NEW new Madone 2025

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tiforlife

by Tiforlife

Official release (in Europe at least) is Monday before start of TdeF. They will be doing invite-only sneak previews in some stores a couple of weeks before.

In reference to Chase' comments above - I initially assumed they'd keep the Gen 7 in the lower SL spec and then the "Madonda" would be SLR only, but this isn't the case. Pricing wise it could come in LOWER than the current Gen 7, so I could see a few unhappy customers who've ordered a P1 Gen 7 that they won't receive until after the newer and cheaper Gen 8 has arrived.

Cleanneon you may not care for gravel but it's the only analog drop bar genre with any growth. Deteriorating road surfaces and driver ability are pushing roadies off road. I do agree with the overlap issue though - Trek seem to under- claim tyre clearance in order to differentiate the bikes. Carbon Domanes (claimed 38mn) will take 40mn tyres with 6mm clearance either side at the BB, and most people racing gravel seriously on Treks are on Domanes not Checkpoints. Be curious to see just how similar the new gravel bike is to the Domane.

Given Trek's Playbook is slowly copying their arch rival Specialized, and on-brand for this forum: I hope there's a team that have seen how incredibly successful the Aethos has been and who are developing a new Emonda that can again challenge for 'lightest production bike'. If you look at Spec road lineup they didn't actually reduce the number of models, they killed off the Venge and eventually replaced it with the Aethos.

So 🤞 for a 650g frame non UCI legal Emonda in 2026.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Tiforlife wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:35 am

Cleanneon you may not care for gravel but it's the only analog drop bar genre with any growth. Deteriorating road surfaces and driver ability are pushing roadies off road. I do agree with the overlap issue though - Trek seem to under- claim tyre clearance in order to differentiate the bikes. Carbon Domanes (claimed 38mn) will take 40mn tyres with 6mm clearance either side at the BB, and most people racing gravel seriously on Treks are on Domanes not Checkpoints. Be curious to see just how similar the new gravel bike is to the Domane.

The sponsored (Driftless) riders only bring out the Domane for champagne gravel like at SBT GRVL or hardpack dirt that isn’t too rooty/rutted. Unbound 2024 has proven that 50mm+ tires with deep rims are in.

ichobi

by ichobi

Tiforlife wrote:

Given Trek's Playbook is slowly copying their arch rival Specialized, and on-brand for this forum: I hope there's a team that have seen how incredibly successful the Aethos has been and who are developing a new Emonda that can again challenge for 'lightest production bike'. If you look at Spec road lineup they didn't actually reduce the number of models, they killed off the Venge and eventually replaced it with the Aethos.

While specialized SKU doesn't quite reduce, they massively reduce the molding / R&D/ tooling cost given that they now have to use just 2 molds for road bikes (SL8 / Aethos) than 3. Literally two molds because different tiers in the line ups for each are just layups difference. (Fact 12R / Fact 10R).

This is IMO the way to be sustainable. The two bikes are different enough that they don't canabilize each other, unlike what Trek were having with the 3 models. Some other more direct to consumer brands like Canyon can afford to have multiple line up as they have money to burn and no retialer overhead to share profit. Smaller brands like Cervelo can also have multiple road models given they have very little SKU for their entire portfolio.

Trek is following this playbook.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

ichobi wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:35 am

Why specialized SKU doesn't quite reduce, they massively reduce the molding / R&D/ tooling cost given that they now have to use just 2 molds for road bikes (SL8 / Aethos) than 3. Literally two molds because different tiers in the line ups for each are just layups difference. (Fact 12R / Fact 10R).

This is IMO the way to be sustainable. The two bikes are different enough that they don't canabilize each other, unlike what Trek were having with the 3 models. Some other more direct to consumer brands like Canyon can afford to have multiple line up as they have money to burn and no retialer overhead to share profit. Smaller brands like Cervelo can also have multiple road models given they have very little SKU for their entire portfolio.

Aren’t you forgetting the Roubaix SL8 exists?

ch00bzs

by ch00bzs

a bit disappointing

796g - ML (frame-only, painted)
350g (fork-only, painted)

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

so the reason behind Gen 7 being virtually unavailible is clear now. I asked around january, there were no SLRs in my size in foreseeable future (bike is not a car, i;m not willing to place an order and wait half a year...)

Madone is making a full circle here, from a lighter version of their standard race bike (which was 5900), to a full-aero weapon, to a weight oriented, rather ordinary frame with some 'aero features'.

kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

cleanneon98

by cleanneon98

Tiforlife wrote:
I could see a few unhappy customers who've ordered a P1 Gen 7 that they won't receive until after the newer and cheaper Gen 8 has arrived.
If I had a Gen 7 on order I would be a VERY happy camper right now if this is really the replacement, with the shallower post it's looking like 350g is a decent weight savings but according to the weights above it's still heavier than other do it all bikes and doesn't appear it'll be as aero either though time will tell. I know that both the 350g weight savings and a single digit watt change are likely inconsequential on the road for an average rider but as a Gen 7 owner its disappointing to see the Madone swing so far towards the Emonda with just one generation change. I still think it looks more balanced than the SL8 and given the choice I'd still skip the Spesh again.
TREK Madone Gen 7 SLR - 7.43kg
TREK Fuel EX Gen 5 - overbuilt and overweight

ichobi

by ichobi

TobinHatesYou wrote:
ichobi wrote:

Why specialized SKU doesn't quite reduce, they massively reduce the molding / R&D/ tooling cost given that they now have to use just 2 molds for road bikes (SL8 / Aethos) than 3. Literally two molds because different tiers in the line ups for each are just layups difference. (Fact 12R / Fact 10R).

I wouldn’t be surprised if they scrape that too. Paris Roubaix bike is a weird category given we now have all sorts of gravel bikes these days.

Tiforlife

by Tiforlife

:twisted:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:53 am
Tiforlife wrote:

The sponsored (Driftless) riders only bring out the Domane for champagne gravel like at SBT GRVL or hardpack dirt that isn’t too rooty/rutted. Unbound 2024 has proven that 50mm+ tires with deep rims are in.
I'm not referring to sponsored pros. I work for Trek in Northern Europe and loads of staffers race gravel to a UCI Worlds qualification standard, and not on US champagne gravel. They pay for their own bikes (obviously discounted) and they ALL race Domanes.

Unbound is a huge event and also an outlier in terrain. I've got a set of 650 x 2.1s for when my own Checkpoint goes on the chunky stuff so I'm not some Domane fanboi, but I can see why the new Checkmate might look so similar to the Domane.

johnsonmoog

by johnsonmoog

ichobi wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:20 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
ichobi wrote:

I wouldn’t be surprised if they scrape that too. Paris Roubaix bike is a weird category given we now have all sorts of gravel bikes these days.
Although it might be a good seller to endurance riders. I sold one a couple of years ago to Cycle Exchange and they said this was one of their most popular sellers. The Roubaix ticks a lot of boxes for comfort and so on and the Domane likely as well. But they are heavier bikes compared to a Madone/Tarmac/Propel/TCR etc.

rhender

by rhender

cleanneon98 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:36 am
Tiforlife wrote:
I could see a few unhappy customers who've ordered a P1 Gen 7 that they won't receive until after the newer and cheaper Gen 8 has arrived.
If I had a Gen 7 on order I would be a VERY happy camper right now if this is really the replacement, with the shallower post it's looking like 350g is a decent weight savings but according to the weights above it's still heavier than other do it all bikes and doesn't appear it'll be as aero either though time will tell. I know that both the 350g weight savings and a single digit watt change are likely inconsequential on the road for an average rider but as a Gen 7 owner its disappointing to see the Madone swing so far towards the Emonda with just one generation change. I still think it looks more balanced than the SL8 and given the choice I'd still skip the Spesh again.
I had the same thought when I read that. Unless this hypothetical purchaser just wants the latest and greatest from Trek specifically, I don't see how a Gen 7 purchaser would be anything but happy they bought the bike when then did.

chase7545

by chase7545

rhender wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:11 pm
cleanneon98 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:36 am
Tiforlife wrote:
I had the same thought when I read that. Unless this hypothetical purchaser just wants the latest and greatest from Trek specifically, I don't see how a Gen 7 purchaser would be anything but happy they bought the bike when then did.
Also agree. I wish I had gotten the gen 7 before it was out of stock. I'd gladly take 7.35kg beautiful looking true aero bike over a 7kg bike that looks like a hodge podge of different style bikes searching for an identity. Something about the design just looks off to me even compared to all the other one bike to do it all's. I think its the way different parts of the bike seem to alternate more abruptly than I've seen before between an aero leaning design(fork, seat post/tube, isoflow) and a climbing bike leaning design (downtube, top tube, seat stays). I'm still holding out a little hope that it at least looks better in person or with a custom paint theme available through p1.

cleanneon98

by cleanneon98

I don't think the color scheme is doing it any favors and I think it makes some tubes look smaller than they are, specifically the seatstays being yellow. In that terrible photo where it's like a matte gray, I like the proportions. I think its a good looking bike on its own, until you put it next to the Gen 7 and then it doesn't look bad but just not as good.

The issue I have visually with some bikes like the new Ostro is when the back is that thin but the front has super deep tubes. I'll take the weight penalty
TREK Madone Gen 7 SLR - 7.43kg
TREK Fuel EX Gen 5 - overbuilt and overweight

chase7545

by chase7545

IMG_2981.jpeg
Purported promotional material being sent to trek dealers.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

yup not infinity.. it's an 8
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com