Ritchey Superlogic seatpost doesn't meet manufacturers claimed weight

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

amallagh

by amallagh

I recently bought a 27.2mm x350mm Ritchey Superlogic seatpost having previously had 2 Flexlogic ones in the same size. I've always liked the Flexlogic shock absorbtion capability whilst still being lightweight. I double checked with Ritchey customer services before buying to confirm that the Superlogic seatpost was lighter than the Flexlogic Seatposts that I already had. I was clear that I would only buy it if it was lighter than what I had. At the same time I discussed with them that the weight of my Flexlogic seatposts were less than their current specification, that states it weighs 195g, but my Flexlogic seatposts weigh 158g and 165g respectively. (The lighter one had black alloy clamping tabs that the 2 seat rail clamping bolts fit into and the 165g version has silver coloured steel clamping tabs. The differnece in weight between the two is largely the difference in these clamping tabs). I checked with them that they simply hadn't rebranded the old Flexlogic seatpost as the Superlogic at a higher price and remanufactured the Flexlogic one in a lower grade heavier carbon. The customer service representative went away and double checked with their product development team and after a few days confirmed that the Flexlogic seatpost was unchanged and the newer Superlogic version was manufactured in a higher modulus carbon that was lighter and slightly stiffer. Based on their advice I went ahead and bought the Superlogic one to replace one of my Flexlogic ones with the assurance that it would be 145g as stated in their specification.

On receiving the new Superlogic seatpost I found it weighed exactly the same as the lighter of my existing FlexLogic ones at 158g.
I contacted the same customer service representative at Ritchey and asked them to exchange it for a one that meets their own specification which they refused to do whilst still saying that their Superlogic seatpost specification is correct (clearly it isn't).
I can only conclude that what I was told is completely wrong and Ritchey are mis-representing the specification of their Superlogic seatpost in an attempt to charge more for this product over the Flexlogic one which is now much heavier then it used to be.
So despite telling me otherwise it would appear that Ritchey have simply rebranded the old Flexlogic seatpost as Superlogic and selling it at a higher price point, and are now producing a heavier version under the Flexlogic name. It is also clear that the Superlogic seatpost does not even meet Ritcheys specification for weight at 145g. Mine weighs 158g and I have seen another buyer review online that says theirs weighed 155g so it is not an isolated case.
It is prety dissapointing that Ritchey have chosen to do this disceptive piece of rebranding to charge more while pretending that the Superlogic seatpost is something improved and lighter than their old Flexlogic seatpost. It isn't.
But what is more frustrating is that they gave me false information when I asked them about it, and I therefore wasted well over £200 buying what I was specifically told would be a lighter seatpost and it simply isn't. Ritchey suggested that this was 'manufacturing tolerance' but for such a simply shaped and compression moulded item I don't accept that and clearly the latest Flexlogic seatpost is now a derated and heavier version of what they used to sell despite them telling me that this was not the case.

Ritchey suggested returning the Superlogic seatpost to the retailer but I am in the UK and bought it from Bike Inn based in the EU so had to pay VAT and duty on arrival. If I retured it I would loose this money meaning I would only get 75% of the cost back. So I'm stuck with a seatpost I don't need and Ritchey refuse to stand by their specification and send me one that weighs what they say it should do at 145g.
My existing Flexlogix seatpost has performed well, but to get the same specification you now need to pay more and buy the Superlogic version and it does not meet Ritcheys specified weight. Buyer beware.
Last edited by amallagh on Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jagged

by Jagged

it's crazy how much yapping this is about a grand total of 13 grams.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Jagged wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:18 am
it's crazy how much yapping this is about a grand total of 13 grams.
The complaint is a valid one and Ritchey shouldn't be pulling this shit, but you have a point. Perhaps the OP could edit the original post down to 3 or 4 very concise sentences .

And it could be even more concise if you wish, something like:
Ritchey promised me that the new Superlogic weighs less than my Flexlogic. It doesn't. They lied. Bastards.

I think that covers it. :D
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Man you sound like a difficult customer. Send it back and get a refund. Don't buy Ritchey again. If you lose 70 bucks over this it's a shame, but it is what it is.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

That's a heavy post. Can't even get myself to read it. Probably at least 50g overweight from using too many words.

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

Nightmare customer

iow

by iow

You should be able to reclaim the VAT and duty for returned goods. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/633c0416d3bf7f187d0ddcb2/BOR286-English-09-22.pdf

amallagh

by amallagh

iow wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:34 am
You should be able to reclaim the VAT and duty for returned goods. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/633c0416d3bf7f187d0ddcb2/BOR286-English-09-22.pdf
Thanks Mark, I'll take a look at this and might try it.

calicyclist

by calicyclist

I recently bought the same seatpost but I did not weigh it upon arrival. Too lazy to take everything apart to do so but if I ever need to I will try to remember to weigh it.

I will say that it works much better than the previous two black inc seat posts I had which both cracked under normal torque. Wasted $600 on those.

Also, adjusting the tilt on it is a million times easier than the black inc ones. Have finally found a position I don't get any numbness from.
Argonaut RM3 | Pivot Trail 429

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

calicyclist wrote:I recently bought the same seatpost but I did not weigh it upon arrival. Too lazy to take everything apart to do so but if I ever need to I will try to remember to weigh it.

I will say that it works much better than the previous two black inc seat posts I had which both cracked under normal torque. Wasted $600 on those.

Also, adjusting the tilt on it is a million times easier than the black inc ones. Have finally found a position I don't get any numbness from.
The Ritchey one bolt system is the best on the market without a doubt. One of the big downfalls of the integration of cockpits is the loss of this.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

hannawald

by hannawald

I once returned faulty wheels bought to EU from the US seller and I got the paid taxes back. I remember I asked the clerk at the tax office and they helped me with the procedure.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Some of the risks when purchasing online. I get online prices can be better and some people live in places were they can't shop local but it's always weird when someone complains how difficult it is to return parts they don't like. It's something to think about before you make the purchase.

I do understand that this is Weightweenies and 15g is 15g. I certainly would find a way to remove 15g from that part.

JAZ

by JAZ

I've an older one and mine is bang on to the specified weight, but it's a 300mm 27.2 version, sure that's not the version they give the weight for? You've got the 350mm version so it would make sense to be 15g or so heavier.
Attachments
IMG_20240328_164205.jpg
IMG_20240328_164205.jpg (56.09 KiB) Viewed 560 times

amallagh

by amallagh

JAZ wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:53 pm
I've an older one and mine is bang on to the specified weight, but it's a 300mm 27.2 version, sure that's not the version they give the weight for? You've got the 350mm version so it would make sense to be 15g or so heavier.
The ones I have are all the 2 bolt version, not single bolt. All the data is accurate
https://www.tradeinn.com/bikeinn/en/rit ... 136390560/
and
https://www.tradeinn.com/bikeinn/en/rit ... 136390656/

NickB

by NickB

Ritchie are held in high esteem. I tried to report a counterfeit seat post to them. Their answer was, it's not ours it's counterfeit. Less than inspiring reply from someone with a not brilliant grasp of English. This post adds to my red flag.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com