My first road bike, a Look 785 Huez build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

HannibalLecter

by HannibalLecter

Greetings to all

So, I am a mechanical engineer that works as a bike mechanic in Germany, that is because I do not speak German as of yet, and the time has come for my first road bike.
I scored a Look 785 Huez in my size on ebay kleinanzeigen and I pulled the trigger. For the drivetrain I went for Sram Rival AXS because I like that it is completely wireless and also I dont have good experience with shimano on my mountain bike( older XT 785 and newer M8000). I also got the group from kleinanzeigen, new for 850 euro.
For the wheels I was contemplating buying Campa for the amazing looks and the history, but the cup and cone bearings put me off and also the weight was nothing to write home about. So I opted for Light bicycle AR465 rims UD braided, without logo and external nipples, both front and rear, DT swiss 240 exp centerlock 24 hole hubs and Sapim XC Rays, because I am a featherweight at around 70 kg. I will be building the wheels, my first complete build, so I hope I won't mess up. I am hoping for around 1350 grams, which is very light for an aero profile wheelset.
For the stem and handlebars I want to go integrated, mostly for the looks, but I have a problem because I want to steamline the stem with the headset spacers and since my headset is a traditional integrated one and not internal (that model has semi internal routing) I have run out of ideas. Probably something needs to be 3d printed.
For tires, Vittoria Corsa pro, with the yellow sides probably.
Thats it for now, and now is time for some pics!
Attachments
430258425_924261439110292_9172945561619327432_n1.jpg
1710187836688.jpg
1710187836565.jpg
1710187836128.jpg
1710187836251.jpg
1710187836445.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dvdrl

by dvdrl

Very nice! Have fun building it up. The black glossy frame is calling for white bar tape and saddle, of course 😁

Campy's cup & cone bearings are amazing. They just keep rolling.

Ypuh

by Ypuh

Welcome and enjoy your project! The Look's are -to me- some of the most iconic bike frames out there.
Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

HannibalLecter

by HannibalLecter

dvdrl wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:50 am
Very nice! Have fun building it up. The black glossy frame is calling for white bar tape and saddle, of course 😁

Campy's cup & cone bearings are amazing. They just keep rolling.
thank you! white tape quite probably, but Idk about a white saddle, if it will match the rest. Also, the vittoria tires are yellow on the side I think, so maybe better go for yellow white tape? I don't know yet

As for the campy, I know that this is the general opinion and I would like to try them, admittedly more for the looks, but I couldn't afford the USB hub wheelsets, so another time.

HannibalLecter

by HannibalLecter

Ypuh wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:00 am
Welcome and enjoy your project! The Look's are -to me- some of the most iconic bike frames out there.
Thanks! I wanted exactly that, a carbon frame, but one that is as timeless as possible. It was that or a titanium frame, but the ones I fancy are out of reach.

Some new parts as well, cassette, flattop chain, some really high quality tools and a color coordinated front brake adapter.
And an unfavorable note on the DT hubs, the finish is really sensitive. I have barely done anything with them and they are brand new!
Attachments
1710271595530.jpg
1710271595467.jpg
1710271595653.jpg
1710271746271.jpg

lukaszzsch

by lukaszzsch

Several weeks ago I was building my 785 hues rs. Fantastic experience!

Wysłane z iPad za pomocą Tapatalk

Magnetize6932

by Magnetize6932

lukaszzsch wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:36 pm

The yellow bartape looks great! Is that a tire pressure monitor on your front wheel?

lukaszzsch

by lukaszzsch

Yep, sks airspy.

Not so smart considering weighweenism but I appreciate possibility of continuous controlling the pressure.

HannibalLecter

by HannibalLecter

lukaszzsch wrote:

Thats a beautiful bike you got there. I was thinking about yellow bar tape and now I saw yours and I think I will go for it as well. Also I may buy the mondrian stickers for the fork and seatstays as well.
I too want an integrated handlebar and stem, but I am not yet convinced. Can I have a level profile pic of your setup?
And overall, how is the bike? Cheers
Last edited by HannibalLecter on Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

shimano and campy wheels are the best out there. worth the weight penalty over cartridge bearings

HannibalLecter

by HannibalLecter

mike wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:55 pm
shimano and campy wheels are the best out there. worth the weight penalty over cartridge bearings
the best certainly not. But they work quite well. Couldn't justify the weight penalty to go campagnolo and I wanted a ratchet freehub.

lukaszzsch

by lukaszzsch

HannibalLecter wrote:
lukaszzsch wrote:

Thats a beautiful bike you got there. I was thinking about yellow bar tape and now I saw yours and I think I will go for it as well. Also I may buy the mondrian stickers for the fork and seatstays as well.
I too want an integrated handlebar and stem, but I am not yet convinced. Can I have a level profile pic of your setup?
And overall, how is the bike? Cheers
Bike is extremely stiff in comparison with bmc tmr r01 I own as well.
I am really impressed about built quality, stiffness, overall appearance.
And price - I got very good discount, new frameset without seatpost for 1000 euros:)

Generally it’s good looking and quite light bike, weight with tubeless setup with 60 mls of sealant in each wheel, assiomas, garmin varia, trek ion 200 is finally:

The picture you asked for I will take soon.

HannibalLecter

by HannibalLecter

really nice, thank you. I got a good deal as well but not as good as yours, 1500 for frameset, seatpost, bits and pieces, axles and headset.
On another note, the dt hub bearings have a rough spot in the rotation, probably I will swap them. Has anyone encountered this?
And also, I am searcing for pillar xtra lite titanium spokes, but no luck.

By the way, what wheels are you running? nice weight

kitchencity

by kitchencity

HannibalLecter wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:17 pm
On another note, the dt hub bearings have a rough spot in the rotation, probably I will swap them. Has anyone encountered this?
They're preloaded so that once you tighten the 'axles' the bearings will spin freely.
https://www.dtswiss.com/en/wheels/wheel ... technology

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HannibalLecter

by HannibalLecter

kitchencity wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:50 pm
HannibalLecter wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:17 pm
They're preloaded so that once you tighten the 'axles' the bearings will spin freely.
https://www.dtswiss.com/en/wheels/wheel ... technology
yes, makes sence and I knew of chris king doing that, not dt. but the rough spot feels exactly like a pitted bearing and its in only one spot. Ill see what I will do.