My first road bike, a Look 785 Huez build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

lukaszzsch

by lukaszzsch

HannibalLecter wrote:really nice, thank you. I got a good deal as well but not as good as yours, 1500 for frameset, seatpost, bits and pieces, axles and headset.
On another note, the dt hub bearings have a rough spot in the rotation, probably I will swap them. Has anyone encountered this?
And also, I am searcing for pillar xtra lite titanium spokes, but no luck.

By the way, what wheels are you running? nice weight
Hi,

I had very good experience with Aeolus xxx4 and decided to buy Aeolus xxx2 for my „mountain setup”

More pictures:

HannibalLecter

by HannibalLecter

very beautiful bike you have there. I will go with the yellow tape as well. And you reverse started it so it ends on the bar plugs, really nice.
Some updates on my wheel rims and some photos of my pump, a very nice SKS
Attachments
Screenshot_338.png
1710610394924.jpg
1710610394885.jpg
1710610394672.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lukaszzsch

by lukaszzsch

It’s my first time with reversed taping and I don’t recommend surely. Tape curls up messily.

But generally trial was worth almost nothing - this yellow ribbon cork tape costs 4 Euros

HannibalLecter

by HannibalLecter

I may try the reverse tape tecnique, see how I like it. On another note, my Light bicycle rims have just been shipped from China, so I hope I will start the wheel build soon.
So, some questions.
Has anyone used the titanium pillar spokes? I want to try them for the weight savings, even compared to CX Rays, but they seem unobtainable and without any lengths available.
Second, I would like to buy interior spline wolftooth lock rings for my discs, but a friend of mine has similar shimano ones on dt e1800 wheels and in the front I think, the tool doesnt engage enough with the lock ring.Is this the same with dt 240 exp hubs? should I go for external splines?

HannibalLecter

by HannibalLecter

HannibalLecter wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:46 pm
I may try the reverse tape tecnique, see how I like it. On another note, my Light bicycle rims have just been shipped from China, so I hope I will start the wheel build soon.
So, some questions.
Has anyone used the titanium pillar spokes? I want to try them for the weight savings, even compared to CX Rays, but they seem unobtainable and without any lengths available.
Second, I would like to buy interior spline wolftooth lock rings for my discs, but a friend of mine has similar shimano ones on dt e1800 wheels and in the front I think, the tool doesnt engage enough with the lock ring.Is this the same with dt 240 exp hubs? should I go for external splines?
bump because I really can't find titanium spokes

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Curious why you want to use titanium spokes as a retrofit. Theoretical weight saving sounds good, but any concerns about change in overall wheel stiffness and impact on comfort/power transfer?

I hear that with carbon spokes the stiffness is usually greater than steel so using the same number of spokes on the same design of rim results in a much stiffer wheel (less comfort). This is why some carbon wheels use fewer spokes.

Does the same issue apply to titanium spokes?

Shadco

by Shadco

There is just something about Look and Campy that is hard to resist. And I am a big fan of cup and cone hubs.

785's are very nice.

HannibalLecter

by HannibalLecter

Nickldn wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:21 pm
Curious why you want to use titanium spokes as a retrofit. Theoretical weight saving sounds good, but any concerns about change in overall wheel stiffness and impact on comfort/power transfer?

I hear that with carbon spokes the stiffness is usually greater than steel so using the same number of spokes on the same design of rim results in a much stiffer wheel (less comfort). This is why some carbon wheels use fewer spokes.

Hello
I don't want to retrofit with titanium spokes, my wheelset isnt built yet. The finished bike on this thread is not mine :)
the reason that I want to go with titanium spokes is of course primarily the weight savings and second the cool factor. I am pretty lightweight (67 kgs) and not very strong so why not.
As for your question about stiffness relatively to carbon spokes, my engineering assumption, considering the fact that stiffness is really determined by only two things, the modulus of elasticity E and the moment of inertia I in the direction that interests us (lateral to the wheel/bike because that's when the spokes bend during a corner. When the bike travels straight the spokes are getting loaded only in tension), the first is an inherent property of the material, the second is determined of the shape and area, for steel vs cfrp, the cfrp spokes will have both E and I of greater magnitude. E because of the material properties and I because they are thicker usually, they end up stiffer.
As for titanium, someone could argue that it can also be stiffer than steel, beacuse due to it's smaller E and strength (strength not specific strength/weight ratio) compared to steel, the thickness must be bigger and that could also result in stiffer spokes because of the bigger moment of inertia.
there are finer details to that analysis, but thats what I can think, without at least checking every cross section and material properties to come to the conclusion why everything works as it does.

HannibalLecter

by HannibalLecter

Shadco wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:36 pm
There is just something about Look and Campy that is hard to resist. And I am a big fan of cup and cone hubs.

785's are very nice.

the looks are awesome, I am hesitant about the bearings and also I couldnt get light enough wheels on my budget

Nickldn

by Nickldn

HannibalLecter wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:04 pm
Nickldn wrote:

Hello
I don't want to retrofit with titanium spokes, my wheelset isnt built yet. The finished bike on this thread is not mine :)
the reason that I want to go with titanium spokes is of course primarily the weight savings and second the cool factor. I am pretty lightweight (67 kgs) and not very strong so why not.
As for your question about stiffness relatively to carbon spokes, my engineering assumption, considering the fact that stiffness is really determined by only two things, the modulus of elasticity E and the moment of inertia I in the direction that interests us (lateral to the wheel/bike because that's when the spokes bend during a corner. When the bike travels straight the spokes are getting loaded only in tension), the first is an inherent property of the material, the second is determined of the shape and area, for steel vs cfrp, the cfrp spokes will have both E and I of greater magnitude. E because of the material properties and I because they are thicker usually, they end up stiffer.
As for titanium, someone could argue that it can also be stiffer than steel, beacuse due to it's smaller E and strength (strength not specific strength/weight ratio) compared to steel, the thickness must be bigger and that could also result in stiffer spokes because of the bigger moment of inertia.
there are finer details to that analysis, but thats what I can think, without at least checking every cross section and material properties to come to the conclusion why everything works as it does.
So do you intend to have wheels built up for you, or do it yourself?

If the former then I'm sure your wheelbuilder will be able to provide guidance on spokes and when/if titanium is suitable choice.

If you're doing it yourself then all I can say is let us know how it goes.

Personally if I was looking for light wheels I'd go for carbon spokes every single time.

HannibalLecter

by HannibalLecter

Nickldn wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:03 pm
HannibalLecter wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:04 pm
Nickldn wrote:

Hello
So do you intend to have wheels built up for you, or do it yourself?

If the former then I'm sure your wheelbuilder will be able to provide guidance on spokes and when/if titanium is suitable choice.

If you're doing it yourself then all I can say is let us know how it goes.

Personally if I was looking for light wheels I'd go for carbon spokes every single time.
the latter. And I am curious on why ti spokes are not discussed more often. Carbon spokes are proven to be unreliable most of the times, as they delaminate from the metal part. Still, I don't think they are available as standalone option, are they? I would go for berg rope spokes but I wont spent 450+ euro for spokes

HannibalLecter

by HannibalLecter

Finally!
my lightbicycle AR 465 rims are here, and the quality is impeccable
Attachments
1712171516805.jpg

HannibalLecter

by HannibalLecter

I finally built the front wheel, not tensioned yet because I don't have yet the tension meter, but it looks really cool. I hope I'll get the rear hub soon too. Feeding the nipples through the valve hole and fishing them with a magnet wasn't very pleasant though
Attachments
IMG_20240418_105415.jpg
IMG_20240418_105449.jpg
IMG_20240418_105925.jpg