Does an SRAM XG-1150 need a lock ring?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bmcman

by bmcman

Just noticed something weird on my Sram XG-1150 (10-42) cassette- it doesn't have a lock ring present, and just a loose shirt pipe holding everything together.

Is this normal please?

As when doing a road side tyre repair, the cassette easily slides off! :shock:
Last edited by bmcman on Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

The lockring is integrated and done up with the usual cassette tool. It should never be sliding off the freehub body.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Karvalo

by Karvalo

bmcman wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:42 pm
As when doing a road side tyre repair, the cassetter easily slides off! :shock:
I'm going to assume that you mean the freehub body has slid off the wheel... which is nothing to do with the design of the cassette.

bmcman

by bmcman

Yes- currently if it tip the wheel over on its side, the cassette easily slides off the freehub with the shirt pipe falling out too?

Karvalo

by Karvalo

bmcman wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:43 pm
Yes- currently if it tip the wheel over on its side, the cassette easily slides off the freehub with the shirt pipe falling out too?
Photo?

bmcman

by bmcman

CampagYOLO wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:52 pm
The lockring is integrated and done up with the usual cassette tool. It should never be sliding off the freehub body.
Yeah sorry for the confusion, I meant the freehub body easily slides off, along with the cassette screwed on to it.

Not sure why SRAM went with this design, much prefer the Shimano in this case!

bmcman

by bmcman

CampagYOLO wrote:
Sorry- I meant the freehub body easily slides off, along with the cassette!

The end caps just slip on, so they easily slide off too.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

bmcman wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:45 pm
CampagYOLO wrote:
Yeah sorry for the confusion, I meant the freehub body easily slides off, along with the cassette screwed on to it.

Am I understanding you correctly?

The freehub body easily slides off (detaches from) the wheel hub?

If so then it's nothing to do with SRAM and everything to do with the design of the hub.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

bmcman wrote:
CampagYOLO wrote:

Right, so that's what I said was happening. The freehub is coming off the wheel, and it has absolutely nothing to do with the design of the cassette or anything SRAM did (unless your wheel is also made by SRAM).

Tool free freehubs that are held onto the wheels by friction fit endcaps are quite common now, some with tighter endcaps than others. Along with heavier 1x cassettes a looser endcap makes it a lot easier for the weight of the cassette to slide the freehub off when you don't want it to. You could try cleaning everything up and reinstalling, you could try getting a new set of endcaps for your wheels in case they're at all worn, you could check if there are any seals that need to be clipped into place to provide an extra bit of retention. Ultimately though you might just need to remember not to put the wheel cassette side down.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

bmcman wrote:
CampagYOLO wrote:

The obvious question then is what are your wheels?

As stated by other posters this isn't a fault of the cassette and the end caps should be holding everything in place.