Aethos Inspired Chinese 6.3kg Build with Quality Chinese Components ( ICAN FL1 ) - listing updated for final build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cheapvega

by cheapvega

Interested in this build. Looking to get a Chinese disc build under 7kg, but with decent comfort (padded saddle, at least 28c tires) and some nods to efficiency (aero bars, 2x drivetrain). This def gives me some ideas but man Farsports prices make my eyes water.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

billybear

by billybear

how much did you pay for the frame? looking foreward to the build, hope the frame does not have too much flex..

Beancouter

by Beancouter

billybear wrote:how much did you pay for the frame? looking foreward to the build, hope the frame does not have too much flex..
All of the costs are in the table above (£)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reedplayer

by reedplayer

Looking forward to this build.

The "Big Rock" looks different (imho better) than the "Aethos", but surprisingly it has exactly the same geometry.

The claimed weight of the Bigrock Sothea Team Edition is amazing.
https://www.pandapodium.cc/product/bigr ... -frameset/

Beancouter

by Beancouter

reedplayer wrote:Looking forward to this build.

The "Big Rock" looks different (imho better) than the "Aethos", but surprisingly it has exactly the same geometry.

The claimed weight of the Bigrock Sothea Team Edition is amazing.
https://www.pandapodium.cc/product/bigr ... -frameset/
I agree in the Bigrock- I was very close to getting it but concerned about spending that much on a frame that I can’t get on with.

In my first post, I mentioned i loved my aethos but didn’t like the aesthetics. The fuller story is that I had a bike fit on the Aethos before I cut the steerer and he told me I needed 40mm of spacers. For me, on a bike like an Aethos, that just doesn’t look right.

My view is that spacers on fully integrated frames work better, so worth a try.

The other gamble is that I am going to run less spacers on the ICAN (probably 20/25mm) and see how I get on. I have a dodgy back and have become obsessive over stack (my benchmark is my Synapse HiMod, which I can ride slammed, with a 590mm stack). It has become my #1 criteria in buying bikes (which I tend to change every 12/18 months) and does limit options.

As you will appreciate running a bike fit risk on a £4K bike wasn’t a goer, so the ICAN is perfect. If the experiment works. I might go for the Bigrock.

The one really key part of these Chinese inspired frames is that the chain stay profiles are very different than the Aethos, as well as having T47 v BSA. Taken with the more substantial head tube, I am not expecting them to have the magical ride quality of the Aethos (which is hard to describe but really very different to anything else I have ridden).

Last edited by Beancouter on Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

For anyone interested, attached is a bit more detail shared with me by ICAN.

Lecoops

by Lecoops

It looks good. I think with ICAN the frameset will be a safe bet.

polpy

by polpy

i was running a ICAN gravel frameset from 2016 until 2021 and it was a solid frameset. The only thing i would have had to criticize is the paintjob, but it rode good, even in harsh conditions and was definitely a steal for the price back then.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Might take a bit longer to arrive than I had hoped, so unlike y to be built for my holiday, which is a shame.

billybear

by billybear

i read that icanbikes.com is a scam and icancycling is the real website.. can you confirm? the prices on icanbikes are also lower..

Beancouter

by Beancouter

billybear wrote:i read that icanbikes.com is a scam and icancycling is the real website.. can you confirm? the prices on icanbikes are also lower..
I am assuming I haven’t been scammed, but making some enquiries. However,looking at the icancycling.com website, they do cross refer to icanbikes.com, so am assuming they are connected

That said, it’s entirely possible given how sophisticated fraudsters are today, but they have provided me with a lot of detail which couldn’t be scraped from the WWW.

Have paid with PayPal, so assume I am protected - hopefully it is legit….

Beancouter

by Beancouter

billybear wrote:i read that icanbikes.com is a scam and icancycling is the real website.. can you confirm? the prices on icanbikes are also lower..
Response from Icancycling.com

billybear

by billybear

what was the paypal adress they gave you? i have the one from icancycles. did you send them the money directly via paypal?

billybear

by billybear

i asked the guy it seems official is icancycling and the product display site is icanbikes.. so no worries;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Beancouter

by Beancouter

billybear wrote:what was the paypal adress they gave you? i have the one from icancycles. did you send them the money directly via paypal?
It is definitely legit!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by Beancouter on Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.