Yet another narrow bar: Worx Narrow and Super Narrow Bars

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

apr46

by apr46

Video here, claming some eyepopping aero savings. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLEm2KziCVc

Seems like the arms race is on with the Aerocoach Ornix, Toot Ashaa RR and now these bars. The future is apparently here. And narrow.

Links:
Worx Narrow Bar: https://worxbikes.com/product/wx-r-carb ... c1-0-35cm/
Drops ~35cm C-C, tops ~30cm C-C

Worx Super Narrow Bar: https://worxbikes.com/product/wx-r-carb ... 1-33-copy/
Drops ~33cm C-C, tops ~24cm C-C

Aerocoach Ornix: https://www.aero-coach.co.uk/store/Aero ... p509540543
Drops 37.5cm C-C, tops 32.5cm C-C

Toot Ashaa RR Carbon: https://performance.tootengineering.com ... rr-carbon/
Drops ~35cm C-C, tops ~26 cm C-C

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

e4rthm0ver

by e4rthm0ver

Looks really interesting. Also 205g for super narrow

mrbrown4001

by mrbrown4001

Really hoping someone makes an integrated handlebar soon with these kinds of dimensions. Super cool stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OtterSpace

by OtterSpace

apr46 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:59 pm
Video here, claming some eyepopping aero savings. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLEm2KziCVc

Seems like the arms race is on with the Aerocoach Ornix, Toot Ashaa RR and now these bars. The future is apparently here. And narrow.
Glad to see more options coming to market.

Another one for the list is lambda cross-wing (formerly x-wing). Its been on the market awhile and is wider than most of the newer options.

https://www.lambda-tuning.de/en/shop
https://www.lambda-tuning.de/en/cross-w ... rad-lenker
x.PNG

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

TooT Ashaa RR remains the most thought-out option to me. I want the same reach to the tops as I would with any other bar, but with narrow hoods/grips, I need significantly more. I'm currently on the AeroCoach Ornix and have the Ashaa RR pre-ordered. I have played with the WR-X round bars, but 70mm reach is just far too short.

Lina

by Lina

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:04 am
TooT Ashaa RR remains the most thought-out option to me. I want the same reach to the tops as I would with any other bar, but with narrow hoods/grips, I need significantly more. I'm currently on the AeroCoach Ornix and have the Ashaa RR pre-ordered. I have played with the WR-X round bars, but 70mm reach is just far too short.
Yeah, you can't just make a 70 mm reach narrow bars, and if we're being honest I'm not a big fan of short reach bars even in wider format. Or well you can, but then you'll force the users to search for massive stems, and most of the customers for these are probably already on the longer end of stem length since these are specialty products mostly for the racing crowd that is looking for marginal gains and is already on that TT fit.

toxin

by toxin

Idk, if you do the math, the reach difference between normal and narrow bars isnt that big

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

toxin wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:45 am
Idk, if you do the math, the reach difference between normal and narrow bars isnt that big

Of course if you just draw straight line segments, the reach differences will be minor, but that’s not how our bodies work.

My shoulders shrug less and roll more forward with narrow bars. The narrower stance of my elbows also provides better support for my upper body, so an elongated position is more comfortable.

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

What are peep's takes on their claim that there will be more riders on bars like these in the next 12 months.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:04 am
Where do they even have the road version on their website? As far as I browsed around, only track version is shown.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Lina

by Lina

toxin wrote:
Yes if you just do trigonometry assuming that the shoulder is shoulder joint is static and bar width has no effect on shoulders then yes, the difference is minimal. However in the real world that's not how our bodies work as Tobin already said.
maxim809 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:18 am
What are peep's takes on their claim that there will be more riders on bars like these in the next 12 months.
Yes, so far these bars have been limited to a very small crowd of people specifically searching for them. But as they get more common more people will see them, maybe get to try how they feel on a friend's bike and notice the benefits. Personally I think they're better even in terms of comfort than wide bars. But I say that as someone who doesn't have the broadest shoulders. I've gone down from 41 to 38 to 36 to Ornix in the last couple of years and every step has been an improvement both in terms of aero and comfort on the bike.

Talrand

by Talrand

maxim809 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:18 am
I think what would really help their popularity is a AliX version people could get for ~$50 to get a feel for those. It's quite a big jump in position and dropping $300+ for what might be a fit-disaster is pushing people away.

Also, is UCI gonna keep those legal? They don't really fit the 'classic' look they like.

apr46

by apr46

I agree that the Ashaa Toot RR is probably the most thought through solution, from an academic standpoint and I look forward to seeing those of you that ordered them get along with them.

I do agree with the notion that more riders will be on these bars. We already see pros going down to the min size that companies are selling and we are likely to see that trend continue as the narrower sizes come to market. They clearly are coming, including in house designs from the chinese factories.

cheapvega

by cheapvega

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:02 am
toxin wrote:

Of course if you just draw straight line segments, the reach differences will be minor, but that’s not how our bodies work.

My shoulders shrug less and roll more forward with narrow bars. The narrower stance of my elbows also provides better support for my upper body, so an elongated position is more comfortable.
Another way to think about the fit changes is looking at how aero bars are set up. They generally extend way out in front of the bar. So narrow bars should sit somewhere in between, which will def require a longer stem.

RDY

by RDY

UCI will almost certainly rule that hood clamp c-c can be no less than 320 or 330 or if they're more liberal 300, soon. I expect most non-UCI race organizers to follow suit. Tbh it'd be one of their few rulings I'd agree with. Below that things get way too twitchy ... it's why even relatively few track riders go narrower than that.

As far as a stable, real word bar is concerned, either the Lambdas or the very heavy (because mg-al) new semi-custom Speecos are the only options I'm currently aware of. Personally I'd want a bit more than 37.5 in the drops than is available on the Ornix.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com