best option for 3 bolt interface cranksets? any spindle goes (something light mid priced)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tireheb

by tireheb

searching for 3 bolt interface cranks, need to be 165.
i believe this is mainly a sram interface no? old
the lighter the better of course but dont want to spend too much, mid price i think is what i search.

any spindle is good as i need to replace the bb. 30mm oversized should be lighter no?
any ideas of whats currently available?
im trying to preserve my powermeter thats why

cheers!

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Praxis Zayante Carbon is 3 bolt.
Canecreek eeWings as well.

Both of them use the same Sigeyi Axo 3 bolt spider for Sram 3 bolt crank.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Upcountry

by Upcountry

Its worth noting, that the Cane Creek eeWings 3 bolt pattern is offset 180 degrees from Sram... So while Sram chainrings work fine on eeWings, the "cut out" for the crank arms found on a power meter are on the exact opposite side of where you need them. Sigeyi do make an eeWings version though(I have one).

My only input is that honestly, solid power meters are cheaper than cranksets these days... So it might be worth opening up your options there, and matching your power meter to your desire crankset especially as more and more brands are offering 165mm lengths now days.

tireheb

by tireheb

Upcountry wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:18 pm
My only input is that honestly, solid power meters are cheaper than cranksets these days... So it might be worth opening up your options there, and matching your power meter to your desire crankset especially as more and more brands are offering 165mm lengths now days.
thanks for the reply. yeah ive been thinking this. what i would want in this scenario is simple.
a spider (or similar) power meter with a light 52/36 chainset. best money/weight relation possible.
any ideas? yeah , this should be a new thread but starting a new one in so short time seems too much.
thanks!

Hexsense

by Hexsense

This is what I bought for my gravel bike:
Praxis Zayante carbon and Sigeyi Axo spider.
On the spider box, it say Sram 3 bolt...
So I know for sure it's the same power meter spider fitting.
https://powermetercity.com/product/sige ... -crankset/

You can get these crank arms from Praxis for $220. And reuse your spider.

Ps.I choose this crank because it's a light and inexpensive carbon crank that are offered down to 155mm.

Upcountry

by Upcountry

The Praxis are a nice options, albeit not the lightest, but $/gram they're probably up there. (400ish grams for 165mm) They're also easy to source, and since you mentioned BB30, I'd imaine there's a way to run a spacer on the non-drive side to simply use a BB30 bottom bracket(similar to GXP cranks in a Shimano BB).
It hard to look past the Sram Red crank arms, paired with any number of 8 bolt power meters. I'm not sure if you're looking to run 11 or 12 speed, so that dictates options a bit. Quarq's have been on sale for ridiculous prices here, with Dfour, Dzero, and XX1 spiders all well under $400 which makes it harder to justify a Magene or Sigeyi... The Red D1 Dub arms are around 340g and with a little digging can be picked up for $300(if not cheaper private party), while the outgoing GXP version can be had for a bit cheaper but weigh about the same as the Praxis.
I don't know that I'd look past some of the smaller Chinese direct brands either, perhaps through a middle man for some peace of mind... thinking Panda Podium.

MarkMcM

by MarkMcM

If the spider is designed to fit an SRAM crank, then the simplest approach is to get some SRAM Force 22 BB30 cranks. These are still available, and in the USA can be had for about $300.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com