new RED xplr 13speed UDH

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Also look closely at a MTB Transmission cassette, only a fraction of the teeth on each cog follow a narrow-wide profile. They would not be able to shift if the entire cog was narrow-wide.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:27 am
Also look closely at a MTB Transmission cassette, only a fraction of the teeth on each cog follow a narrow-wide profile. They would not be able to shift if the entire cog was narrow-wide.
Yeah. I guess I'm too wide open on what is considered narrow-wide then.
The way I count was, if the chain cannot mash the whole rotation of a cog in either inner-link first or outer-link first. That means it can only mash on the cog in one way. If that is caused by wide teeth that can only mash with outer chain link. Then I count the cog as narrow wide despite them having less wide teeth than narrow teeth which can mash with either inner or outer link.

Curious, do you only consider it narrow wide cog if it strictly follow narrow-wide alternating pattern? I might have to update my categorization.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Hexsense wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:56 pm
It literally does what narrow-wide always design to do. Hold chain on the cog. And don't allow inner chain pin to mash on wide teeth.
You're absolutely right - my apologies to you both.

Still though - Transmission or not, the new cassette can have odd tooth count sprockets, because Transmission does too.

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

Minirac wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:35 pm
Posnetek zaslona 2024-03-11 173339.png

If this is real Shimano is screwed. They might as well stick to fishing and wal-mart bikes. They are so far behind technology wise they'll be irrelevent soon.

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

OtterSpace wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:05 pm
Nice something to try on the ebike if I get bored.

Hopefully this gen of brakes is better and hopefully the new hidden buttons can be configured for shifting.

Also I hope they dont go aluminium for the largest cogs like they are doing for other cassettes. Although it saves weight it wears quickly especially if you are adding assistance.

Also for ebikes you can just wire up the rd to the main battery and never have to charge the derailleur like they do already on the domane+.
Capture.PNG

Basically I see this playing well in the gravel and ebike space and further SRAMs ecosystem.
Nobody cares about electric gravel bikes. Making a group heavier so lazy people have parts that last longer is not in the SRAM Red DNA,

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

OnTheRivet wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:30 pm
Minirac wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:35 pm
Posnetek zaslona 2024-03-11 173339.png

If this is real Shimano is screwed. They might as well stick to fishing and wal-mart bikes. They are so far behind technology wise they'll be irrelevent soon.
Lol, nah. I still have zero desire to switch to SRAM. Heavier, weird shifting pressing both levers to shift FD, ugly, and screw the external double batteries. Shimano is still miles ahead in my eyes. And I'm sure I'm not in the minority.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

3 of my main 5 (that I ride) are SRAM.... my road race bike(s) I dont see any reason to switch from Shimano
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

fatpinarellorider

by fatpinarellorider

Looking at this, I am starting to feel really old. :cry:

HansZuDemFranz

by HansZuDemFranz

FWIW the new Rose Backroad FF (race orientated gravel bike) comes with UDH.

grooveninja

by grooveninja

I would love to see SRAM have a 10-44 and 10-48 red cassette for the road/gravel. Something lighter and a bit closer spaced in between the current 10-52 and 10-44. If I lived someplace flatter, I'd likely think differently. However, most of my 30km rides have 1,000M of climbing/descending minimum, with longer rides usually having 2-4k meters of climbing.

It will be interesting if XPLR moves to T-Type / UDH, but I've found it to be a good upgrade on my MTB and gravel bike in terms of shifting quality.

I have a Stigmata gravel bike with a 1x12, 40 or 44 w/ 10-52 Transmission T-Type cassette & XX SL derailleur. Increasingly, I'm just riding the gravel bike on paved climbs to spin more (our climbs often have 15-20% sections) or give me the option to take a fire road on our gravel trail. Even for travel, such as a trip last year to Salsburg with mostly road rides, I traveled with my gravel bike and 35s vs. my road bike. Its being less and less often I'm riding my road bike.

Five years ago, I did the Cent Cols Challenge and got SRAM Red AXS for my road bike. At the time, the 46/33 w/ 10-33 seemed crazy low and specific for only this type of ride. However, with more time riding my gravel bike on the road, if I were to do CCC again, it would likely be following Jered Gruber's 1x recommendations.

https://www.sram.com/en/life/stories/ce ... t-pyrenees

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

grooveninja wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:21 am
I would love to see SRAM have a 10-44 and 10-48 red cassette for the road/gravel. Something lighter and a bit closer spaced in between the current 10-52 and 10-44. If I lived someplace flatter, I'd likely think differently. However, most of my 30km rides have 1,000M of climbing/descending minimum, with longer rides usually having 2-4k meters of climbing.

It will be interesting if XPLR moves to T-Type / UDH, but I've found it to be a good upgrade on my MTB and gravel bike in terms of shifting quality.

I have a Stigmata gravel bike with a 1x12, 40 or 44 w/ 10-52 Transmission T-Type cassette & XX SL derailleur. Increasingly, I'm just riding the gravel bike on paved climbs to spin more (our climbs often have 15-20% sections) or give me the option to take a fire road on our gravel trail. Even for travel, such as a trip last year to Salsburg with mostly road rides, I traveled with my gravel bike and 35s vs. my road bike. Its being less and less often I'm riding my road bike.

Five years ago, I did the Cent Cols Challenge and got SRAM Red AXS for my road bike. At the time, the 46/33 w/ 10-33 seemed crazy low and specific for only this type of ride. However, with more time riding my gravel bike on the road, if I were to do CCC again, it would likely be following Jered Gruber's 1x recommendations.

https://www.sram.com/en/life/stories/ce ... t-pyrenees
Why do you need 10-48 ? there are already 10-50 and been for a decade now almost. Works great both on MTB, gravel and road depending on front chainring size.