Tour we will be seeing 209-210w.

So if you take out the aero bottles and assume 209 that exactly matches the Sl8 in the tour test. That means the iso flow does nothing besides compliance because specialized accomplished the same thing without it while also being slightly lighter. Basically this is a slightly heavier sl8 but possibly more comfortable to ride.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

chase7545 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2024 6:00 pm
ichobi wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2024 5:23 pm

So if you take out the aero bottles and assume 209 that exactly matches the Sl8 in the tour test. That means the iso flow does nothing besides compliance because specialized accomplished the same thing without it while also being slightly lighter. Basically this is a slightly heavier sl8 but possibly more comfortable to ride.
SO :roll: posting is comparing gen7 to gen8 possible results and you bring up SL8.. :noidea:
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ichobi

by ichobi

Check the searpost deflection on the tour test for the sl8 and madone gen 7 - guess what the Sl8 is almost at the same level

Gen 6 madone - 176n/mm
Gen 7 madone - 154n/mm
Sl8 - 156 n/mm

Aside from looking cool, i don’t think that hole does much of anything.

It doesn’t make the bike lighter, it doesn’t make it more aero. Certainly not there for stiffness. But it sure has a distinct look.

If my estimate is right the slr version (frame, in fancy colors) will weight around the tarmac sl8 10r (the non s-works).

However as i said Trek’s own test they believe that the gen 7 is one of the fastest bike (as i said they are at disadvantage in Tour test due to their frame being optimized with and for full manequin), so if the gen 8 can proves to be as fast or just slightly slower than the gen 7 , thats quite an accomplishment.

For this statement to be true you have to believe Trek’s version of aerodynamic though.