Campagnolo vs Shimano Rim Brake Calipers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

OCSlick

by OCSlick

Building up a new rim brake bike with SRAM Red eTap and some Bora Ultra 35s, and was thinking about using the SRAM Aerolink Rim Brake Calipers until reading the many horror stories and threads about keeping them centered properly. I want this bike to no be a headache for me and so I am looking into new brake caliper options. Want to avoid EE brakes as they are too expensive.

From my research looks like my options for calipers 300g and under with good performance would be:
Super Record Dual Pivot (latest version)
Record Dual Pivot (latest version)
Dura-Ace 9100

Anyone have a comparison between these options?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MarkMcM

by MarkMcM

You might want to reconsider the Campagnolo brakes. Not because of anything to do with braking performance (they are in fact excellent stoppers), but due to their lack of a quick release lever. Campagnolo builds their rim brake quick release mechanism into the lever, whereas SRAM and Shimano buidl their quick release mechanism into the caliper. Mixing Campagnolo levers and an SRM or Shimano calipers will give you two quick releases per brake, but mixing SRAM or Shimano levers will be give you no brake quick releases at all.

bobones

by bobones

The SRAM Aerolink calipers are fine: just use a 13mm spanner to centre them and then they stay that way. Get the later ones with the updated logos as these are more suited to wide rims. I've never tried Dura Ace, but I much prefer Red and Force calipers to my R7000 105s.