2024 Intergrated Giant TCR

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JMOS

by JMOS

Nice custom paint job for Plapp (via Instagram)
Attachments
plapp_gram.jpg

fizzaz

by fizzaz

It's these two builds from Plappy that make it seem oddly difficult to differentiate the Propel and TCR now. The seem very... Similar. More so than the last iteration.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JMOS

by JMOS

fizzaz wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:54 pm
It's these two builds from Plappy that make it seem oddly difficult to differentiate the Propel and TCR now. The seem very... Similar. More so than the last iteration.
If the ISP looks oddly short, chances are that it is a Propel (SL)

patliean1

by patliean1

JMOS wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:20 am
I wonder what headset cover they used for the build in order to slam the stem that low. The standard one that comes with the SL stem is just a tad too tall for me. Wish I could get my Propel about 5-10mm lower with the same stem.

Martin.dk

by Martin.dk

patliean1 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:06 pm
JMOS wrote:
I wonder what headset cover they used for the build in order to slam the stem that low. The standard one that comes with the SL stem is just a tad too tall for me. Wish I could get my Propel about 5-10mm lower with the same stem.
In the Propel thread, there's a pic of a spacer that combines the bearing top cover and the 1st spacer with the cable cutout.
Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez wrote:Ohh okay! I just knew "plug" was something to put inside a hole... yikes

patliean1

by patliean1

Martin.dk wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:43 pm
patliean1 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:06 pm
JMOS wrote:
In the Propel thread, there's a pic of a spacer that combines the bearing top cover and the 1st spacer with the cable cutout.
Found it, thanks!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CzAAuMiymR3 ... _copy_link

Man I wish I had seen this option before my replacement fork was installed. This one aspect is the final piece (pun) for my making my setup perfect.

ItalianEngineering

by ItalianEngineering

My advanced pro M raw carbon frameset came in today

Frameset 907g w/ both hangers. Pretty much exact to the chart (800 + 79 paint + 14.5 + 13.4) = 906.9g.
Fork 331g uncut, which seems to be well under the estimate of 330g cut + 16g paint, unless I'm making some error.

I was hoping the clear coat would be lighter, it loooks a bit thick but the carbon looks good. Bit of fraying inside the hole for the rear brake mount. I'll post some pictures later. The coloration of the logo is not very apparent, might have to wait for some sun.

fizzaz

by fizzaz

So what is the absolute minimum stack with the oem spacers? Is it as listed or are we looking at a bit more like most other integrated frames?

MagicShite

by MagicShite

Just finished building up the TCR 2024. A mate who also happened to order a DEFY SL swapped the headset transition cap to me so I can lower it by 5mm.

The stupid part here is while I'm done with the build, the Pro Vibe Aero SL handlebars requires a SPECIFIC K-EDGE AERO PRO VIBE RACE mount in order to mount on the handlebars.

Are these k-edge race mounts the same as the slightly cheaper but regular k-edge race mounts?

God damn it I'm retarded. :?
Attachments
IMG_20240503_185119.jpg

js

by js

My experience has been that the Pro Vibe Aero mounts from K-Edge aren't worth it.

They are pretty much the same thing as a standard K-Edge Pro Mount (no added weight), but they have some shaping to the clamp area, in two spots where the shape of the bar will interfere with the clamp.

I ordered one for a friend when he got the Vibe Aero bar and it never sat right. It was slightly twisted when first mounted - likely because the width of the Giant stem clamp/faceplate was slightly more than the Pro Vibe stem, so it was slightly furhter outboard (maybe 0.5mm?) which was enough to make the difference.

Eventually I got the same bar and tried the mount on that set-up, but it was still never straight. We even tried to shape the K-Edge clamp a bit more, but whatever we did, it was always slightly twisted.

In the end, we both swapped to the Giant stem-mounted out-front computer/light holder instead, which after adding a touch of carbon paste to the hinge after installing Bontrager lights underneath, has been perfect.

JMOS

by JMOS

MagicShite wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 1:25 pm
Just finished building up the TCR 2024. A mate who also happened to order a DEFY SL swapped the headset transition cap to me so I can lower it by 5mm.

The stupid part here is while I'm done with the build, the Pro Vibe Aero SL handlebars requires a SPECIFIC K-EDGE AERO PRO VIBE RACE mount in order to mount on the handlebars.

Are these k-edge race mounts the same as the slightly cheaper but regular k-edge race mounts?

Nice! What wheels are these? AR 565 with carbon spokes?

MagicShite

by MagicShite

JMOS wrote:
MagicShite wrote:

Nice! What wheels are these? AR 565 with carbon spokes?
Aye.
js wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 2:22 pm
My experience has been that the Pro Vibe Aero mounts from K-Edge aren't worth it.

They are pretty much the same thing as a standard K-Edge Pro Mount (no added weight), but they have some shaping to the clamp area, in two spots where the shape of the bar will interfere with the clamp.

I ordered one for a friend when he got the Vibe Aero bar and it never sat right. It was slightly twisted when first mounted - likely because the width of the Giant stem clamp/faceplate was slightly more than the Pro Vibe stem, so it was slightly furhter outboard (maybe 0.5mm?) which was enough to make the difference.

Eventually I got the same bar and tried the mount on that set-up, but it was still never straight. We even tried to shape the K-Edge clamp a bit more, but whatever we did, it was always slightly twisted.

In the end, we both swapped to the Giant stem-mounted out-front computer/light holder instead, which after adding a touch of carbon paste to the hinge after installing Bontrager lights underneath, has been perfect.
Thanks mate. I'm gonna go grab some frames and gears mount tomorrow :|

fizzaz

by fizzaz

MagicShite wrote:

Ahh I think this answers my question, thank you. Sick whip too.

ItalianEngineering

by ItalianEngineering

fizzaz wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 3:59 am
So what is the absolute minimum stack with the oem spacers? Is it as listed or are we looking at a bit more like most other integrated frames?
15mm

5mm headset cover
10mm integrated cables transition spacer
MagicShite wrote:
Do the Defy and TCR share the same spacer shape for overdrive aero but not the propel? The propel doesn't seem to have the rise in the rear of the spacer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fizzaz

by fizzaz

Okay so I guess I will soon find out. I ordered an Advanced Pro frameset and because they are out of all of the sizes I need for a stem, I chose to go with the Propel stem. Anybody know if I fuq'ed up?