Campy SR11 Caliper Refurb

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

colley340

by colley340

Evening All,

If one wanted to overhaul a set of SR11 calipers due to various scratches like the images below, want process would i take? Would it be a case of sandblasting them back to cast alloy or ultra sonic cleaning them? Does anyone know what the black Campy 11s calipers were coated in from factory? Was it a powder coat or wet spray enamel? Can this be purchased and reapplyed as a DIY job?
Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 20.12.09.png
Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 20.12.09.png (391.34 KiB) Viewed 448 times
For the graphics, the only reproductions i can find are on ebay but i think these are just vinyl stickers opposed to the floated on printed type. I guess i could get some inverse stencils done so i could have them air brushed on, however they would be exposed on the surface without protection like the OEM ones, which is why they get damaged too easily.
Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 20.12.29.png
Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 20.12.29.png (214.32 KiB) Viewed 448 times
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145395579426 ... PUQAvD_BwE

Cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

diecast

by diecast

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't they anodised rather than painted?

I once put a set of old chorus brakes through an ultrasonic cleaner with some too strong degreaser and they came out very clean but also shiny blue-grey instead of black.

colley340

by colley340

Thanks, can anyone confirm?

OtterSpace

by OtterSpace

Probably easier to keep a look out for a nice like new set on the second hand market and then sell yours for a slightly lower price afterwards. It might take awhile to find a suitable replacement but way less effort and better more original final product.

Alternatively you could vinyl wrap the bottom scratches to hide them and better protect the brake and cover the top with the stickers you found.

Regardless with use the bottom surface will likely continue to scratch.

Or learn to embrace Wabi Sabi these marks are a sign of you using and loving your bike and can be viewed as a kind of patina.